Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: AT&T Customer Service, What do you think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
eddie_valiant Offline
Eddie

Disney Vacation Club, iPhones, iPads, and iPods modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Sep. 05, 2010, 11:10 am Quote

I was going to buy an iPod Touch for my wife.  In fact, I placed it on order at the online Apple Store.

I called AT&T after I placed the iPod Touch order and they told me that she could upgrade to an iPhone 4 for $299, the same price as the iPod Touch.  Great!  I cancel the iPod Touch order and we go to the Apple Columbia, Maryland store to get her an iPhone 4.

Got through the process at the Apple store and when it came to the price, it showed up as $499.  I explained what we were told and the Apple employee stated that this was what AT&T was showing as the price.  We cancelled the iPhone 4 purchase and I called AT&T from outside the Apple store.  The person on the other end was very sympathetic when I told her that we drove to Columbia, waited in a line outside the store to purchase the phone.  She said, okay, you'll get it for $299.  I just need to put you on hold and transfer you to a supervisor.  I waited and waited on hold.

Finally the supervisor comes on and is incredulous that an AT&T employee quoted me the $299 price.  We go around and around on that one.  He said that they would hate to lose me as a customer.  But he didn't give my wife the $299 price.  I think he thought that we weren't telling the truth, but I laid it out straight to him.

So first, I am given incorrect information, information which causes me to cancel an order, drive to Columbia, wait in line and go through the activation process up to the price point.  And then, an AT&T employee says that my wife can have the $299 price.  And then she can't.

I will not pass judgement on this.  I do want to hear what you think about it.

--------------
Eddie / eddie_valiant

Disney Vacation Club forum and  iPhones, iPads, and iPods forum modEARator

Disney Resorts I've Stayed In: Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's Boardwalk Villas, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, Disney's Village Resort (Vacation Villas), The Disney Inn (AKA Shades of Green/Golf Resort), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort , Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Posted: Sep. 05, 2010, 3:44 pm Quote

Cancel the contract when you can and go to Verizon when they get their iphones early next year. That and a well worded letter documenting your troubles and who you spoke to. I don't know if it would help (at&t service apparently isn't Disney quality) but it would at least allow you to voice your opinion. :angry:

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 06, 2010, 11:27 am Quote

IPhone 4.0's come in different MB amounts of memory, hence the cost differential quoted to you, maybe.

There was also an incentive to upgrade going on this year for folks trading up from prior versions of iPhone.

The key is "When did that incentive officially end?"  Could be the lower price quoted was indeed valid, up to a certain date which has now passed since August became September last week.

So could be there was "confusion" on the part of someone at AT&T regarding what was a valid incentive offer and when that offer was in effect or expired, and the later information was the more timely and correct information.

If that's the case then whoever at AT&T said 'no there's no offer like that after all' was telling the truth and whoever said "yes we'll let you upgrade for $299" was forgetting there was a recent expiration date.

Research whatever incentives to upgrade were when iPhone 4 came out this past June, then research the dates of the offer's being available and then expiring.  Means squinting at "fine print" somewhere.  When you're shopping, for any consumer item, and there is a "sale" going on, the "sale" is usually for a limited time, has beginning dates and ending dates.  If that's the case here, then ya just missed it by thaaaaaaaaaat much.....  (Quoting the character Maxwell Smart on "Get Smart" TV show.)

Go in person to an AT & T Store.

When we upgraded to two iPhone 4.0 handsets this past June we sold one of our 3GS iPhones and both our 2007 initial offering 4GB iPhones, took the SIM card out of the remaining iPhone 3GS of ours and gave it to our son.  Son just started high school and we've quickly discovered we needed to have him have limited cell phone access in order to coordinate picking him and car pool fellow students up after school to come home.  We went to AT & T Store, explained what we needed, looked at GO Phones where you buy a simple handset and load up with pay-as-you-go-minutes, vs. simply enabling the 3GS handset he inherited by inserting a new SIM card, adding him to our plan with some data usage but very limited with parental controls on it's usage.  We went with the latter.  And because we hardly make calls on our adult 4.0s we got a reduction in monthly costs, which helps offset the additional costs per month of adding son to our plan.

We got this because we interacted face-to-face in an AT & T Store as well as husband ahead of time called AT & T and asked questions about adding son to service and what GO Phones are about, then we went to the store itself in person.  Customer service man went back to the back and got a waiver for one of the fees involved for us.  Plus when he inspected our overall account he discovered we don't use our adult minutes very much, so gave us a monthly price break of $10/month on that part of our contract.

Plus when there have been Internet service outages this summer (we don't know why) we've called AT & T immediately, and they've granted discounts on the next month's bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outages.

So AT & T might not be perfect, yeah, but we've presented any consumer issues we've had and we've been treated well, courteously, and when done in person at one of their Stores we've either gotten explanations, solutions, or some kind of mutually fair resolution.

And in person at our Apple Store in Metairie LA their customer service has been very very good.

Plead your case at an AT & T Store, see if they can have a little flexibility about the expiration date of any offers.  You might get lucky.  And if you're not lucky, then the next time there is any kind of iPhone upgrade incentive going on, make a mental note of the terms and conditions including expiration dates.  

Try to plan ahead.... If upgrading the existing for a new model of iPhone then what are the costs or implications for someone else in the family to upgrade at the same time or to inherit the older model and costs of establishing service.  The time to do homework about that is in the month and days leading up to the launch of the newest version of iPhone.  If you plan to sell older versions of handsets, the time to lock a higher price in is weeks before the release date of a new version of iPhone, not after it's released (the price quotes to buy the older handset tend to drop radically after the new release date, but are much higher beforehand at Gazelle.com ).  Plan ahead......
Profile PM
eddie_valiant Offline
Eddie

Disney Vacation Club, iPhones, iPads, and iPods modEARator

Posted: Sep. 08, 2010, 10:04 am Quote

Quote (CarolKoster @ Sep. 06, 2010, 11:27 am)
IPhone 4.0's come in different MB amounts of memory, hence the cost differential quoted to you, maybe.

No, the price point / MB was clear.

What I have done is buy the iPod Touch for my wife.  She will not upgrade her phone in February.  This will allow us to run the string out on the AT&T contract and make a decision at that point.

--------------
Eddie / eddie_valiant

Disney Vacation Club forum and  iPhones, iPads, and iPods forum modEARator

Disney Resorts I've Stayed In: Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's Boardwalk Villas, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, Disney's Village Resort (Vacation Villas), The Disney Inn (AKA Shades of Green/Golf Resort), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort , Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Profile PM
3 replies since Sep. 05, 2010, 11:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: AT&T Customer Service
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement