Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Disney Animation "Mars Needs Moms" March11, 2011< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05, 2011, 3:55 pm Quote

Quote (CarolKoster @ June 23, 2010, 7:11 pm)
OK, so I went to ol' reliable Internet Movie Database.com and found some very tantalizing info out....

Their webpages for "Mars Needs Moms" :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305591/

IMDB.com Synopsis :   "A young boy named Milo gains a deeper appreciation for his mom after Martians come to Earth to take her away."

Before you think :sleepy:  Zzzzzzzzzzz look who wrote the book this movie is going to be based on, Berkeley Breathed !  Sound familiar?  Anyone remember the comic strips "Bloom County" "Outland" and "Opus" ?  

IMDB.com listing for Berkeley Breathed is here, click all links to learn his bio and professional background, he was friends with sci-fi comedy author Douglas Adams ("Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy") :

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0106455/

And Robert Zemeckis is producing, past credits include "A Christmas Carol" for Disney, "Beowulf"  "The Polar Express"  "Back to the Future I II and III" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" among many others and in 2012 his rendition of the Beatles' "The Yellow Submarine" for Disney.  IMDB.com listing here:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000709/

I'm getting psyched !

:thumbsup:

Maybe the book is superb and a fun read for children.  And maybe this entire movie, in full context, is a fun family 3-D romp/comedy/family flick that we'll be glad that Disney made.

All I know is 1 ) Berkeley Breathed of "Bloom County" "Outland" and "Opus" was behind this, 2 ) Disney made a CGI and 3-D animated film of Breathed's children's book and the associations and crew all well-known to fantasy-sci fi and animation fans, then 3 ) I watched this clip.

http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2011....li-clip

Scroll down a bit for it.  It's a couple of seconds longer than a minute.

Speaking only for myself.....  Uh.....  I hope the movie is better than this clip from it.  Disney's promotion people could have excerpted something more engaging and exciting seeing as how the movie opens in about a week's time....  But this is what they selected to promote people to buy a ticket?  I "get it" they are setting up that the mom character is being firm and on her son's case for perhaps good reason, in order to set up what's to come in the plot.  But... uh.....  It doesn't provoke in me to buy a ticket to it at all.  

Again, I'm hoping in context the overall movie is a lot better than the promotion effort going on now.

:musicsad:  :thumbsdown:
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 07, 2011, 3:01 pm Quote

Still photos of the premiere of "Mars Needs Moms" at Disney-owned El Capitan Theater, Hollywood CA on March 6, 2011:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/mars_needs_moms_/premiere.html

Two promotional clips: "Best Buds" and "Launched into Space":

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00038860.html

Opens March 11, 2011 in 2-D, 3-D and IMAX 3-D.  Rated PG.

Reviews will be posted on various online movie review and parental guidance websites as it gets closer to the March 11 opening wide release day.

Already one review, positive in tone, is on Rotten Tomatoes.com:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mars_needs_moms/

Some other suggestions to look for reviews and parental guidance reviews, look on and after Friday morning, March 11, 2011.  These will be posted and/or added to just before, on, and the weekend of that date.  Just keep checking.

--Kids in Mind

--Plugged In Online, the media review service of Dr. Charles Dobson's Focus on the Family

--United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

--Movie Mom Nell Minow at Belief.net

--MetaCritic

--Rotten Tomatoes

--Online at your daily newspaper's website on or after Friday, March 11, 2011

--Box Office Mojo.com has a Forum called The Box Office Derby.  Within the Forum is a permanent Topic called "Crowd Reports".  Click it, then starting from the last page of postings and working backward look for persons posting that they've seen this particular movie.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 09, 2011, 8:24 pm Quote

Send your mom to Mars!  Cute promotional online gimmick......

http://sendyourmomtomars.com/
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Mar. 11, 2011, 2:50 pm Quote

Not good: Mars Needs Moms is currently 38% on Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mars_needs_moms/

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 12, 2011, 8:06 am Quote

Quote (CarolKoster @ Mar. 07, 2011, 2:01 pm)
[....]

Opens March 11, 2011 in 2-D, 3-D and IMAX 3-D.  Rated PG.

Reviews will be posted on various online movie review and parental guidance websites as it gets closer to the March 11 opening wide release day.

Already one review, positive in tone, is on Rotten Tomatoes.com:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mars_needs_moms/

Some other suggestions to look for reviews and parental guidance reviews, look on and after Friday morning, March 11, 2011.  These will be posted and/or added to just before, on, and the weekend of that date.  Just keep checking.

--Kids in Mind

--Plugged In Online, the media review service of Dr. Charles Dobson's Focus on the Family

--United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

--Movie Mom Nell Minow at Belief.net

--MetaCritic

--Rotten Tomatoes

--Online at your daily newspaper's website on or after Friday, March 11, 2011

--Box Office Mojo.com has a Forum called The Box Office Derby.  Within the Forum is a permanent Topic called "Crowd Reports".  Click it, then starting from the last page of postings and working backward look for persons posting that they've seen this particular movie.

A low score on Rotten Tomatoes might mirror low reviews or ratings elsewhere.  Check the suggested movie review and parental guidance sites in the quote box, before you spend the money or head out the door.

Although....

To be fair, people liked the children's book the movie is based on, Berkley Breathed and Zemeckis (who did the motion capture effect and directed "Polar Express" and "A Christmas Carol") have positive reputations, and in recent years with a new promotion team at Disney Studios the promos can look lousy or uninteresting, but people who've actually gone to see the movies have liked them, a lot.

Feeling lucky with your movie money, if so then give "Mars Needs Moms" a try.  It beats (for family viewing) some of what else is opening this weekend.  And it's "Disney".
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 12, 2011, 10:50 pm Quote

Wow, I guess Rotten Tomatoes.cm was right and knows what's "rotten".  Read the box office analysis, quoting:

http://www.deadline.com/2011....eyloser

'Battle: LA' Opens Strongly Friday For #1; 'Red Riding Hood' Debuts At Soft #3; But 'Mars Needs Moms' Is Big Money Loser
By NIKKI FINKE | Friday March 11, 2011 @ 11:40pm PST

FRIDAY PM/SATURDAY AM, 3RD UPDATE: Here's how the North American box office is shaping up for this weekend based on Friday's grosses. It'll be in the neighborhood of an overall $130 million weekend, which is heating up but still -7% compared to last year's fired-up Alice In Wonderland 3D totals. I'll have refined numbers and more analysis Saturday morning. But, for now,

[….]

But the movie that all of Hollywood was talking about Friday is Disney's lamely titled Mars Needs Moms 3D. Why? Because the Dick Cook leftover is going to be one of the biggest money losers of all time. It cost $150M but, even with the higher 3D ticket prices, it'll be lucky to pull in $10M this weekend -- that's right all weekend. "It's about as bad of an animated miss as possible," one rival studio exec emailed me. It's rare that any Disney toon flops at all, much less this badly. Even though it's based on the book by author and illustrator Berkeley Breathed, the Pulitzer Prize winner for his comic strip “Bloom County”. But my insiders say this movie is why, after Rich Ross screened it, Disney a year ago shuttered Robert Zemeckis' Imagemovers Digital which also produced the blockbuster Disney's A Christmas Carol. (Of course, Cook's slate also included that as well as last year's huge moneymakers Alice In Wonderland and Toy Story 3).  

[….]

End of quoted article.

If you don't know who Dick Cook is:  The former head of Walt Disney Studios, for decades.  Used to be he had successes, then a string of mediocres.  They let him go I think in September of 2008 or 2009.  And brought in the former president of Disney Channel Richard (Rich) Ross.  The movies that Dick Cook permitted to be produced were in various stages of production at the time Cook left, meaning they were allowed to proceed rather than be scrapped.  Apparently "Mars Needs Moms" is one of those Cook thought should move forward with filming, and maybe since hindsight is 20/20 that was a really lousy idea.

How about a new movie, titled "Disney Needs Hits"?
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 13, 2011, 5:02 pm Quote

Bad news for "Mars Needs Moms" from Disney.  Opening weekend $6.8 million, and that includes 3-D and IMAX 3-D movie ticket prices.  Debuts at #5 in the US.  #1 is "Battle: Los Angeles", #2 is animated "Rango" from Paramount (better reviewed).  "Mars Needs Moms" is getting bad reviews.  The romantic CGI from Disney "Gnomeo and Juliet" may have stolen some of "Mars Needs Moms"'s thunder as well as "Rango" starring Johnny Depp debuted a week ago to much better reviews.  "Mars Needs Moms" has a production budget of $150 million and is not yet playing overseas.  At this rate it will be difficult for Disney to recoup the $150 million.  It's rare for a movie to do better it's second and third and fourth weeks than opening week.  It might be downhill from here, box office wise, and it's not assured that when "Mars Needs Moms" comes to DVD, Blu-Ray or downloadable home release that it would earn much more money or a better pace than this.
:musik:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 14, 2011, 6:26 pm Quote

Quote (CarolKoster @ Mar. 05, 2011, 2:55 pm)
[quote=CarolKoster,June 23, 2010, 7:11 pm]OK, so I went to ol' reliable Internet Movie Database.com and found some very tantalizing info out....

[....]

Maybe the book is superb and a fun read for children.  And maybe this entire movie, in full context, is a fun family 3-D romp/comedy/family flick that we'll be glad that Disney made.

All I know is 1 ) Berkeley Breathed of "Bloom County" "Outland" and "Opus" was behind this, 2 ) Disney made a CGI and 3-D animated film of Breathed's children's book and the associations and crew all well-known to fantasy-sci fi and animation fans, then 3 ) I watched this clip.

http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2011....li-clip

Scroll down a bit for it.  It's a couple of seconds longer than a minute.

[....]
 :musicsad:  :thumbsdown:

Oh, dear.  "Mars Needs Moms" doing a lot worse than expected, and here's why, WOW!

Quoting the Wall Street Journal online:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakea....t-bombs

MARCH 14, 2011, 7:00 AM ET
‘Mars Needs Moms’ May Be One of Hollywood’s Biggest Bombs

By Anthony Kaufman

Disney’s latest 3-D animated film “Mars Needs Moms” may be one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.

Though released widely in 3,117 theaters over the weekend, the 3-D animated adventure earned a paltry $6.8 million.

According to the box office tracking site, Box Office Mojo, that ranks among the top ten worst openings ever for a film distributed that broadly. Taking into account the high cost of tickets for 3-D and IMAX screens, along with the film’s reported $150 million budget, the sales numbers look downright disastrous.

Disney distribution president Chuck Viane was scratching his head on Sunday morning. “No one ever wants to open a movie this far below expectations,” he said. “We’re wondering what happened.” According to the studio, 85% of the audiences were families, 53% were women, and IMAX and 3-D sales made up strong percentages of the sales, which is all in line with expectations for an animated film. But there was one significant problem, as Viane said, “Not enough people came to see the movie.”

Hollywood.com Box Office president Paul Dergarabedian was also “baffled” by the lack of interest in the film. “Usually kids and families just want to see something new and so they go out in sizable numbers,” he said, via email, “but in this case it just didn’t happen.”

Dergarabedian suggested one reason for the “Mars Needs Moms” crash may have been too many animated films in theaters. Disney’s “Gnomeo & Juliet,” released five weeks ago, took full advantage of the lack of family animated films in the marketplace and performed strongly, he said, with domestic grosses now nearing $90 million. But “Gnomeo” took a drop when Paramount’s “Rango” hit theaters just last weekend. “The more competition, the more fragmented the family marketplace becomes,” he added. “‘Mars Needs Moms’ just entered a more competitive environment.”

But Viane doesn’t buy that theory, pointing to the powerful box office of Disney’s late 2010 animated release, “Tangled,” which survived a marketplace crowded with family-targeted content to become the 14th biggest animated film ever, with over $551 million in global sales.

“But if the trend continues,” Viane conceded, “then it’ll be something we’ll all have to think about.”

Over the next two months, three new animated films will be released, “Rio” and “Hoodwinked Too!” in April and “Kung Fu Panda 2″ in May.

End of quoted article.

OK, a disclaimer here:  I did not see this movie in a theater.

Despite that:  Click the link and watch the clip.  Ask yourself "Am I taking my kids and family out in traffic to a movie theater on a weekend and buying matinee or night time movie tickets, in 3-D or even IMAX 3-D, and movie snacks at the concession stand, and paying all this money, based on this clip?  And yes I know it's a Disney movie but does this look and sound like Disney???"  Ask yourself.  If the whole movie is like this, and like other clips Disney's released to promote this movie, then no wonder it flopped!

If it was also insufficiently promoted, well, maybe internally they knew they had a stinker, I have seen lots of TV ads though.

I agree with folks in the Comments at the WSJ link that 1) "Rango" from Paramount and "Gnomeo and Juliet" from Disney both opened recently, did well, and there may be too much animated product out there for families.  Gee you can't see every animated film that comes out...  When will the sons and daughters do soccer, gymnastics, dance class, Scouts, etc.?  And 2) "Rango" and "Gnomeo and Juliet" can distract audiences if released at the right time, the right date on a movie release calendar.  That's part of the art and science of movie release scheduling.  It's World War 3.

The house of animation and movie-making that Walt built had it's golden eras when he was alive and in the 1990s....  And now seems to have lost it's way again.  

Two big movies coming out within months:  "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" and "Cars 2".  I've been nervous for awhile, but I really am thinking Disney will find a way to screw up "POTC 4".  And Pixar has such a remarkable record for quality and consistent hits, even though "Cars" may not have been everyone's favorite Pixar movie it still made tons of money and sold tons of "Cars"-themed merchandise, which is why there's a "2".  I hope "Cars 2" will prevail despite Disney's declining magic at movie promotion.  As for "Pirates 4"....  Cross your fingers, Ol' Captain Jack's  :depp: real nemesis' and villains are not Davey Jones or Blackbeard... It's the Disney promotional department at Disney Studios!

As for Berkeley Breathed:  Maybe his children's book is good.  But bring back "Opus", "Outland", and "Bloom County"!  He did much better at those!
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 15, 2011, 10:33 am Quote

Fall out from the disaster of "Mars Needs Moms".....

Sing-A-Long: Disney's not gonna make "A Yellow Submarine", "A Yellow Submarine", "A Yellow Submarine"…..

Quoting:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/15/submarine_torpedoed/

Disney torpedoes Yellow Submarine
Robert Zemekis 3D remake of 1968 classic canned
By Lester Haines
Posted in Entertainment, 15th March 2011 13:21 GMT

Disney Studios has torpedoed Robert Zemekis's planned 3D remake of Yellow Submarine, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
The Back to the Future and Forrest Gump helmsman planned to deploy 16 Beatles tracks and "cutting-edge motion-capture technology" in the re-imagining of the 1968 animation.

Budget issues and a canned meeting with the remaining Beatles are among the reasons cited for the sinking, but it is likely that the "disastrous box office wipeout" suffered by Zemekis's Mars Needs Moms played a major part in Disney's decision.
The film cost $150m, but took just $6.9m in its US debut. It also used motion-capture, and the Hollywood Reporter says Disney had concerns about the "creepy" depiction of human characters.
All is not yet lost for Zemekis, who apparently retreated to Montana over the weekend to "regroup" and ponder where he might yet stick his Yellow Submarine. He is free to punt the project to other studios, the Reporter notes. ®

End of quoted article.

Sounds like Mr. Zemekis is now on the "outs" with Disney Studios.....

Back in 2004 Disney released the live-action "The Alamo" after it was supposed to have been released at Christmas 2003 but it wasn't finished yet for earlier.  It had a major block-buster budget but earned very paltry box office the Easter weekend it opened.  Dick Cook was in charge of Disney Studios then, and Michael Eisner was CEO.  It was the spring of the Disney Stockholder's protests which eventually got Michael Eisner out as CEO and Robert Iger in as CEO of Disney.

"The Alamo" lost money, big time.

Then Disney Animation released "Treasure Planet" in the November movie release season for the holidays, lots of money was poured into making it, and it too lost money in big chunks.

The movie business is a gamble, always.  But a big respected name and "brand" such as Disney ought to have pockets deep enough to hire top talent and top movie idea concepts from the first.  From studio head on down, to the contractors it takes to make and film and release and promote films.... You'd think Disney wouldn't stumble so much as it seems to be doing in the last year, with the exception of last year's "Alice in Wonderland" and "Toy Story 3" which were #2 and #1 for the year in box office for 2010 respectively.  Getting rid of Dick Cook was an obvious start, back in 2009 or 2008.  But sheesh how much longer will it take what Cook greenlighted to continue to be released and bomb or go mediocre at the box office???
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 15, 2011, 11:31 am Quote

Part of probably a lot of things that went wrong with "Mars Needs Moms" and harkens back to when Walt Disney himself would helm the movies and cartoons that were made when he was alive:  Story.  It's gotta have a good story that people can get into and identify with.  If the story is bad, it doesn't mean a technological gimmick is going to rescue it.  Back in 1995 "CGI" was a new cartooning-animation technique.  But what made Pixar's "Toy Story" successful back then was "story".  Probably "Yellow Submarine" as a story for a movie is weak and dated, and if it doesn't have a good story no amount of motion-capture or glitzy special effects will rescue a movie from a bad story.  And maybe "Mars Needs Moms" is a better book to use your imagination with than to make a movie out of it.
Profile PM
24 replies since June 23, 2010, 7:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Disney Animation "Mars Needs Moms" March11, 2011
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement