Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (42) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: HURRICANE CENTRAL: Storms and your Disney trip, Will Hurricanes/Storms Affect Your Trip?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: July 08, 2005, 4:56 pm Quote

Gasoline prices shot up today.  I was lucky to top off at $2.099/gallon, and as soon as I finished an attendant put a "pump not working" plastic bag on the unleaded pump I'd just used.  I went shopping for supplies at Wal-Mart nearby.  Just a short time later where I'd just filled up shot the price up from $2.099/gal to $2.199/gal regular unleaded.  Yep, a 10-cents per gallon increase.  ALL gas stations are doing it local to us, about a dime increase in the cost per gallon no matter where you go.  Triple situation:  Tropical Storm Cindy earlier in the week disrupted gas production, the terrorist bombings in London Thursday spooked the oil and gas markets, and Category 4 Hurricane Dennis is likely to cause evacuation of Gulf of Mexico oil rigs and disruptions of petro chemical industries.

Wal-Mart is a roller coaster ride all its own.  In addition to putting out back to school supplies already (schools return to session in just a month, August 11 and 12) they are putting out cases of bottled water and batteries.  Tuna is disappearing from the shelves.  Bottled water in individual bottles as well as gallong jugs is strating to go off the shelves.  Appetizing canned goods, such as chili and soup, are still in good supply but people are snatching them up.  People are stocking on the non-perishables.  Even with the precise landfall of Dennis being three days away and unknown as to where, people are packing it in at Wal-Mart like crazy.  And they can never shop in there alone, always has to be at least 1-5 other humans going along.  Lines at check out are LONG and SLOW.

No one is saying "mandatory evacuation", yet the officials are encouraging people to take a long weekend in Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and get out while the driving is easy and before the contraflow begins on the Interstates leading out, north and west.  So far Interstate traffic is moving freely.  But folks are still are "waiting and seeing" if they really do have to leave or not, wondering Dennis' path first before they take the final steps.

My purpose in putting this information is to give you perspective.  Don't comment on the nitty gritty, but look at the big picture.

Preparing is a process.  Wait too long, and the lines are long and slow and it sucks out your available time to get other things done.  Leave early, and the driving hassles associated with evacuations of mass populations are not too bad.  Costs go up stocking up on the supplies you wouldn't normally acquire, sure.  Even gasoline costs can be affected by market forces and not by gouging.

It does feel like you're dreaming to do this.  Life is supposed to be normal, on a Friday families should be shopping for just routine groceries and items.  You shop for batteries only if you need a few.  You shop for plywood only if you're building something.  If you're supposed to be on vacation, it's strange to shop for groceries to hunker down in your hotel room with because you can't eat at your vacation destination as you'd planned to.  It's not supposed to be crazy like this.  I want to relax, I want to wake up from this dream!  You'll think that too.  But if you're in Orlando or another hurricane prone area, you know you should take precautions like these.  But it feels odd to be doing it.  

And it's frustrating, you're right, life wasn't supposed to be like this.  It's frustrating to the locals, too.  If you are caught in Orlando as a tourist with this same thing going on, know you are not alone.  It's either stock up as well as possible or be hungry and thirsty until normal operations resume.  You can only suck it in, deal with it, and count this as a travel memory you won't soon forget.   You have shelter, and you are with other fellow travellers.  All of you will get through it, together, and your host hotel or resort helps you as best as they can.  Most of the time, hurricanes aren't blowing through and disrupting people's vacations, livelihoods or home lives.  Even with an annual hurricane season, these things are UNusual to happen.  So keep perspective as much as possible.  It really helps.
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: July 08, 2005, 5:39 pm Quote

Quote (utilidor27 @ July 08, 2005 14:03 am/pm)
Can't wait to see those reporters on the beaches telling people they need to stay off the beaches.  :) Anybody remember Geraldo last year!

Yes, I do!!! I found something I posted last year about this... As I wrote then, you'll only need to worry about a hurricane affecting us here in the New Orleans area if you see Geraldo Rivera doing his "bendy" routine while reporting live from the French Quarter!

And it looks like the latest hurricane forecast track from the National Weather Service for Hurricane Dennis has it shifted just a bit to the east, no longer making landfall along the Alabama-Florida border but just east of Pensacola, Florida now.

Our FOX 8 Meteorologist in New Orleans, Bob Breck, thinks that there is a greater chance of Hurricane Dennis going east of that line on the National Hurricane Center forecast track map rather than east of it. That's good news for those in New Orleans, bad news for those in the Florida panhandle.

In about 8 hours Hurricane Dennis will be back out over water -- in the Gulf of Mexico -- after leaving Cuba. At that time we'll have a better idea which way it is probably going to go.

Here is information from a hurricane post Carol wrote last year . . .

Gulf Coast media outlets if you want to follow local coverage of the hurricane:

WEAR-TV 3, ABC-TV, Pensacola FL-Mobile AL

http://www.weartv.com/

WKRG-TV 5, CBS-TV, Mobile AL-Pensacola FL

http://www.wkrg.com/

WPMI-TV 15, NBC-TV, Mobile AL-Pensacola FL

http://www.wpmi.com/

WALA-TV FOX 10, FOX-TV, Mobile AL-Pensacola FL, site not operational.

Mobile Register daily newspaper

http://www.al.com/mobileregister/

WWL-AM 870 New Orleans, news-talk, clear channel station you can pick this signal up for many miles in the southeastern U.S.

http://www.wwl.com/default.asp

WVUE-TV FOX 8, FOX-TV, New Orleans, the station Rich works at

http://www.fox8live.com/

The weatherman at Fox 8 is Bob Breck and Bob has his own weather site

http://www.bobbreck.com/

WWL-TV 4, CBS-TV, New Orleans

http://www.wwltv.com/

WDSU-TV 6, NBC-TV, New Orleans

http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/index.html

WGNO-TV 26, ABC-TV, New Orleans

http://abc26.trb.com/

WLOX-TV 13, ABC-TV, Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, Mississippi

http://www.wlox.com/

The New Orleans Times Picayune daily newspaper

http://www.nola.com/

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 08, 2005, 6:07 pm Quote

Bob Breck thinks Hurricane Dennis might make landfall around Fort Walton Beach, Florida or even Panama City Beach, Florida.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
BambiTamby Offline
The Original Lizard Lounge Queen !

Polynesian, AnimalKingdom Lodge & Concierge/Suites/LizLounge

Group: ModEARator
Posted: July 08, 2005, 9:59 pm Quote

ACK! you're right!

It's even worse this year! :shocked:

In light of all of this, the Geraldo pic did make me chuckle a bit.....
Can't wait to see those reporters on the beaches telling people they need to stay off the beaches.

too true!  :uhoh:

--------------
"Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph: a beginning, a struggle and a victory."

Presenting.....The Lizard Lounge MickEmoticons!
:loungelizard: :loungelizard2: :jammielizard: :LizardPrego: :LizardBaby: :LizardCrazy: :LizardFlag: :LizardRedheadedStepchild: :LizardHula: :TikiFire: :LizardSpending: :LizardFreeBird: :LizardPirate: :LizardThumbsup: :LizardDrool:
:pie_lizard: :LizardHockey: :LizardWaterGun:
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 08, 2005, 10:40 pm Quote

Hurricane Dennis has now been downgraded to a category 2 storm! This is great news!
:hurricane:
It is still over Cuba and much later tonight we'll find out more about where it is headed, after it reappears in the Gulf of Mexico and the National Hurricane Center can track its storm path over water again.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
BambiTamby Offline
The Original Lizard Lounge Queen !

Polynesian, AnimalKingdom Lodge & Concierge/Suites/LizLounge

Group: ModEARator
Posted: July 08, 2005, 10:59 pm Quote

that's great news Rich!

Hopefully, it won't gain anymore strength over the warm Gulf water.  :uhoh:

--------------
"Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph: a beginning, a struggle and a victory."

Presenting.....The Lizard Lounge MickEmoticons!
:loungelizard: :loungelizard2: :jammielizard: :LizardPrego: :LizardBaby: :LizardCrazy: :LizardFlag: :LizardRedheadedStepchild: :LizardHula: :TikiFire: :LizardSpending: :LizardFreeBird: :LizardPirate: :LizardThumbsup: :LizardDrool:
:pie_lizard: :LizardHockey: :LizardWaterGun:
Profile PM WEB
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 09, 2005, 7:54 am Quote

It's a category one storm this morning!

This thread is titled for the moment about Hurricane Dennis, so to be specific to that topic:  I think Florida's western coast is going to be pounded by a lot of rain Saturday (today) and Sunday.  Effect on WDW:  Breezy and windy a bit, with some rain.  Get those ponchos out!

If Dennis can stay diminished, Rich's TV station's weather people showed a weather chart of Gulf of Mexico water temperatures.  The northern Gulf waters are cooler than the warm Caribbean waters that made Dennis a Category 4 storm.  Likely landfall is Pensacola-Panama City FL, but Mobile AL is in there as a strong possibility too.  If this storm reaches cooler waters it might not stregthen much more or strengthen to not be a Category 4 as it had been.  If it can move to the east as much as possible, east of Panama City or Apalachicola FL that is less densely populated, and if the cooler northern Gulf waters can keep it from strengthening, that will all be to the good.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 09, 2005, 11:18 am Quote

Quote (utilidor27 @ July 08, 2005 14:03 am/pm)
Can't wait to see those reporters on the beaches telling people they need to stay off the beaches.  :) Anybody remember Geraldo last year!

So we're watching Weather Channel Saturday morning.  Their reporter Jim Cantore is assigned to Pensacola Beach.  Rich spots, in the background, the usual plywood boardings of windows with spray paint about "NameOfHurricane Go Away!" type wordings.  And Rich spots one to the effect "Dennis And Jim, Go Away", referring to Jim Cantore!  A case of "shooting the messenger" maybe....  

The water systems and sewer systems of Pensacola Beach will shut off at 6 pm local time today.  The authorities are asking those insisting on staying for names of next of kin and contact info for their dentists (use dental records to identify bodies) .

Dennis is now a Category two.

Central Florida is getting a brush with Dennis whether they like it or not.  Tampa has had damage already just from Dennis' feeder bands.  High winds, rains, tornado warnings going on even for Central Florida inland.  Means a possibly not pleasant day at WDW, but the park as far as I know is open for business.
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 09, 2005, 1:12 pm Quote

Quote (CarolKoster @ July 09, 2005 06:54 am/pm)
I think Florida's western coast is going to be pounded by a lot of rain Saturday (today) and Sunday.  Effect on WDW:  Breezy and windy a bit, with some rain.  Get those ponchos out!

Don't forget the possiblity of tornadoes... One already struck Tampa today, causing damage.

The feeder bands of Hurricane Dennis have already gone over the panhandle of Florida and continue to do so -- so that means even Walt Disney World can have tornadoes related to the feeder bands of Hurricane Dennis this weekend.
:hurricane:

The latest estimated time for Hurricane Dennis to make landfall is sometime late tomorrow afternoon, possibly at a category 3 strength.

People from Pearl River, MS to the Florida panhandle are getting ready for a possible direct hit.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
sadizney Offline
Sandy

Posted: July 09, 2005, 3:20 pm Quote

While I was in the Bahamas,  I was watching the hurricane pattern VERY closely since we were leaving yesterday afternoon to go home. I knew the hurricane was not directly over us but we were feeling the very strong winds from it. I really didn't want to take off yesterday but the plane ride was only a bit bumpy going up...easy for me to say now that I am home and on the ground.

--------------
:waver:  :magic:
WDW trips: Apr.'74, 'Aug. 78, Aug. '80, Aug.'84, June '86, Oct. '86, March '87, Oct. '90,  June '92,  Aug. '92, Jan. '93, Aug. '93, Nov. '94, Aug.'95, Aug.'96, June '97, Aug.'98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July 2005, June/July 2006, Feb. '07, July '07, June '08, August '09 . November '09, August '10. July '11. June/July 2012, October 2012
DL trips: April '88, Oct. '91, June '95, Aug. '95
DCL trip: April '08
Five Parks, Four Worlds, One Dream, One Man :tinkflying:
VMK Name: Sanderella :ArielSparkle: Left to right: Barb, me and Bob

Here's wishing I was 1228.25 miles closer to "home."

"PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Profile PM
417 replies since June 10, 2005, 11:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (42) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: HURRICANE CENTRAL: Storms and your Disney trip
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement