Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (4) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jiminy Offline
Lisa

Disneyland Resort message forum modEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 06, 2007, 3:01 pm Quote

I just saw this article online and post it here as "informational", but with no personal editorial remarks! :)

DISNEY OPENS WEDDINGS TO GAY COUPLES  

Apr 6 02:17 PM US/Eastern
By GARY GENTILE
Associated Press Writer        

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Same-sex couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance.
The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well.

"We believe this change is consistent with Disney's long-standing policy of welcoming every guest in an inclusive environment," Disney Parks and Resorts spokesman Donn Walker said Friday. "We want everyone who comes to celebrate a special occasion at Disney to feel welcome and respected."

The company said it made the change after being contacted by a gay couple who wanted to use the wedding service, which offers ceremonies at Disneyland in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney's cruise ships.

The service offers flowers, dining, music and many optional Disney touches, from ceremonies in front of the parks' iconic attractions to having Mickey and Minnie Mouse in formal wear as guests. The packages start at $8,000 and can cost more than $45,000.  

Groups not affiliated with Disney have held annual "gay days" celebrations at Disney parks for years. Company officials have taken a tolerant attitude to the weekend, allowing party promoters to rent out parks after hours and rebuffing religious groups that condemned Disney.

In 2005, Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

--------------
Lisa / Jiminy
Retired Disneyland Resort message forum modEARator

:WaltDisney3: :TikiFire: :fireworks:  :Dland50Tink:  :fireworks: :TikiFire: :WaltDisney3:            

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome.  Disneyland is your land.  Here age relives fond memories of the past -- and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.  Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America -- with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."
 -Walt Disney, July 17, 1955, Disneyland's Opening Day Dedication
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
Donald1969 Offline
Donald B.

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: April 06, 2007, 3:32 pm Quote

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."
-Walt Disney

What a shame!!!!!  Walt is rolling in his grave.  When Disneyland first opened he didn't even allow men with long hair (hippies) in the park.  I wonder what he is thinking of this tradgedy???  

Do I really want my small children to be exposed to this???  No way!!!

By no means am I bashing homosexuals, I just don't want it shoved in front of my children at the "Happiest place on earth"

Maybe now it should be called "The Gayest Place on Earth".

What has happened to America??????  :dead:

Pelosi? Fake Global Warming?  Undermining of our hero soldiers? Now Disneyland???  America has gone down the tubes!!!!  :hurt:

--------------
 "If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head."-- Winston Churchill
Profile PM
MKBaughan Offline
Marsha

All-Star, Pop Century, Happy Birthday & Games/Role-Play mod.

Group: ModEARator
Posted: April 06, 2007, 4:30 pm Quote

Lisa, I read this in my news this morning...  Donald, While I can't say I disagree with what you posted, I will say this much... Walt's opinion doesn't matter very much at Disney any more... and I think all of us here know that...I don't think Disney is going to shove it down our throats... I think they have finally decided with this decision to accept this as a way of life.  By doing that, I am sure that a lot of the Christians that had started going back to WDW and to Disney movies will be rethinking before doing it again.   I don't think this means that WDW or any Disney park will be overtaken by gays.  
    Actually, they didn't have hippies back in the '50s.  But, they did have very strict hair and dress codes they went by... on opening day, women wore high heeled pumps... which promptly sank in the newly lain asphalt.  While I honestly don't agree with Disney's decision to do this, I am going to wait and see what happens before I jump into the fray and decide I won't ever visit the one place on earth I feel most comfortable because of it.

--------------
ModEARator of the Disney Echo's "Happy Birthday" forum, Games & Role Playing Forum,  Virtual Disney Forum, all the forums in the Magical Gatherings & Net-Meets category, and the Value Resorts Forum
  :Piglet:  :Pluto:

Grayson sleeping in Tim's Duffle bag.  He wanted to go to WDW with us.

Miracle, the Wonder Cat!  She was in the position most of the time she was around me!  She is scary!

Trips: WDW- '74, '96,'98 (also DL),'99,'00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '07/ DL '05
Profile PM AOL MSN YIM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Posted: April 06, 2007, 9:52 pm Quote

It has been a long time since I posted anything on the Echo (too long) but there are times when someone has to jump back when current events force opinions - and this is one of those times.
I cannot believe that just when they appeared to be entering a more mainstream values line of thinking that Disney would start what will certainly be another round of conflicts within the American public. While they could deny "gay days" as an unsanctioned event, and have the extension of employment benifits be an "across the board" set of rules covering all aspects of the company (Capital Cities etc.), there is no getting around this issue. On a secular side, Florida does not even recognize gay marrage as legally binding. On a moral side it is a slap in the face to anyone opposing the gay lifestyle. I am more than certain this might make Rosie happy, but it has resulted in a basic statement of "we openly support this segment of society regardless of what another segment of America thinks".
This is a low moment in the history of our beloved company I am afraid.

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
MKBaughan Offline
Marsha

All-Star, Pop Century, Happy Birthday & Games/Role-Play mod.

Posted: April 06, 2007, 10:54 pm Quote

It has been a long time since I posted anything on the Echo (too long) but there are times when someone has to jump back when current events force opinions - and this is one of those times.
I cannot believe that just when they appeared to be entering a more mainstream values line of thinking that Disney would start what will certainly be another round of conflicts within the American public. While they could deny "gay days" as an unsanctioned event, and have the extension of employment benifits be an "across the board" set of rules covering all aspects of the company (Capital Cities etc.), there is no getting around this issue. On a secular side, Florida does not even recognize gay marrage as legally binding. On a moral side it is a slap in the face to anyone opposing the gay lifestyle. I am more than certain this might make Rosie happy, but it has resulted in a basic statement of "we openly support this segment of society regardless of what another segment of America thinks".
This is a low moment in the history of our beloved company I am afraid.

Eric, glad to see you post, buddy.... totally agree with you... (and I hate that it will make the Queen of Not Nice happy....  )

--------------
ModEARator of the Disney Echo's "Happy Birthday" forum, Games & Role Playing Forum,  Virtual Disney Forum, all the forums in the Magical Gatherings & Net-Meets category, and the Value Resorts Forum
  :Piglet:  :Pluto:

Grayson sleeping in Tim's Duffle bag.  He wanted to go to WDW with us.

Miracle, the Wonder Cat!  She was in the position most of the time she was around me!  She is scary!

Trips: WDW- '74, '96,'98 (also DL),'99,'00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '07/ DL '05
Profile PM AOL MSN YIM
Minnie1 Offline
Kathy

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: April 07, 2007, 6:52 am Quote

I'm sad at this turn of events too...it won't stop me from visiting but I sure hope I don't run into Rosie and her "significant other" renewing their "vows"!  The downturn of society's morals is so depressing...

--------------
Kathy / Minnie1

Remembering my trip to Disneyland and Christmastime at the WL
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 07, 2007, 8:04 am Quote

If there is a bright side to this, I believe that when they're talking about allowing gay weddings "in front of Cinderella's Castle" as the AP writer put it, what is actually allowed is how all other weddings have been done in the Magic Kingdom near the castle: in the fenced, grassy area east of the Hub near the walkway to Tomorrowland, in view of the castle (not directly in front of it, actually off to the side).

So it isn't as "in your face" as the writer wants to convey, I believe. However, it sure makes you wonder what a family winning the free night in Cindy's castle would think, waking up one morning seeing a ceremony like this taking place out on "their" "front lawn"...
;)

For that matter, the "newly-wed" couple might win a night in the castle themselves... Now, what would Walt think about that!
:uhoh:

To vote on the topic about gay weddings taking place at DL, WDW and DCL, click here.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 08, 2007, 1:02 am Quote

Was it the threat of lawsuits that made The Walt Disney Company change its policy on in-park weddings?

Disney relents over 'fairytale' gay weddings

By Andrew Buncombe in Washington, the Belfast Independent

April 7, 2007

In the world of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, a sense of fairness and equilibrium has been restored. Having sparked widespread controversy by insisting that same-sex couples were not eligible to have "fairytale weddings" at their US resorts, the Walt Disney Company has had a change of heart; gays, too, can now participate in the saccharine-sweet, faux adventure that is a Disney-arranged marriage.

What was it that caused the shift in policy? Was there an outcry from Cinderella, did Tinkerbell cause a fuss, did the fairy queens of Disney protest?

That is unclear. Disney says the change in policy was prompted simply by a "an inquiry from a guest that asked about the service". A Disney spokesman, Jacob DiPietre, told The Independent: "It's a slight change. Now, wedding ceremonies, celebrations, commitment ceremonies and vow renewals are offered at the Walt Disney pavilions. Previously, commitment ceremonies were offered at other venues and the change is that they are now offered at the pavilions [where the fairytale wedding package takes place]. That is the change."

Mr DiPietre denied the change in policy was brought about by the criticism from the gay community and elsewhere after it emerged that Disney had ruled that while gay couples could organise their own weddings or commitment ceremonies at rented rooms at their resorts in California and Florida, they were not eligible to purchase their fairytale wedding packages. The packages consist of various options to ensure "your wedding day is everything you have always dreamt it would be. This is the magic of Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings".

The company had originally claimed that it could not offer the service if a couple did not provide them with a legal wedding certificate from the state in which the resorts are located. The claim last month sparked a reaction from campaigners who pointed out that the service Disney was offering was a wedding ceremony rather than a wedding licence. They also pointed out that in California, Disney may have been in breach of state legislation that prohibits businesses from discriminating on the basis of marital status or sexual orientation.

Mr DePietre said yesterday: "We believe the new policy is consistent with our long-standing tradition of welcoming all guests in an inclusive environment. We want everyone who celebrates their special occasions with us to feel welcome and respected." Disney's fairytale wedding packages start at $8,000 (£4,000) and include a wedding planner, the ceremony, food and drinks, flowers and table decorations. The so-called "lavish wedding" option also includes a ride to the ceremony in the Cinderella coach and costumed trumpeters that mark the arrival of the couple - at night, if wanted. The cartoon characters Mickey and Minnie Mouse also attend the ceremony, dressed in formal attire. For years Disney has come under fire from right-wing religious conservatives, among them the powerful Southern Baptist Convention, which accused the company of promoting a gay agenda. For eight years the group had enforced a boycott of Disney, criticising it for corporate policies such as providing health benefits to same-sex partners of employees, allowing "Gay Day" celebrations at its theme parks and airing a prime-time television show on its ABC network featuring the lesbian comedian Ellen DeGeneres. The boycott was dropped only in 2005.

Disney's decision to open its fairytale wedding package to same-sex couples was yesterday welcomed by members of the gay community. Writing on the gay website AfterElton.Com, Michael Jensen said: "I congratulate Disney on stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. In fact, I think everyone should get in touch with Disney to thank them for making this change, as I have no doubt at all that the homophobes will be out in droves screaming that Disney's treatment of gay and lesbian couples somehow discriminates against their religious beliefs."

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
CarolG Offline
Carol Gatto

"Happy Birthday" forum co-modEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 08, 2007, 12:43 pm Quote

Eric,

I totally agree with you . . . Glad to see you post!

--------------
Carol Gatto, "Happy Birthday" forum co-modEARator emEARitus

TRIPS:  WDW Nov '06, DCL Nov '06, DCL Dec '09
Hosting Disney Cruise Party Nov 14 2009
Profile PM
mamaloya Offline
Sandra Loya

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: April 08, 2007, 2:08 pm Quote

Eric, I agree with you as well, and it has been too long buddy.

So, if I, for some reason, find myself no longer married and want a commitment ceremony with my current boyfriend, I can, for the right price, get "committed" there?  I think the policy of needing a valid marriage license was fair and nondiscriminatory.  

I think that gays and lesbians should be treated equally, but this is not equal, this is making an exception for them.  If a nongay couple had called, they would have been told that they needed a valid license.  This change is solely for them.  That is not equal, that is giving special treatment and I am against that.

--------------
Sandra / mamaloya
6 disney kids, dd21, ds18, dd13, ds9, dd8, and dd6
1 Disney granddaughter 6/19/2008

'77 First trip to WDW
'82, '85, '88, '89, '97, '98, 2000 off site
2004 Ft. Wilderness in a tent
2006 Ft. Wilderness in new popup
2006 First trip for MVMCP at Ft. Wilderness
2008 Ft. Wilderness in new TT

2010 Ft. Wilderness in a tent again
Profile PM WEB AOL YIM
36 replies since April 06, 2007, 3:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement