Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (9) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: iPhone Disney Echo Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dale-not-Chip Offline
Dale

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: June 26, 2007, 11:14 pm Quote

I'd wait to see how it works first.

1.  The new at&t wireless broadband is the slowest of all the cell phone companies.  The speed of the Internet will directly effect the functionality of the iphone.

2.  The battery is internal and can not be changed out.  before you dedicate yourself to that price and 2 year contract with at&T you might want to wait to see exactly how long that battery really lasts.  What's the point of having a phone that while listening to some tunes and watching your important u-tube videos and the battery dies when you get a call.

3. on the commercial his fingers were clearly larger than the buttons he's using.  how accurate is it going to be.  

4.  You can not change the Sim card so you are really committing yourself to more than just two years.  The iphone is married to At&T for the life of the phone.

5.  Remember the first ipods were buggy as can be.  this is the first run.  let the people that live and die all things apple work out the bugs and buy one later.  They have already announced that the scond batch of phones will be made by another china factory.  

Apple has had several failures throughout it's history.

Be careful.  the commercial was a phone playing a video and the man was just choreographed to the video.

--------------
Dale-not-Chip
[img]http://badge.facebook.com/badge....mg]

Email me

dalenotchip (at) bellsouth.net
Profile PM AOL MSN
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:01 am Quote

Quote (RichKoster @ June 26, 2007, 3:44 pm)
Beth, they have a large video screen on display and some posters, but you'll have to wait until 6 pm local time this Friday to touch it. Nothing "real" on display yet. FedEx delivers the first iPhones to stores nationwide this Friday between 4 pm and 5 pm local time (in each time zone).

You should see all the many articles about this product via Google News Advanced Search, Marketwatch.com, etc.  It has a mystique all it's own, just the product launch of this!

Get this:  The nearest AT & T store to us is in a strip shopping center the shape of an L.  The long part of the L is a closed bank branch and drive up, and a store front the bank used as a companion brokerage firm.  Next in the middle is a Winn-Dixie regional supermarket chain, at the angle of the L is a Blockbuster Video.  And "behind" Blockbuster is the AT & T store.

So Winn-Dixie as a regional supermarket chain is emerging out of bankruptcy and is trying to pump new life and new interest in it's stores.  

So this local one got remodeled and updated, and now it's time for Grand Opening.  Same week as the iPhone roll out.  And the major festivities of this promotion are on Friday, same day as iPhone roll-out in the same shopping center.

Free prepared food sampling, starting at 11:30 am and you earn a free Winn-Dixie $5 gift card if you go to all the food stations and get samples.  So already free food, and the promise later of $5 free groceries, while supplies of all of it lasts!  ($5 with the way groceries are going up and up and up won't go far, that's true, but free is free.... )

But it gets better, if you like adult beverages:  There will be a free beer and wine-tasting 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm, along with food sampling, along with live jazz music!  (New Orleans metro area suburb.)

The culture of the iPhone roll out is that the local AT & T stores will close at 4:30 pm to reopen at 6 pm local time, at which time the iPhones start being sold (at 6 pm) .

Well!

Rich went in and quizzed this store.  

They will have armed security guards at the opening, and will prevent anyone from lining up before 4 pm.  Means you can "camp out" but maybe in your car in the parking lot, with is OK 'cause it's 90-degree heat with humidity and you can burn nearly $3/gallon gas (now about $2.83-$2.85/gallon around us) cranking the air conditioner up in some shade....

And while you wait you can get some nice free snacks and nice adult beverages at Winn-Dixie, a little live jazz music going on, nice party celebratory atmosphere going on....

Party on, Garth!

Two addresses away and "behind" the Blockbuster is a Popeye's Fried Chicken (buy chicken from there, have access to their restrooms ! )  Across a busy road, not really pedestrian-friendly to do this, is a daquiri bar, a well-known and loved Mexican restaurant (very good) an even better known Oriental restaurant (has been on "Great Chefs of New Orleans" show formerly on PBS), then along the road of where this strip shopping center is is a competing strip shopping center with Rouse's Supermarket (hot foods and excellent deli, specializing in Louisiana foods) and some food places in this shopping center including a Chinese take-out place with at least one dish from Singapore (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End).  And a Starbucks.

So it's a comfy wait for the iPhone, more or less, if you don't want to do too much pedestrian walking on busy roads, at least you won't go hungry.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 27, 2007, 9:15 am Quote

Video clip of the first person in line at New York City's 5th Avenue Apple Store, here.  Click on "video interview" hot link, then click on the arrow on the screen to play the video.  Takes under a minute.   LOL
Profile PM
Dale-not-Chip Offline
Dale

Posted: June 27, 2007, 1:05 pm Quote

Finally Confirmed: What the iPhone Doesn't Have
• Songs as Ringtones
• Games
• Any flash support
• Instant Messaging
• Picture messages (MMS)
• Video recording
• Voice recognition or voice dialing
• Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
• One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

Stuff we already knew it didn't have
• 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)
• GPS
• A real keyboard
• Removable battery
• Expandable Storage
• Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)

TUE JUN 26 2007
BY JASON CHEN

--------------
Dale-not-Chip

Email me

Profile PM AOL MSN
Liv2CdWorld Offline
Beth

ModEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: June 27, 2007, 7:44 pm Quote

Hmm.  Most likely I'll wait, but my phone doesn't have any of that now (except the removable battery).  You're going to laugh, but I'm really attached to my phone.  It's been very good to me.  I've dropped it umpteen times and it still works like a charm.  I've had it for SEVERAL years.

Now, that said, I'll most likely be waiting until the next generation of iPhone before I bite...but the geek in me is just....well....being geeky and screaming "New Toy!  New Toy!!" LOL
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 28, 2007, 8:27 am Quote

David Pogue of the NY Times likes the iPhone, but has some quibbles (including the quality of photography of the camera).  Wall Street Journal tech columnist loves it.  USA Today tech journalist likes it, but with reservations.  Asked on CNBC the other night if he'd buy one Friday if he hadn't been "given" one by Apple/AT & T to review, he said "Yes, but with reservations."  All these reviews are Google News Advanced Search-able under "iPhone".  Over at Apple's official iPhone website they have video tutorials posted on how to use it.  The prices plan announced by AT & are posted on their respective iPhone part of their website.

Good consumerism is to "know before you go, know before you buy".  There are now reviews of tech colmnists in mainstream news media who've used the new thing extensively, not just for a few minutes, but days, weeks, in advance of the launch.  They post exactly what they think in their articles, some of which are online, or if you can't access then public libraries which carry back issues might have them, published only within the last day or two, so easy to find.

Cool new thing, it's not for everyone, however, and competitors' similar products are coming this year, iPhone will always be upgraded ongoing.  Anyone who's with tech any length of time knows the main constant with that is "change".

So Google News Advanced Search is the best friend of anyone contemplating buying an Apple/AT & T iPhone.  Use that service to the max, and look up reviews, they are now being published...  But also have some reserved judgement that ongoing all consumer electronics receive upgrades, drop in price, etc.  Note the critiques, but also note the positive comments.

Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, your future is here now!  iPhone is smaller than the tri-corders the folks on the Enterprise used to use!
Profile PM
Dale-not-Chip Offline
Dale

Posted: June 28, 2007, 3:49 pm Quote

Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, your future is here now!  iPhone is smaller than the tri-corders the folks on the Enterprise used to use!

To bad there's nobody on the other end to beam me up.

--------------
Dale-not-Chip

Email me

Profile PM AOL MSN
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:12 pm Quote

What do you do waiting for iPhone?

iMow.

iCut an outline of iPhone into the tall grass in my backyard then came back inside and said "Look what iDid!" Outside it was in the 90s. iSaid, "iHot! iSweat!" and taking a sniff of my armpits iMoaned, "iStink!"

Next, before iWent to finish the grass iGot an iCedtea with iCecubes the way iLike. Then, before cutting the grass again, this time iGot my hat first, pulling it down low on my forehead, explaining, "iShade."

Did iEdge the lawn? iRan out of time because, as the New York Times' David Pogue said, "EDGE is excruciatingly slow."

If you've read all the way to the end of this, iThank you.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:55 pm Quote

I bet some people think it wasn't iCedtea I was drinking, but that I drank the Kool Aid.
;) LOL

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: June 28, 2007, 8:38 pm Quote

Quote (Dale-not-Chip @ June 27, 2007, 12:05 pm)
Finally Confirmed: What the iPhone Doesn't Have . . .

Ah, but that's the beauty iPhone really being a handheld computer (and not a closed-box "smart" phone like the others) which will get free operating system and program updates/added capabilities for two years!

So, keep watching as one by one many (if not all) of those listed items are addressed.

Already, Steve Jobs has said that, contrary to news reports, iPhone will indeed have support for business users wishing to get company email.

Also in that same USA Today interview:

Jobs: The iPhone switches to any known Wi-Fi network when it senses one. What we've found is that Edge is terrific for e-mail and basic Internet usage. When people need more speed, there's Wi-Fi. The nice thing about Wi-Fi is it's way faster than 3G...

EDGE will be faster than people have read in the reviews. Some of the criticism of EDGE is more theoretical. Blackberrys use EDGE, and in many cases is slower, because our software is better.

You can not change the Sim card so you are really committing yourself to more than just two years

The Sim card can indeed be removed and swapped with a different one. The iPhone's styling doesn't make this obvious at first glance.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
87 replies since June 10, 2007, 12:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: iPhone Disney Echo Edition
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement