Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (42) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: HURRICANE CENTRAL: Storms and your Disney trip, Will Hurricanes/Storms Affect Your Trip?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: July 09, 2005, 9:45 pm Quote

There's been a steady stream of traffic with people leaving the islands and extreme coastal regions around here. Lots of cars with the boats on trailers behind them. I think after the wreck that Ivan caused, and the memories of how Charley did a last minute turn, everyone is not taking any chances. Being further inland and east of the projected region of landfall we haven't evacuated, but of course have plans just in case. There's lots of heavy rainbands with a substantial amount of wind, but we have no power loss or surges yet.

Reading and listening to the most recent reports, I fear that whoever is the most directly affected by the passing of the center of the storm is going to get a substantial amount of damage, possibly worse than what Ivan inflicted.

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: July 09, 2005, 10:31 pm Quote

Nice sunny day most of the day.  Middle of the afternoon a brief thundershower.  Some summer breezes blowing.  At 4:30 pm CDT a very heavy thundershower, possibly a feeder band from Dennis.  During 5 pm Mass it didn't rain any more.  I phoned my aunt in Mobile, Alabama and she reports things are shut down there.  The contraflow north on I-65 has stopped, and southbound lanes now are resuming being southbound.  Wal-Marts in the area have been closed since Midnight to 6 am Saturday morning.  There's no place to go to even get breakfast.  My aunt and uncle recently sold their home next to a river to a lady from Oregon who wanted a vacation home, but the closing isn't 'til August 10!  So there's a waterfront home and property in that "between time" between acceptance of offer and closing that now has to endure Dennis, and possibly my aunt and uncle having to pay for any storm repairs in short order before the closing!  Another aunt went through the car line from Mobile to Memphis last year for Ivan, said "never again" to how badly and slowly that went, and is electing to ride out in her own home in Grand Bay, AL just outside Mobile.

Dennis is not good news.  I'm not going to fall to the cliche' of calling this storm "Dennis the Menace", but I do wonder how they come up with these names at the National Hurricane Center.

Everyone can follow the news on Weather Channel or Fox News, MSNBC or CNN.  You can Google Mobile Register, Pensacola News-Journal, WALA-TV Fox 10, WKRG-TV 5 CBS, WPMI-TV 15 NBC, and WEAR-TV 3 ABC to see what their websites report about Dennis.

We pray at least that Dennis weakens and doesn't move farther west, that it goes easterly to less populated areas where there will be less loss and less danger to people.  We also pray that everyone in the path of Dennis will survive and have minimal loss of property.

If you are travelling, I-10 and I-65 are going to be a mess.  Dennis crosses I-10, which goes east-west along the Alabama and Florida coastal areas (not on the water, though )  and I-65 is a major north-south route.  Dennis will cross I-65 but that is the Interstate Dennis is going to affect most.

Watch for the "5-day cone" on the National Hurricane Center's website, scroll earlier in this thread for the URL.  Those of you inland, you will feel Dennis as far north as Indiana and Missouri in a couple of days, so prepare now!

Check state highway patrol and police websites in states that, according to the 5-day cone, will experience severe weather due to Dennis.  If you are vacation travelling by car or RV be heads up because travel will be treacherous and as we saw last year with Ivan even parts of I-10 and a major bridge on I-10 in Pensacola washed out.  There could be traffic detours around the storm areas that will increase your travel miles and time on the road.  Leave early and find out ahead of time such as at state welcome centers or online how the roads through these areas will be.

Anyone see Geraldo Rivera yet on Fox News doing his Gumby bending thing in the storm?
Profile PM
BambiTamby Offline
The Original Lizard Lounge Queen !

Polynesian, AnimalKingdom Lodge & Concierge/Suites/LizLounge

Posted: July 09, 2005, 11:53 pm Quote

Reading and listening to the most recent reports, I fear that whoever is the most directly affected by the passing of the center of the storm is going to get a substantial amount of damage, possibly worse than what Ivan inflicted.

I'm feeling the same way, Eric! :o

Anyone see Geraldo Rivera yet on Fox News doing his Gumby bending thing in the storm?

hehehe! *she said Gumby bending thing!* :rofl2:

Carol....ya'll decided not to go to Houston?

--------------
"Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph: a beginning, a struggle and a victory."

Presenting.....The Lizard Lounge MickEmoticons!
:loungelizard: :loungelizard2: :jammielizard: :LizardPrego: :LizardBaby: :LizardCrazy: :LizardFlag: :LizardRedheadedStepchild: :LizardHula: :TikiFire: :LizardSpending: :LizardFreeBird: :LizardPirate: :LizardThumbsup: :LizardDrool:
:pie_lizard: :LizardHockey: :LizardWaterGun:
Profile PM WEB
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Posted: July 10, 2005, 8:40 am Quote

This is a quick post - the last for awhile. They have evacuated neighboring counties from Panama City Beach, to Franklin County next door. US 319/98 are both on contraflow. While we are 3 miles inland, we are getting ready. Guess Dennis decided to play a bad trick on us. Our concern here is not so much wind and rain, but the heavy branches on the trees around us. We are living on former forestry land adjacent to the Appalachicola National Forest, and there are many 100 ft. pines around us - an 80 footer next to my house, and you don't want a limb from one of them crashing into a pre-fab while you are in it.

Say prayers, I'll be back in a couple of days.
Eric

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: July 10, 2005, 10:40 am Quote

Eric, many prayers, pixie dust and good wishes are being sent your way as well as others like you all along the Florida panhandle.
:praying: :pixiedust:

We are so thankful to have another major storm miss the New Orleans area. :bowdown:

We have just cancelled the Hampton Inn reservation we had for Michael and Carol for two nights starting today, near NASA's Johnson Space Center south of Houston. As we say our prayers of thanks to God this morning we also offer up prayers to the people of the Pensacola, Florida area and eastward, where it now appears that Hurricane Dennis will make landfall later today with the brunt of the high winds and damage coming to Pensacola, Pensacola Beach, Navarre Beach, Destin, and even Fort Walton Beach, Florida and points east of that on the Florida panhandle, because the worse part of a hurricane are the winds and tornadoes to the east of its center rather than the west.

We'll be praying for them today along with our prayers of thankfulness here in the New Orleans area -- but we'll be getting ready to help those residents to our east in the days to come as they will surely need all of our help and assistance.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: July 10, 2005, 10:43 am Quote

Quote (sadizney @ July 09, 2005 14:20 am/pm)
While I was in the Bahamas,  I was watching the hurricane pattern VERY closely since we were leaving yesterday afternoon to go home. I knew the hurricane was not directly over us but we were feeling the very strong winds from it. I really didn't want to take off yesterday but the plane ride was only a bit bumpy going up...easy for me to say now that I am home and on the ground.

Welcome home, Sandy! We're all glad you made it back safely. Here's hoping (and praying) all affected by Hurricane Dennis this weekend do well.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
sadizney Offline
Sandy

Posted: July 10, 2005, 11:29 am Quote

Quote (RichKoster @ July 10, 2005 10:43 am/pm)
Quote (sadizney @ July 09, 2005 14:20 am/pm)
While I was in the Bahamas,  I was watching the hurricane pattern VERY closely since we were leaving yesterday afternoon to go home. I knew the hurricane was not directly over us but we were feeling the very strong winds from it. I really didn't want to take off yesterday but the plane ride was only a bit bumpy going up...easy for me to say now that I am home and on the ground.

Welcome home, Sandy! We're all glad you made it back safely. Here's hoping (and praying) all affected by Hurricane Dennis this weekend do well.

I'm happy it is not heading in your direction Rich! I hope everyone else will be safe and sound!!  :pixiedust: :pixiedust:
:pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust:

--------------
:waver:  :magic:
WDW trips: Apr.'74, 'Aug. 78, Aug. '80, Aug.'84, June '86, Oct. '86, March '87, Oct. '90,  June '92,  Aug. '92, Jan. '93, Aug. '93, Nov. '94, Aug.'95, Aug.'96, June '97, Aug.'98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July 2005, June/July 2006, Feb. '07, July '07, June '08, August '09 . November '09, August '10. July '11. June/July 2012, October 2012
DL trips: April '88, Oct. '91, June '95, Aug. '95
DCL trip: April '08
Five Parks, Four Worlds, One Dream, One Man :tinkflying:
VMK Name: Sanderella :ArielSparkle: Left to right: Barb, me and Bob

Here's wishing I was 1228.25 miles closer to "home."

"PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 10, 2005, 12:36 pm Quote

You can not be in the line of fire of any hurricane yet you can get the "feeder bands" of it.  So in Orlando and WDW and across Central Florida they are in fact feeling side-effects of Dennis.  Likely it's raining off and on, cloudy, breezy there.  The EASTERN side of any hurricane is the rough side to be on.  So everywhere east of Dennis as it moves north, the Gulf of Mexico coastal parts and central parts of Florida, they are feeling Dennis even though Dennis is not bound straight for them.  Like a "drive by" effect.  The WESTERN side is LESS DANGEROUS, a lot less.

On the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain at 11 am Central on Sunday it's cloudy, a light light light breeze that barely moves leaves, no rain.

AccuWeather has a guy who's been on Fox News Channel who predicted boldly at 7 pm Central Saturday night the storm would veer off to the west and enter Lake Borne on the eastern Gulf side of Louisiana and affect New Orleans in a serious way.  That is NOT going to happen, no one else in local or national media or the National Hurricane Center says that is going to happen, it isn't bearing out this morning, and that was a highly irresponsible moment in broadcasting for that AccuWeather man.

If this thing goes eastward that is good news for my two aunts, ny uncle, several cousins and their families and my late parents' house in Mobile, Alabama.  All these are in the western half of Mobile County.  If it goes even more east it will go across less populated beach and land areas, but at this point I don't think it will be more easterly than it is right now.

Houston is a great city.  They have a superb museum district downtown, and the Johnson Space Center in the south part of the area is a NASA facility that trains the astronauts and has a fun visitor center that offers space camps and play places for kids and two gift shops and a big food court.  I'd rather visit in a serene frame of mind and not stressed out with hurricanes going on!  Yes, Rich cancelled our hotel reservations to go there... now.  With hurricane season this bad this early that doesn't mean we won't be in Houston before October, though.

Be on the lookout in your communities about non-profit groups and faith-based groups that might raise funds or ask for item donations to assist northwest Florida and Baldwin County, Alabama and Mobile, Alabama with disaster relief.  In talking with my aunt over there it's obvious and it's quite real that these people are shell-shocked and tired of constantly being in the brunt of harm's way when they haven't recovered from Ivan just ten months ago.  Hurricane Frederic hit September 12, 1979 and the memory of that with Mobilians is still fresh.  It took Mobile 5 years to fully recover from Frederic, and that includes FEMA buying land from flood-prone residents and bulldozing the houses (an anti-flooding liability measure ) , getting final settlement checks from FEMA to municipalities, cleaning up the drainage systems, and other longer term matters.  There were still debris and damage repairs going on up to a year later after Frederic.  So apply this to those people badly affected by Ivan 10 months ago, and it's like they can never keep up.  It's like that Greek figure who keeps pushing a boulder up a hill, only to lose balance, the man and the boulder end up rolling to the bottom of the hill, and he has to start all over again with the effort.  Bob Breck, the weather man at FOX 8 New Orleans, pointed out this morning the Florida Panhandle has had 4 hurricanes within the last 10 years!  So if you hear from bona-fide legit charities asking for hurricane relief donations of any kind, please find it in your heart to help them.  That is what the residents will appreciate most, just help getting cleaned up and the things they need to keep going.

Keep praying for this area.  Landfall is expected approximately 2 pm Central between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach, FL.

We have Echo EARS such as Mamaloya, Utilidor27 and many others literally affected in some way by these tropical weather systems this year.  It's not over yet.  So please lift them and other Disney Echo EARS up in your thoughts, prayers and Pixie Dust tossing to be safe and spared from injury and property damage throughout hurricane season.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 10, 2005, 5:11 pm Quote

In our area, north of New Orleans, after 1-1:30 pm CDT we got steady light rain and gusts strong enough to make you grip an umbrella tighter but light enough you could still walk and stay upright without a problem.  A typical Southern day when it rains to break the heat, you'd never know it was on the farthest edges of a dangerous hurricane a few states away.  Lake Pontchartain is one notch above glassy and serene.  You'd honestly would never know of the chaos reigning in the Florida area and Mobile AL area unless you watched all news channels.  Son and I went to Lake Pontchartrain, near our church and his parochial school, to take a look.  Wet and dreary, but no big deal.  To have "no big deal" is infinitely preferable to if Dennis had come to our area!

Eyewall came ashore approximately 2:25 pm Central, 3:25 pm Eastern, 12:25 pm Pacific Sunday July 10, between Pensacola and Navarre Beach, Florida.  

I'm so grateful it went east!  Reasons stated in an earlier posting.  I think my family living in the western part of Mobile County and my late parents' home will be OK.  I feel quite hopeful.  A lot of debris, maybe loss of electricity or phone service, maybe some repairs to be made.  But the people, OK.

The people around there are beat, though.  The voices of the people on the news describe it, this frustrated "not again" resignation.  In addition to the usual relief and storm supplies I hope some good counselors can go and talk to the people to lift them up in their minds and spirits.

I went to the Mobile Register newspaper website, their chat area, some postings are there in which the people sound resilient but are asking for prayers from others and telling where open shelters are if people need to leave.

Pray for all those working so hard now, the media covering this thing, the police and fire crews, medical people, utilities people to restore power and phone service and cell phone service, and everyone who needs the prayers especially the residents going through so much.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 10, 2005, 6:30 pm Quote

Relating the path of Dennis to WDW now:

Although the eye of Dennis as of 5:15 pm Central is north of Pensacola now, there are still feeder bands with rain and wind to the east of this storm.  I can see as the various cable news channels show weather radar that feeder bands are still affecting WDW, even though WDW is to the southeast and far away.  Means intermittent heavy rains at WDW combined with wind gusts, which come and go when the feeder bands come and go.  Yes, even that far away from Dennis.  These storms cover a wide geographic area, even into West Virginia the storm is affecting now.  As it moves inland Dennis will cause rain and flooding concerns for another 3-4 days into Indiana and Illinois.  For now, WDW is not a "picture perfect" place, but it is operational and open for business.

As I cruise on cable news channels about Hurricane Dennis I want to caution future WDW-goers who sought this thread out:  DO NOT STAND OUTSIDE DURING A STORM!!!!!  I just witnessed a replay of CNN video.  A hotel sign blew off in the height of the storm, the camera and reporter crew quickly hid behind a wall to protect themselves from this flying missile which really was the size of a missile.  Imagine this flying towards you at 100-140+ miles per hour!  Imagine roofing shingles flying off roofs...  with the nails still attached!  This isn't a scary, made up story, this stuff really happens in high winds.  This sign was the size you'd be able to spot from the interstate to know the location of the hotel, it was huge and made of aluminum and literally was like tissue in a breeze, only it was a huge sign in hurricane-force gusts.  Don't have these things hit you, your head, or your body, or anyone else you know.  The authorities, Disney itself, will tell you "Don't go outside..." and it's for a darn good reason:  Your own safety!  Let the news media do this standing in the wind stuff.  Unseen by you, they are very close to huge concrete buildings where they can get inside away from danger if they have to.  They do the illustrating for the purposes of showing their audience how rough it is, so the audience can get the idea and just stay put.  Imitating what you see on TV is foolhardy.

You will definitely hear from Disney, if you are sheltering at one of their resorts or from local authorities. an "all clear"-type of news message.  The winds have to die down to a certain point.  To drive safely on roads and bridges over wide open waters the winds need to be at a certain miles per hour level for public safety.  Some roads can be washed out but it's not apparent.  So wait for the "all clear".

Things towards the west of Dennis seem to be calming down.

And yes, Geraldo Rivera showed up on Fox News Channel, in Pensacola at what looks like a Red Roof Inn somewhere.  He's showing some archive video shot earlier at more of the height of the storm, doing some of the Gumby thing in the wind, and later just waddling around in rain boots in a flooded parking lot at the hotel.
Profile PM
417 replies since June 10, 2005, 11:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (42) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: HURRICANE CENTRAL: Storms and your Disney trip
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement