Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: iPhone 4S: The Missing Manual by David Pogue, Tech editor: Rich Koster< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: July 18, 2007, 10:02 pm Quote

UPDATE: I am now the Tech Editor for David on the iPhone 3.0: The Missing Manual. See below!

I was delighted to be the beta-reader of David Pogue's "iPhone: The Missing Manual" book, which will be released on August 1st.

As beta-reader I looked closely through the entire book before it is sent to the printer, watching for errors in spelling or gramatical use, missing portions, and even factual errors. It was my pleasure to help out David Pogue in this way over the course of about a week, as his deadline approached. He appreciated my input, so much so that he is sending my brother and I one free copy (each) of his book -- and he will also provide a copy or two to give away here on the Disney Echo in a contest. (More about that in a few days)

David included a special thanks to me in the introduction of his book as well as separately writing to me that he felt very lucky that I voluntEARed to beta-read it. Turns out he wasn't expecting much to come from that, but I surprised him by giving it my all -- examining each page to find words spelled incorrectly, incomplete sentences -- and I even added some tips which he included in the book! In fact, he used almost all of my suggestions and feels I did a "phenomenal job" and made the book "SO much better!"
:blush:

I was just doing what I could to help, so I'm glad he appreciates it so much. And that he even included a link to the Disney Echo in his book, as well!
:clapping:

Here are a few of my thoughts about the book. I cannot find anything to fault with the book (and not just because I helped a bit with it) it is a wonderful guide to the iPhone whether you already have one, are about to get one someday, or are just wondering what all the hype is about it.

If iPhone is the "Jesus phone" as some have dubbed it, then David Pogue has written the "iPhone Bible." All the secrets, hidden mysteries and shortcuts about the iPhone will be revealed to you in "iPhone: The Missing Manual" -- in a complete and entertaining way throughout its 304 full-color pages.

Great job, David!

I'll present the official press release for the book soon, as its August 1st release date approaches.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 18, 2007, 10:10 pm Quote

Can't wait to see if you'll win a free copy of David Pogue's "iPhone: The Missing Manual"? You can pre-order it now from Amazon.com by clicking the link in this sentence -- and every order through that link helps out the Disney Echo.
:bowdown:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 19, 2007, 9:12 am Quote

Last night and early this morning David and I had a very interesting email exchange about his book which I'll share with you now. We were commenting on the "final" PDF version of the book he sent me yesterday, after it had already gone to the printer a few days ago...

- - -
David Pogue wrote:
We've actually caught a couple of small typos since this went out, but the gist is there. :)
- - -
I  wrote last night:
I found one which said to go to page xxx -- and the real page number wasn't filled in. Is that something like you mean?
- - -
Late last night, David Pogue replied:
Oh, dear. No, we didn't find that one. :(

We'll fix it asap!

( I did a global search for xx's--wonder why it didn't come up!?)
- - -
Early this morning, David Pogue wrote:
Oh, dear. You found a serious error! Chapter 8 was apparently turned in the wrong version! :(

Heads are rolling, presses are stopping ( I sure hope)...
- - -
I replied this morning:
Wow! A real-life "Stop the presses!" :Oo:

I can see Perry White snarling now! "Lois, Jimmy! Where's Clark?!? He'd know what to do."

"I dunno, Chief. He was here just a minute ago..."

"Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird... It's a plane! ...It's POGUEMAN!!"

"Never mind that... And stop calling me 'Chief!!'"

"Sorry, Chief."

The iPhone had a large part in putting together this book, beyond the book being about the iPhone. Without having seen some of your emails pushed to me wherever I was (through my Yahoo email account), we wouldn't have caught things like this in time.
- - -

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 20, 2007, 4:07 pm Quote

Well, they did in fact stop the presses, swapped in the corrected chapter, and have delayed the book's release by 1 day. But at least it'll be fixed!!

David Pogue thanked me again. :)

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 21, 2007, 10:14 am Quote

Here's the press release:

As you'd expect of Apple, the iPhone is gorgeous. iPhone: The Missing Manual is a book as breathtaking as its subject. Teeming with high-quality color graphics, each custom designed page helps you accomplish specific tasks -- everything from Web browsing to watching videos. Written by New York Times columnist and Missing Manual series creator David Pogue, this book shows you how to get the most out of your new Apple iPhone.

The name iPhone may be doing Apple a disservice. This machine is so packed with possibilities that the cellphone may actually be the least interesting part. The iPhone is at least three products merged into one: a phone, a wide-screen iPod and a wireless, touch-screen Internet communicator. The iPhone's beauty alone may be enough for you to dig for your credit cards, but its Mac OS X-based software makes it not so much a smartphone as something out of the film "Minority Report."

The real magic, however, awaits when you browse the Web. You get to see the entire Web page on the iPhone's screen. All of this is cooked up with Apple's traditional secret sauce of simplicity, intelligence and whimsy.

Written by New York Times columnist and Missing Manual series creator David Pogue, iPhone: The Missing Manual shows you everything they need to know to get the most out of your new Apple iPhone. Full of humor, tips, tricks, and surprises, this book teaches you how to extend iPhone's usefulness by exploiting its links to the Web as well as its connection to Macs or PCs; how to save money using Internet-based messages instead of phone calls; and how to fill the iPhone with TV shows and DVDs for free.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 21, 2007, 10:25 am Quote

"iPhone: The Missing Manual" sports a front and back cover which will remind you of the black box your iPhone came in. Pictured on the front cover is an iPhone with the Missing Manual dog logo (a happy dog waving its tail, bringing the just-found manual back to its owner) along with the date and time of Friday, June 29, 6:01 pm. No, that isn't when the dog found the book, or when this book was published... It refers, of course, to the night that the iPhone first went on sale in Apple and AT&T stores all across the continental U.S. -- with 1 minute past 6 pm local time in each time zone as roughly the earliest you could actually have completed your purchase of this "everything phone" Apple calls the iPhone.

The front cover of "iPhone: The Missing Manual"

Good doggie!

The quote above the title is by Kevin Kelly, co-founder of Wired: "Pogue, the New York Times computer columnist, is among the world's best explainers."

The back cover includes this information:
    iPhone
    The Missing Manual

Apple's iPhone is a breakthrough in design, miniaturization, and elegant software. This stunning, sleek, black-and-chrome touchscreen machine comes with cellphone, iPod, Internet, and organizer features -- just about everything you need except a printed manual. Fortunately, David Pogue arrives just in time with iPhone: The Missing Manual: a witty, authoritative, full-color guide to unlocking the iPhone's potential.

Coverage includes:
    The phone and organizer. Sophisticated features like conference calling, visual voicemail, and text messaging are a finger tap away. This book offers detailed instructions for syncing the iPhone with the address book and calendar on a Mac or PC.

The iPod. With a finger swipe or a pinch on the 3.5-inch, multitouch screen, you can bring your music, photos, and videos to life. These pages cover both the iPhone's entertainment features and how they interact with the collection on your Mac or PC.

The Internet. The iPhone can get online in two ways: on Wi-Fi hot spots or on AT&T's cellular network. Learn how to de-spam your email, subscribe to RSS feeds, and keep your iPhone secure.

The hardware and software. The iPhone may be the world's coolest computer, but it's still a computer, with all its complexities. iPhone: The Missing Manual is an entertaining, lavishly illustrated guide to the tips, shortcuts, and workarounds that will turn you, too, into an iPhone addict.

Includes FREE 45-Day Online Edition

David Pogue is the weekly tech columnist for the New York TImes. He's an Emmy-winning CBS News reporter, tech correspondent for NPR's "Morning Edition," and creator of the Missing Manual series.

There's more from David's resume inside the book:
    ...2006 winner of an Online News Association award (for online commentary)... He's the author or co-author of 42 books, including 17 in this series and six in the "For Dummies" line (including Macs, Magic, Opera, and Classical Music). In his other life, David is a former Broadway show conductor, a magician, and a pianist.

News, photos, links to his columns and weekly videos await at www.davidpogue.com. He welcomes feedback about his books by email at david@pogueman.com.

J.D. Biersdorfer helped with some of the book's chapters...
    J.D. Biersdorfer (iTunes, syncing, and accessories chapters) is the author of iPod: The Missing Manual and co-author of The Internet: The Missing Manual and the second edition of Google: The Missing Manual. She has been writing the weekly computer Q&A column for the New York Times since 1998, and has covered everything from 17th-century Indian art to the world of female hackers. Her work as appeared in Rolling Stone, The New York Times Book Review, and the AIGA Journal of Graphic Design. Biersdorfer, who studied theater at Indiana University, now lives in New York City and is equally obsessed with the BBC and the banjo. Email: jd.biersdorfer@gmail.com.

Inside the book, I am included in the Acknowledgments:
    A few people undertook days-long special efforts to make this book the best it could be. They included Rich Koster, who, as the book's beta reader, helped to improve it in a hundred different ways (sorry, Rich, there's no room to mention your Web site, http://disneyecho.emuck.com).

Update:
If you want to know even more about David Pogue's background, check out this page of his website.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: July 14, 2009, 1:52 pm Quote

In just a few weeks, David Pogue's new book iPhone 3.0: The Missing Manual will be out, but you can pre-order it now from Amazon at the link above (and ordering it or anything from Amazon.com after using the link above helps the Disney Echo).

For this edition, David gave me a promotion (and is paying me this time, too! ) to Tech Editor.  :coolgrin:

I highly recommend this latest edition of the book, and I'd still recommend it if I wasn't involved in its production.
:thumbsup:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Aug. 11, 2010, 12:36 pm Quote

I also helped David Pogue with his latest version of the Missing Manual, for iPhone 4. Use the Disney Echo Amazon.com link at the bottom of this page and search for it and with every order you make you'll be helping out the Disney Echo.
:bowdown:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: Aug. 28, 2010, 4:37 pm Quote

Tweets by David @Pogue: My "iPhone: The Missing Manual," covering iPhone 4 and iOS4, is FINALLY SHIPPING! Full color, $16.50." "O'Reilly deal of the day: "iPhone: The Missing Manual" 4th Edition ebook, for $10. Use code DDMFE here: http://oreil.ly/9liCMm"

Also, remember, use the Disney Echo Amazon.com link at the bottom of this page and search for the printed version of the book and with every order you make you'll be helping out the Disney Echo.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
eddie_valiant Offline
Eddie

Disney Vacation Club, iPhones, iPads, and iPods modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Aug. 30, 2010, 7:37 am Quote

Say, Rich.  Did you have anything to do with this book?  ;)

--------------
Eddie / eddie_valiant

Disney Vacation Club forum and  iPhones, iPads, and iPods forum modEARator

Disney Resorts I've Stayed In: Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's Boardwalk Villas, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, Disney's Village Resort (Vacation Villas), The Disney Inn (AKA Shades of Green/Golf Resort), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort , Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Profile PM
11 replies since July 18, 2007, 10:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: iPhone 4S: The Missing Manual by David Pogue
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement