Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: utilidor27: A peek into my world< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Feb. 04, 2013, 9:16 pm Quote

I have been mulling over starting this many times the last few weeks, and finally figured I would give it a try. Call this a chance to say what's on my mind in a civil manner and blow off some steam in the process. Or perhaps be a little inspirational. Or both. We shall see how this goes.

A few things right off the bat. I promise not to be inflammatory, rude, use profane/unnecessary language, or single any person out by name, unless by virtue of being a public figure (i.e. politician, celebrity, corporate head) they have become associated with a particular viewpoint/position.
This is an accepted rule of the Disney Echo with regards to posting anyways, so this is just restating the obvious. :devil: :tsk:  

You may not agree with me, that fine, but accept the fact - it's my blog. Sorry, but to quote Bruce Hornsby "That's the way it is". Feel free to reflect how you feel on yours.

Off we go!  :computer:

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Posted: Feb. 04, 2013, 10:28 pm Quote

To kick or not to kick, or just how far can you stretch?

Since I started taking classes in a martial arts a couple of years ago (one of those "if you had told me three years ago I would be doing this I would have laughed my head off silly sort of things) I have come to realize how it can be such a parallel to life. Consider:

At the beginning of each class it is a prereq that you stretch. And I do mean stretch. We aren't talking arms behind your head or give it a yawn, we're talking on the ground, hands to toes, left foot to right shoulder, etc. You get the idea. The end result of this being that when you are done your muscles will be relaxed enough to allow you to kick higher and with more force. Unfortunately this stretching is one of those "no pain, no gain" ideas where you have to put yourself to the limit and then a little more. No so much that you put something out of joint, definately more than what you are accustomed to.

I find so many times in life that that is the way things can be. Something comes along your way that is unexpected, and pulls you further than you thought you could handle. And along comes something else, makes you stretch a little more. And so on. And then comes the kick.

It is at that point that you have two choices: a wild kick or a controlled kick. In taekwondo a wild kick is when you just get frustrated at an opponent or task and you just throw one out there in an attempt to get your opponent. Problem is, you do that an your move is easy to anticipate, and over 90 percent of the time you will either get blocked and have a point scored on you, or have a penalty point awarded to the other player because you aimed too low with your kick.  In life a wild kick is where you just release all that stress on someone, or somewhere, where feelings can get hurt. And you have padding in sparring - there's no padding that can protect against words. And eventually those words and actions  will come back to haunt you if you are not careful.

Contrast that to a controlled kick. That's when you take all your energy and focus it on one particular target. You observe your opponent and then aim, releasing all that force. It's what can allow for a smaller, lighter opponent to whip the tar out of a larger one - control. It is the first step towards scoring a point, and winning a match. I remember the first match I ever won my opponent got so frustrated that when the order to begin sparring was issued he just charged at me, allowing me to make a strategic kick to the mid-section. Difference: control. In life a controlled kick would be to take all that energy and focus it on something positive: a hobby, volunteering, anything that allows you to release all that energy. And don't get involved in a hobby or volunteer organization that makes for more stress. Sort of defeats the purpose don't you think? For me it is taekwondo, for others it's cooking, or woodworking, bicycling, or any other number of things. Just something that you can do and consider it your "me time".

You are going to get stretched. That's life. How long of a life you have to face that stretching, well that's up to you. But I can promise you this, you don't see very many 90 year old people with hypertension.

There has been so much chaos in my life, what with countless personal situations flaring up in such a short period of time. Loss of marriage, friends, (including an 17 year old kid who died way too soon), and issues surrounding the care of my son. But I know that one of the things that has helped keep me sane has been concentrating on controlled kicks.

--------------
Eric

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:

Profile PM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Posted: Feb. 09, 2013, 10:38 pm Quote

Modern technology and how great it is - or not.

Been musing around replacing my mp3 with an ipod. All I ever heard from my niece and nephew was "the ipod can do this, the ipod can do that". Wonderful, so I finally break down and get me an ipod. What the heck, get the touch, in for a penny in for a pound as they say.

I opened up the case and made this interesting observation. Often I have complained about buying something with instructions you cannot understand. Or instructions that only came in pictures with funky Chinese writing underneath them. (Since when is something made in China actually sold in China). But never have I opened up a flyer that had warrenty information and that's it. No "how to turn on", "what to do with the plug" etc. Where is the Apple question and answer?

Finally got it turned on and I find out that I need Itunes. Okay, no problem "ust go to the handy dandy website on your Apple computer and there you can go to..." ummm, I don't own an Apple. What do I do with my mp3 files I already have loaded. What's an app? What's Safari - I thought that was an attraction at the Animal Kingdom! Facetime? Isn't that the time I spend shaving every morning? But wait - there's more! Playlist! Now that you finally figured out how to load music on there you can make your playlist. But whatever you do, don't hold that button down....too late. Icloud? What kind of precipitation does that cause.
Brain-over-load-AAAAAAGH!!

Steve Jobs, I think you were possessed.

3 weeks later, I think I have it all figured out. But I have learned a valuable lesson. It's not that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It's just that the new tricks may kill the dog.

Anyways, now I am in the information age, understand itunes, ibooks, icloud, and all the other assorted ithingys. I have my Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster, Stephen Curtis Chapman and 80's one hit wonders all loaded. And I have spent the last two weeks thoroughly enjoying facetime (sooooo much better than Skype). I found all sorts of apps, from Star Trek to In Touch to this funky game called Angry Birds - which coincidently is waaay to addictive. Even got some cool Disney apps, including one that told me that the line for the new Little Mermaid attraction at the Magic Kingdom was 90 minutes the other day!  :o (here's going to be a lot of fun there this summer!;). Even found Taekwondo T.V.

Next stop M.I.T.!  :coolgrin:

--------------
Eric

Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 10, 2013, 8:03 am Quote

Great first entries, utilidor27!

If you or anyone owning Apple products, particularly iPhones and laptops/desktop computers, ever need help, Disney Echo Site Administrator Rich Koster long ago somehow struck up an online friendship and business relationship with David Pogue, technology columnist for the New York Times.  Rich has been editor and researcher and techno verifier for a number of Pogue's how-to manuals about how to operate Apple computer desktop operating systems and each new edition of iPhones.  

The books are called "(The Computer Operating System or iPhone X.0 and It's Operating System): The Missing Manual".  Match up the version of iPhone or operating system you have with the book and when published, or even newer editions of the iPhone related books will cover all past features of older iPhone handsets.

No brag, just fact: Written in very easy to understand how-to language anyone can follow without having had a technology degree from college.  Illustrated.  Easy to read!  Talks you through most of the Apple desktop-laptop operating system features.  Talks you through iPhones (no matter the carrier, AT & T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.) and how they operate, how to get the most out of features of them, little tips and tricks and little known cool stuff about them to help you get the most from your handset.

All you need to know is what version of iPhone you have, aka 4S, 5, etc. or the operating system on your Apple or Mac computer aka Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard, etc.  Then buy THAT "The Missing Manual by David Pogue" book.

At the bottom of this page, scroll down, is a handy link to Amazon.com.  Click it.  Find the Books section.  Enter in "The Missing Manual by David Pogue" or play around with the keywords.  Lots of listings will come up.  Pick the book applicable to your electronic device.

If you upgrade your iPhone to a newer edition and-or if you upgrade operating systems on your Apple computer just be aware David Pogue usually has a "Missing Manual" book planned about it within a few months afterward.  Hopefully Rich still working for David then!  The book will talk you through new differences between old handset or computer op system and new handset and op system.

You might not receive a "reminder" or in reality "blatant hint" about it from me, Rich, here or on Rich's Facebook newsfeeds or Twitter feeds.  But know "IF new iPhone or computer op system = THEN very likely a new Missing Manual Book from David Pogue a few months later".

Also....

If you can get yourself to any Apple Store (brick and mortar type retail stores) they offer FREE classes:  How to operate any new computer operating systems, plus how to operate any iPhone (no matter the carrier).  Look up Apple Stores online, their Store Locator, and find one nearest you.  Somewhere on Store websites is a listing of free classes the stores offer.  These might be on early mornings before the store opens for the day.  A store staffer conducts a group class with hands on, answering questions.  Excellent to attend!  Patient, kind, and extremely beneficial and helpful.  Classes are limited to X-number of people per class, though, but not to worry, they are offered regularly, but you do need to reserve a space in advance and not just show up.  Also:  Apple Stores offer that an associate of theirs can meet with you one-on-one, free of charge, to talk you through a personal learning experience how to use the computers or computer operating systems and iPhones, no matter the carrier.  Also needs to be booked in advance, don't just show up.  You can book any of these online at the store you want to visit for this purpose.

Also....

Apple Stores have classes and camps just for kids, to learn creative features of using computer operating systems and iPhones.  I don't know if there is a charge for these, but you can both ask at any store during a visit and check out that store's website and list of classes and camps of any kind, and book a spot for anything online for that store.

Consider an Apple-related "Road trip!" to the town nearest you with an Apple Store.  The classes truly are helpful (I've been to some) and no one should have to be in a techno-fog after buying an iPhone or new op sys for their Apple computer after paying all that money for those things !  Too frustrating!  Lift the fog and turn frowns and uncertainty into smiles and confidence: Take one of the FREE classes or one-on-one help sessions, and/or buy David Pogue's how-to "The Missing Manual" Books.  Simple, easy, relatively cheap, great bang for the buck values for small investment.

Rich has been approached on Facebook before about iTunes questions.  If you have any questions about iTunes, syncing iTunes to computer or iPhones, etc., just ask Rich.  You can Private Message him on Facebook.  Rich Koster is how he goes on Facebook.

Enjoy your iPod !

:thumbsup:
Profile PM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Posted: Feb. 10, 2013, 2:36 pm Quote

Thanks Carol for the info. I would have contacted Rich but I knew the Super Bowl events were going on and even though he doesn't do the sports desk it would still be "All hands on deck". And by your own admission your schedule is just slightly hectic.

I now know where to go. However as far as phones go, I think I will stick with my dummyphone for now - one mountain at a time!

We now return to our regular scheduled blog already in progress .

--------------
Eric

Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11, 2013, 6:42 am Quote

Somebody on Facebook asked him how to sync to iTunes and he answered.  If it's a simple Q & A he can answer.  Otherwise consult Apple Store free lessons, the David Pogue "The Missing Manual" books or any of the Apple users fan website chat forums for answers to questions about iPhones, computers or any of the Apple products.
Profile PM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Posted: Feb. 16, 2013, 11:21 pm Quote

Thoughts on tomorrow, or the lack of the gurantee of

Had a death of a close family member, which has brought to life the importance of each day you have. We only have so many, and you never know when yours, or the ones of someone you love will run out. I have worked the funerals of two young men, one 17, one 21. Both started their January's with normal llives, both were dead before the year was over. In this most recent incident he was only in his early 50's. Lives ended too soon. It is at this moment that I remember a few simple rules that someone shared with me once.

First, whenever possible never leave someone with a foul word or attitude. No matter how hard it may be, do your best to say goodbye with a smile on your face. That may very well be the last moment you have with someone.

Second, treasure life. Take care of yourself. Seriously. Is that last puff on that cigarette, that last drink of alchohol, or last 900 calorie cheeseburger worth it. Take a walk, watch your diet, and do your best to improve your quality of life so that others may have more of it to spend with you.

Third, make your heart right. This is where I delve into the spiritual stuff. If this makes you uncomfortable reading, well see the first post in this thread. Look, barring the second coming we are all going to die. Ugly truth, don't believe it, visit your local cemetary. So, that established, what is going to happen to you on that day when your number is called?

Some will say "well that's just it". Dust to dust, ain't no more. Others will say "we all get to go to that grand reunion in the sky". I've even heard the "well, I believe we all come back as this person or animal". (Great, your aim in life is to possibly spend eternity as a cockroach. No I don't think so.)

My personal theological belief is that there is a Heaven, but conversly there is also a Hell. Does God want us in Hell? The answer is absolutely not. It is just a byproduct of sin. Thanks to Adam and Eve sin exists in this world, it's been passed down, and face it you and I both have sinned. And in God's eyes a sin is a sin is a sin is a sin. It is what it is. But He provided a way to avoid Hell, and it is simply a belief in Jesus' ability to save. For details get to a bible believing church, and seek sound spiritual counsel to make sure you are right with God. Only takes a little bit of time and it is sound security for the future.

As they say, if you're wrong about eternity there's Hell to pay.

Fourth, love who you are with. Don't let a day go by without saying "I love you" to the ones you care deepest about. If the teenager says it's "not cool" in front of others, well do it anyways. They'll get over it. Never assume someone knows it, they need to hear it.

Finally, remember that that life of yours is precious, and given to you by God. It's not yours. Others depend on it. You might not know it, you might not think it, but they do. And no matter how bad things may look, how hard they may be, they can get worse. Yes, they can. And they will if you drag someone else down with you by leaving this planet prematurely. You life has value, you are worth something, and never, never, NEVER, let anyone tell you different. If it creeps into your head otherwise, talk to someone, Pastoral, counselor, anyone. But know that the one who made you loves you even when it seems that no one else does.

Enjoy tomorrow morning, regardless of whether it is raining, cold, windy, dreary, or bright and sunshine full. God gave you another day, it's a gift.

--------------
Eric

Profile PM
6 replies since Feb. 04, 2013, 9:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: utilidor27: A peek into my world
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement