Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Walt Disney quotes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Jan. 10, 2005, 5:51 pm Quote

"Marc, you and I don't worry whether anything is cheap or expensive. We only worry whether it's good. I have a theory that if it's good enough, the public will pay you back for it."

- - Walt Disney to Imagineer Marc Davis on the cost of revamping a Disneyland attraction

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Jan. 10, 2005, 6:16 pm Quote

"Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a gold mine--but we have had our problems.  You've got to work it and know how to handle it.  Even trying to keep the park clean is a tremendous expense.

And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.'  But I don't believe in that--it's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh."

- - Walt Disney  

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Jan. 10, 2005, 6:19 pm Quote

In the "Theme Park Landscapes: Antecedents and Variations" book edited by Terence Young and Robert Riley -- long extract of the book is found here in PDF format or converted into HTML format by Google, here. Here's a quote from that book, with the section about what Walt said put in bold by me:

[Quoting the book:] From its earliest days, Disneyland quite pointedly presented its displays as the embodiments of sets of values, some universal and others quintessentially American, that is, the distillation of an authentic American character and way of life: “Disneyland will be based upon and dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America. And it will be uniquely equipped to dramatize these dreams and facts and send them forth as a source of courage and inspiration to all the world.” Quite strikingly, this distillation was conceived as existing only in Disneyland, as if it had been lost outside it. Thus the Disney Worlds were not merely separate universes, palisaded off from the outside; they were quite determinedly alternate universes.

A striking assertion of this is said to have come from Walt Disney himself in a conversation with the Reverend Billy Graham. Disappointed when, after a recent visit to Disneyland, Graham merely noted that he had had “a nice fantasy” there. Disney is reported to have responded: “You know the fantasy isn’t here. This is very real. . . . The park is reality. The people are natural here; they’re having a good time; they’re communicating. This is what people really are. The fantasy is -— out there, outside the gates of Disneyland, where people have hatreds and people have prejudices. It’s not really real!”

- - -
Footnote: Findlay, Magic Lands, 70. Findlay does note that this remarkable conversation may be apocryphal. It is unquestionably congruent with other remarks made about “Disney Realism.” Umberto Eco has pursued this idea in Travels in Hyper-Reality (London, 1986). “Disneyland tells us that faked nature corresponds much more to our daydream demands . . . [and] tells us that technology can give us more reality than nature can,” 44.25 Zukin, Landscapes of Power, 222.26 Findlay, Magic Lands, 67.
- - -

This assertion that Disneyland has co-opted reality is found not only coming from the mouth of Disney himself; it was a conscious litany and justification during the theme park’s early days. As Sharon Zukin has written, “Disney’s fantasy both restored and invented collective memory. ‘This is what the real Main Street should have been like,’ one of Disneyland’s planners or ‘imagineers’ says. ‘What we create,’ according to another, ‘is a “Disney realism,”sort of Utopian in nature, where we carefully program out all of the negative, unwanted elements, and program in the positive elements.’” Although we do not tend to equate Disneyland with historical theme parks such as Plymouth Plantation and Williamsburg, one cannot help but register the extent to which the“imagineers” approach has been readily applied to them. At Williamsburg, as at Disneyland, moreover, there is an implicit and carefully nurtured assumption that we live in a postlapsarian America and are, as a result, consumed by a nostalgic longing to regain an authentic national culture from which we have grown increasingly distant. This lost but intensely desired culture was grounded in a life of simple patterns in which no labor was alienated and all social relationships were face-to-face: “In being transported to some not very well defined golden age -— perhaps the period 1900–1910 as presented along Main Street U.S.A., or the pioneer era as suggested in Frontierlandand in touring ‘lands’ devoted to fantasy, adventure, and the future, visitors could escape their unnatural present-day cares, ‘drop their defenses,’ and become more like themselves.”  It has become a truism of recent writing on tourism that the nostalgia so frequently identified as central to certain of its common experiences reflects a desire to regain an enduring, authentic life to act as an apotropaic buffer against our contingent, chaotic, and somehow inauthentic daily existence. The creators of our modern theme parks appear to be driven at least in part by the belief in the need to provide arenas in which our nostalgic desire for an irretrievably lost world can be palliated. The claim that what one finds in Disneyland is more “real” than the world outside its walls and that a lost authentic culture persists there is certainly a provocative one.

[...]
"Michael Eisner is not presented as the embodiment of 'Disney.' It is interesting to ponder, however, the extent to which the embrace of Disneyland in its early days was linked to the avuncular presence of Walt Disney himself. He did give the corporation a personal character."

[End of quoted material.]

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Jan. 10, 2005, 6:20 pm Quote

I think Walt's comment about what is real and what is fantasy ties in with the the "Disney Girls" song by the Beach Boys, in which they sang these words:

"Oh reality, it's not for me
And it makes me laugh
Oh, fantasy world and Disney girls
I'm coming back."

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Jan. 12, 2005, 2:04 am Quote

"Our greatest natural resource is our children"-

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
dizneluver9 Offline
Kelly D./KDizne/Dizneluver/NDA#5 <>

Disney Quotes, Disney CDs & Music, and Disabilities/Special

Posted: Jan. 12, 2005, 12:57 pm Quote

Oh my...where do I start with Walt quotes! :)   I have a book called "The Quotable Walt Disney"..It was published by Disney Editions in 2001...There are 16 different topics that the quotes fall under...highly reccommended :)

Here are a few of my favorites from the book....

From the chapter on business and the walt disney company...

"A man should never neglect his family for business."

"You can dream, create, design, and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requries people to make the dream a reality."

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do.  I have had fun on the job.  I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." :)

from chapter on sucess and failure..

"All the adversity I have had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles have strengthened me"

" Get a good idea, and stay with it.  Dog it and work at it until it's done and done right."

from chapter on children, young and old :D

"Childishness?  I think it's the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor.  I mean, there's a certain something that you retain.  It'ls the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can't laugh at others."

from chapter on the family

"The important thing is the family.  If you can keep the family together...  and that's the backbone of our whole business, catering to families...that's what we hope to do."

from the chapter on life

"I love the nostalgic myself.  I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."

"Never get bored or cynical.  Yesterday is a thing of the past."

"In bad times and good, I have never lost my sense of zest for life."

Just a few of the many from the book...hope you enjoyed reading them...if you want I can post more...Just let me know :D

--------------
Formerly a DS CM, RD CM, Operation Participant CM with on property child care provider and with in roomchild care provider (KNO)

Fiancé to the wonderful Tait B

NDA #5 to CJD, EHD, DAD, RSH, MNH, CT, QT, BT and CBT

Ck out DIZNELUVER'S WORLD
All Things Disney From KD'S Persperspective!

www.dizneluversworld.com

PAST TRIPS

DL
April 1971, when I was 9 months old ...yes 9 months old! :D

WDW
Too many  to count and/or to mention all of them....:D

DCL
Wonder - October 2003
Dream - Feb/March 2011 aka WDW RADIO CRUISE 1.0

NEXT TRIP

Summer 2013
DCL Wonder to Alaska with my sweetie for my HONEYMOON!!!! :D
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Jan. 13, 2005, 1:12 pm Quote

Kelly is indeed posting quotes from that book in a separate topic in this forum ( The Quotable Walt Disney ), but here is another great quote from Walt Disney in this topic:

"No one person can take credit for the success of a motion picture.  It's strictly a team effort. From the time the story is written to the time the final release print comes off the printer, hundreds of people are involved - each one doing a job - each job contributing to the final product. And - if the picture wins an award, the feeling of satisfaction...can rightfully be shared by each and everyone."

- - Walt Disney

"The inclination of my life - the motto, you might call it - has been to do things which will give pleasure to people in new and amusing ways.  By doing that I please and satisfy myself.  It is my wish to delight all members of the family, young and old, parent and child, in the kind of entertainment my associates and I turn out of our Studio in Burbank, California."

- - Walt Disney

"We have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment -- as, conversely, in all good entertainment there is always some grain of wisdom, humanity, or enlightenment to be gained."

- - Walt Disney

"When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say, 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was just the point- mine wouldn't be."

- - Walt Disney

"Deeds rather than words express my concept of the part religion should play on everyday life."

- - Walt Disney

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
dizneluver9 Offline
Kelly D./KDizne/Dizneluver/NDA#5 <>

Disney Quotes, Disney CDs & Music, and Disabilities/Special

Posted: Jan. 13, 2005, 4:36 pm Quote

Rich,

Great quotes...where did you get them from?

--------------
Formerly a DS CM, RD CM, Operation Participant CM with on property child care provider and with in roomchild care provider (KNO)

Fiancé to the wonderful Tait B

NDA #5 to CJD, EHD, DAD, RSH, MNH, CT, QT, BT and CBT

Ck out DIZNELUVER'S WORLD
All Things Disney From KD'S Persperspective!

www.dizneluversworld.com

PAST TRIPS

DL
April 1971, when I was 9 months old ...yes 9 months old! :D

WDW
Too many  to count and/or to mention all of them....:D

DCL
Wonder - October 2003
Dream - Feb/March 2011 aka WDW RADIO CRUISE 1.0

NEXT TRIP

Summer 2013
DCL Wonder to Alaska with my sweetie for my HONEYMOON!!!! :D
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Jan. 13, 2005, 10:25 pm Quote

Quote (dizneluver9 @ Jan. 13, 2005 15:36 am/pm)
Rich,

Great quotes...where did you get them from?

Most of them I had saved from emails SaveDisney.com had sent out and I had saved-- and some of them I had posted already posted in the "Walt Disney" topic found in the Disney Stars forum here on the Disney Echo.
:WaltDisney3:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Jan. 23, 2005, 8:29 pm Quote

When asked how it felt to be a celebrity, Walt Disney said, "It feels fine when it helps to get a good seat for a football game. But it never helped me to make a good film or a good shot in a polo game, or command the obedience of my daughter. It doesn't even seem to keep fleas off our dogs - and if being a celebrity won't give one an advantage over a couple of fleas, then I guess there can't be much in being a celebrity after all."

Asked late in life which achievements he was proudest of, Disney did not mention children, joy or family values. "The whole damn thing," he snapped, "the fact that I was able to build an organization and hold it."

Walt Disney was delighted with the music in his classic animated feature Fantasia, in particular that borrowed from the Pastorale Symphony. "Gee!" he exclaimed after seeing the result. "This'll make Beethoven!"

Source: Time magazine, Dec. 27, 1954

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
23 replies since Jan. 10, 2005, 5:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Walt Disney quotes
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement