Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: College Major, From student to imagineer.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Clemson86 Offline
Ricky

Newbie Disney EchoEar

Group: Members
Posted: July 18, 2006, 7:17 pm Quote

I've been dealing with this for a few years now, but I am still completely lost as to what to major in. I am enrolled into civil engineering because I originally wanted to design rollercoasters. From my interest in rollercoasters, and a trip a few years ago, I fell in love with Disney and the way they imagine, design, and create everything in their parks. My problem comes from the face that I'm not sure in what to major in. I know that you can major in anything and chances are imagineering has a job in it, but I want to get into something that deals with the design, planning, and coming up with the actual ideas for the attractions. I have been debating between remaining in civil engineering or transfering into architecture, landscape architecture, or construction science and management. I know there will not be one right answer, but I would like to hear all of you opinions on the matter.  
:)
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
Ave2006 Offline
Averill Springer

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: July 18, 2006, 7:38 pm Quote

Hi Ricky,

I'd really have no idea on where to steer you, but will have my husband read your post and he will respond to you.

I'm excited for you, deciding this, for your future.  Good luck in all you do!

Ave

--------------

Profile PM
Ilovdisney Offline
Cheryl

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: July 22, 2006, 4:20 pm Quote

I can tell you now as the wife of an architect, they are not the ones who design the rides. I think you are already in the right field for what you want to do. Although you may have to switch to structural eng. I would look into it. As for the other fields you mention, they aren't bad but don't ecpect to design rollercosters with them.Good luck.

--------------

It's been a long time getting from here to there. It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 22, 2006, 4:32 pm Quote

I wrote some replies to Magus in these threads, perhaps they'll help, just scroll through.

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....t=11120

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....t=11000

Just poking around in other Topics: in this Forum I found nuggets of great tips offered by others.

Scroll through and read all replies, and don't judge a thread by it's Title: thinking it's just someone wishing and there aren't concrete helpful replies.  There are!  But like a treasure hunt you need to be patient and dig around a little.  You will be rewarded with a lot of good pointers.

That's why it's always a good idea on a site to literally do read around.  Just being in read-only mode, there's a lot to be gleaned.

Good luck!
Profile PM
Ilovdisney Offline
Cheryl

Posted: July 23, 2006, 6:00 am Quote

I found this on the disney job site, It tells you what type of degree you will need to be a rollercosters designer. Again good luck in figureing out what you want to do.
         Provide technically sound amusement ride and show machinery design and commissioning on a timely basis, and meet with customer to conceive and implement customer driven solutions, develop scope, budget, and schedule, and make technical presentations. Design and detail components and assemblies and make supporting analyses, do detailing and sketching, work with other disciplines to build and test, install and commission machinery. Make decisions that affect safety, reliability, performance, analyze life cycle costs, and be able to consider reliability in decision process.

Senior Machine Design Engineer

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (These are the minimum qualifications you need to be considered for the job.)
* Proven BS degree in mechanical engineering from a Florida Department of Professional Registration recognized school.
 I'm guessing they want a Fl  school because there may be an added year to the program,but thre is no telling why and it may be that just for that job they want a Fl. school.

--------------

It's been a long time getting from here to there. It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.
Profile PM
4 replies since July 18, 2006, 7:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: College Major
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement