Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Imagineering Artist, Is it still one< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Magus Offline
Tyler

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Group: Members
Posted: June 16, 2006, 4:12 pm Quote

After much research and thinking of my current state in school right now. I have come to one conclusion I can draw pretty well. And to become an Imaginer one must learn engineering and probably get their masters in it. I'd much rather be some type of artist for Disney. But one question comes to mind; does that still count as an Imaginer if you’re an artist and not designing rides?

Also a bunch of other Questions come to mind like what if Disney sticks with CG art forever does that mean I must learn graphics design as well as Paper & Pencil art??

And one more Question came to my mind... I have noticed in the Disney Gallery of art above Pirates that their are a ton of pictures done by random artists that look so awesome but are pretty expensive. Does anyone know are these done by people and than proposed to Disney if they want to sell their art or does Disney want these done by specific artists?

Thanks for any help I can get
:)
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: June 16, 2006, 6:53 pm Quote

Imagineering is a wholly separate part of Disney.  What you're expressing interest in spans several departments:  Disney Feature Animation, Disney TV animation, and concept and execution art for things such as designs on souvenirs.  Disney also has high end art created by a lot of people.  Some started as the original artists who worked on Walt Disney's short cartoons and feature length animated pictures.  Some do background art for these movies, against which the animated characters move.

In Imagineering they need certain types of artists, such as sculptors, costumers, hairdressers, set designers, colorists.

Somewhere on the Internet floats a list of the art schools Disney tends to hire from.  I know two of them are the Ringling School of Art in Florida near Tampa and CalArts right there in California, where you are.

If you Google these schools, you can check their admissions requirements and curriculum.

It might be that Disney Feature Animation has an internship program for college students.  You might want to check online to see if that's so or not.

You might be interested in joining the National Fantasy Fan Club, The Club for Disneyana Enthusiasts.  They are an international non-profit club of Disney collectors.  They have an annual convention each July in Anaheim, and a smaller mini-con each January.  If their July convention isn't booked up and full, you might enjoy attending this year, or make plans to go next year.  They have speakers from Disney, such as from Feature Animation and Imagineering, Consumer Products and other departments.  You can hear directly from them how their careers go, and perhaps in a question and answer period ask how they got their start, what to major in college, what personal and professional backgrounds Disney is looking for when they hire, etc.  On the Show and Sale Floor you'll want to find books about Disney, Disney Imagineering and the art of Disney.  Soak these up, they offer insights not only into how Disney created what it has over teh decades, but a glimpse into Disney culture as it was under Walt Disney.  Changes internally at Disney mean that Disney will likely be moving back to traditional "Walt Disney" culture but with modern twists.  So you'll want to be "up" on what that means so that you can fit in there.

Another convention you might be interested in attending when you hit college is SIGGRAPH.  This is a convention of those in any aspect of professional computer graphics, and this can include those in designing fanciful buildings and those in computer animation in movies, TV and commercials.  They have a college aspect to it, and they do professional recruiting and job hunting there.  It's expensive to attend.  However, you might learn a lot there especially if the college you choose in the future has a chapter of SIGGRAPH there.  Joe Rohde, the Imagineer who most recently designed Expedition Everest, will be the keynote speaker at this year's SIGGRAPH convention in Boston in late July.

As Pixar merges with Dinsey Disney CEO Robert Iger has asked Pixar's Ed Catmull, their president, to come over and help reform and revitalize Disney Feature Animation.  There is an article in the Disney News Forum here on Disney Echo from the Los Angeles Times which lays out Catmull's background and hints at the changes he might do over at Disney.  Although Pixar mainly does Computer Graphic Imaging (CGI) Catmull is not adverse to "traditional" animation, including hand drawn with ink and paint.  Likely, to work at Disney you may be asked to be very good at traditional drawing as well as working with computers, which means you'll need familiarity with coding, software, techniques and so on.

Just as a lot of people with engineering and design backgrounds may aspire to work for Disney Imagineering, others with art backgrounds aspire to work for Disney Feature Animation or one of the other agencies within Disney.  So the competition is tough, not that many people leave, and changes are coming now that Pixar and Disney are merging that mean Disney will become more desirable a place to work.  This means Disney can be very very selective in their hiring processes.  People do get hired, however they may have competitive edges regarding education and background and the ability to interpret stories and characters and emotions into art vs. people who like to draw and have a knack for it.

So as I mentioned to you in an earlier thread about Imagineering, education and grades will be important, the passion you bring to a career choice, the college you select, how you do there, and how you take advantages of opportunities to grow and develop in the field will mean the difference between getting a degree and a job or getting a degree and a dream job of a life time.

You have to look into it on your own, I've given you a lot of clues and avenues to travel down using Google or Yahoo!

You can be an artist and still work for Disney Imagineering, yes, but art talents can be utilized in many aspects of Disney, their parks, their marketing and promotion, their merchandising, their movies, their TV shows, their direct to video home videos and more.

Check out the leads, above.  Good luck, and I hope this helps.
Profile PM
Magus Offline
Tyler

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: June 16, 2006, 8:43 pm Quote

Well yes that did help some thank you.
I will have me and my parents look into that College in California. As for the conventions well I might be able to go to that one by Disneyland if I can get in, but when exactly is it this year?
Cause I'm leaving for Vegas on the 1st and coming back on the 6th if it is during that I can't go.

I have noticed there are a ton of different art anything in Disneyland. For example there is that guy who makes miniature models of buildings in Disneyland and even parts of rides. There are artists who paint Unique one of a kind paintings that cost well over 2000 $ unframed for the Disney Gallery that is more what I meant.
But if they are still going to do traditional animation I can look into that, I mean I guess I could learn CG but if I don't have to and it doesn’t seem like a great job than why bother.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 16, 2006, 9:20 pm Quote

Quote (Magus @ June 16, 2006 19:43 am/pm)
Well yes that did help some thank you.
I will have me and my parents look into that College in California. As for the conventions well I might be able to go to that one by Disneyland if I can get in, but when exactly is it this year?
Cause I'm leaving for Vegas on the 1st and coming back on the 6th if it is during that I can't go.

I have noticed there are a ton of different art anything in Disneyland. For example there is that guy who makes miniature models of buildings in Disneyland and even parts of rides. There are artists who paint Unique one of a kind paintings that cost well over 2000 $ unframed for the Disney Gallery that is more what I meant.
But if they are still going to do traditional animation I can look into that, I mean I guess I could learn CG but if I don't have to and it doesn’t seem like a great job than why bother.

Convention dates and info are at

http://www.nffc.org

Generally their convention coincides with the anniversary of Disneyland, July 17, every year.  So check it out, perhaps as a day guest if you don't need a hotel room.  I hope their registration for this year isn't already closed.  Their January mini-con is usually the first or second week of January.  If the July 2006 meeting is booked, then consider going next July.  But never say never, simply check at NFFC, the fact they are having a convention will be obvious over there since it's in about a month from now.

Sometimes Disney contracts with some artists to create figurines for the high-end Disney art collector.  Armani is one such, there are several, such as Lladro, Hummel figurines, Department 56 and others.  Even glass artist Dale Chihuly has done work for Disney's two cruise ships, the chandeliers in their atriums on board the ships.

Your goal as an artist is not only to create but make a living at it, maybe support a family by doing that as a vocation.  Computers are a way of life, and so is making animated movies in that medium.  Think of computers as an art medium as much as pen and ink, oils, water colors, acrylics, etc.  You'll want to learn all of it.  That's the way of the art world, and sometimes you never know what special level of expertise will be what gets you hired.  

So look into Cal Arts or Ringling, I think there's one in Rhode Island, and some others.  In Walt Disney's time his animators came from schools like Stanford University.  Google the idea of which art schools Disney tends to hire from, then aspire to get into those schools.  You'll want to have the grades and the courses, the portfolio if one is required, and whatever else those schools admission requirements want from prospective students exiting high school.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 16, 2006, 9:31 pm Quote

CalArts (their Film and Video discipline) :

http://www.calarts.edu/

Ringling School of Art and Design:

http://www.rsad.edu/

Rhode Island School of Design:

http://www.risd.edu/

The National Fantasy Fan Club for Disneyana Enthusiasts has local chapters, a lot of them in Southern California.  These collectors know their Disney, and likely are so well versed they know what it takes to get into Imagineering or Feature Animation or any of Disney's divisions that require a bachelor of fine arts degree, or even a masters of fine arts.  Consider going to one of their local chapter meetings, and asking around about these things.  It's called in the business world "networking" and making contacts like these local to you will help you find out what is needed to enter fields and attend colleges where your dreams can be furthered and then realized.  Chapter information will be obvious in a link on their home page:

http://www.nffc.org
Profile PM
Magus Offline
Tyler

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: June 17, 2006, 12:12 pm Quote

Well my mom said I could go to this Convention and become a member I emailed who was in charge of it and she said registration is not too late at all. But I can only go on one day that is my problem which day to go do you have any suggestions anyone?
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 17, 2006, 1:31 pm Quote

Read the convention itinerary and pick a day.  If you want to hear what Imaginnering or Animation is like, choose the day of "Lunch with a Disney Legend", or choose the show and sale day so you can load up on books about the animators and imagineers.

Saturday July 15
We'll have more seminars in the morning, followed by the NFFC Luncheon with a Disney Legend. This year's recipients include animator and Imagineer Walt Peregoy. He started at the Studio in 1943, in animation. He worked on Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mary Poppins, among other features, as an animator. He was the lead background painter on Sleeping Beauty, and he was the background stylist (responsible for the overall look of the film's backgrounds) on 101 Dalmatians and The Sword in the Stone. For Imagineering, he was a significant contributor to Epcot. Among other things, he created and styled the entrance, atrium and ambience of The Land Pavilion and worked on the original Journey Into Imagination attraction. In addition, he is one of the four artists profiled on the 1964 Wonderful World of Disney episode Four Artists Paint One Tree. We'll be announcing other honorees soon.

Sunday July 16
Today is the Strictly Disneyana Show and Sale. Members with tickets can get a jump on buying with an early entrance at 9:00 a.m. The general public will be admitted starting at 11:00 a.m.

See if you can get a more detailed convention itinerary which lists what the seminars will be about on those particular days.

Remember, you are going with a mind to learning about the careers at Disney of Imagineering and Animation or art.  You want to attempt to meet these people when their talks end and ask them career path advice as well as likely colleges to apply to that Diseny might hire from, or what generally Disney looks for in applicants.

So the day's intineraries or the seminars should be selected with that in mind.

Good luck, and enjoy!  A total immersion Disney environment such as this Convention will steer you in the right direction if you truly want a career with Disney.  It will educate you as to what went into building the Company into what it is today, essentail background information so someday as a prospective employee you can fit into their corporate culture.

Have fun!
Profile PM
Magus Offline
Tyler

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: June 29, 2006, 9:51 pm Quote

Well my Mom signed our family up for membership finally and we are going one of the days which one's would you recommend cause we can't decide?
Profile PM
7 replies since June 16, 2006, 4:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Imagineering Artist
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement