Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (7) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Tangled: Biggest Disney Animation Studios opening< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08, 2010, 7:51 am Quote

Rich posted earlier in this Topic, and several months ago, "Rapunzel" would open in December 2010.  The latest accurate information is that it will open November 24, 2010.
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
GoofyfanChuck Offline
Chuck

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Feb. 06, 2010, 7:47 pm Quote

Is there a teaser trailer?  I remember Princess and the Frog had a teaser trailer many months before the film came out.

--------------
I even wanna be me! -- Zoe "Royal" Payne
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Feb. 08, 2010, 1:25 am Quote

No teaser trailer, yet.

There is a short clip (see earlier in this topic) and a lot of concept art.  No trailer.

"Several months before it comes out" might mean a trailer is ready for when "Toy Story 3" plays in theaters in June, 2010.  Or possibly when "Alice in Wonderland" opens March 5.  Or in time for Oscars March 7th.

It's still VERY early for trailers for a movie that comes out in November.  During the Super Bowl today, for example, Disney only bought two spots, for "Alice" and for "Prince of Persia".  Alice comes out in a matter of weeks, and "Prince" is for Summer 2010.

So it's early to expect full promotion for a November movie.

And you cite that promotion for "The Princess and the Frog" came out "several months before it came out".  While I loved the movie, "Princess/Frog" has not broken even in it's own country, it's profitable only because it's earning money overseas now.  "Early promotion" doesn't always motivate people to see a movie that doesn't open for most of a year.  In "Princess" case "early promotion" didn't turn out enough people to want to make "Princess" a hit.  

With a new studio head and new executives at Disney Studios I have to emphasize it's a new day and new people who see the world from a whole new view over at Disney Studios.  What worked in the past isn't working now, so new people, new blood, fresh new outlooks and fresh new world views are being implemented over at Disney Studios.  No telling what plans they had, then when Dick Cook left the studio maybe those plans had to change.  Just something to think about.

What matters is that some seeds of making plans are planted in likely movie-goers, then you cultivate those seeds in the two months then two weeks before mass market release.  

So I'd look for "Rapunzel" spots within "Toy Story 3" or maybe in "Alice in Wonderland", two films Disney is very heavily promoting now.  A'lice" opens March 5, "TS3" in June.

So be patient. :)
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Feb. 12, 2010, 8:30 pm Quote

Oh oh, folks....  Shocker....

Disney Animation Studios on Facebook is announcing today to their Fans that there is a title change.

Out:  "Rapunzel"
In:  "Tangled"

Now, usually this means something in market testing is showing Disney there's a problem with the movie among audiences that view it in test showings.  Something about the title...  Hmmmmmm....  

Disney Feature Animation is one of the core businesses of The Walt Disney Company.  Uniquely among other movie studios, since "Steamboat Willie" came out in 1928 Disney animation reaches back in American history, American pop culture, and multiple generations of people world wide.  It is a cultural icon.  Now, maybe in recent years other studios have captured the lead away from Disney, including Pixar with is now a subsidiary.  In recent years Disney tried CGI, renewing a commitment to hand-drawn 2-D animation, and now the new process in "Rapunzel"-"Tangled".  "The Princess and the Frog" domestically didn't make back it's production costs.  Now Disney is trying again with "Rapunzel", and I guess the title isn't working......

Here is what is posted on Facebook, what do you think?

Quoting:

"Hey everyone, I'm Roy Conli, producer of Disney's next animated film. I have some exciting news to share, and it was important to me that YOU guys – the Disney fans – hear it first. I want to tell you about Walt Disney Animation Studio's 2010 release, Tangled. It’s a really fresh, smart take on the Rapunzel story.

In our film, the infamous bandit Flynn Rider meets his match in the girl with the 70 feet of magical golden hair. We're having a lot of fun pairing Flynn, who's seen it all, with Rapunzel, who's been locked away in a tower for 18 years.

I’m so proud of the crew working on this film – they’re doing a fantastic job creating an awesome story with great characters and a stunning world – and it's all going to look amazing in 3D. All of us here at the studio are incredibly excited for you to see Tangled when it comes out in theaters this November."

End of quoted.

Rich my husband read on some blogs that Disney did some focus groups on why "Princess and the Frog" didn't resonate.  Boys wanted no part of a movie with "Princess" in the title.  Among girls "not enough princess, too much time in the swamp as a frog, wanted more princess".  So I guess they are taking that information and tweaking "Rapunzel" to be of broader appeal.  By calling it "Tangled".
Profile PM
GoofyfanChuck Offline
Chuck

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Feb. 14, 2010, 3:35 am Quote

Tangled?  Hmm.

Wait..."not enough princess"?  A good portion of the movie had Tiana (and/or Charlotte) in it.

--------------
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Feb. 14, 2010, 8:20 am Quote

The issue as I understand it is that Tiana didn't wear a gown or a tiara through the entire length of the movie 'kind of a thing'.  She spent time in the swamp as a frog and she aspired to open a restaurant and be a business entrepreneur. Princesses aren't living in swamps, and they aren't business entrepreneurs, they live in elegant castles.  The viewers Disney surveyed wanted her to look and act like a "Disney princess" all through the movie, not the frog part, not the chef part, not the business entrepreneur part.  What little girls who are very girly like is the dressing up-magica-regal-pretendingl part of the Disney Princesses, such as when Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand and Cinderella went from crying to ravishing and sparkly in an elegant ballgown and hairdo.  The title had "The Princess and the Frog" and literal-minded girl Disney Princess fans waited and waited to see the "Princess" part of it, and there wasn't enough "Princess".  It was hyped as Disney's first African-American Princess.  Like the old 1980s Wendy's Hamburgers commercial "Where's the beef?" perhaps a newer audience of girls movie patrons were in the fast food drive-up of movie character expectations and wanted to know "Where's the Princess part that you put in your movie title and hype up?"  That's how I interpret it.  Charlotte the Uptown girl friend was a friend, not a Princess and not a Disney Princess.  Think "literal minded girls" who latch on to whatever they latch onto and are sharp for that and that only.  

Turning this to being back about "Tangled":  The American International Toy Fair opens today, and one of the Disney toys is of Rapunzel with a long wig that can be styled.  So the movie title change was just announced, consumer marketing of toy tie-ins is now being introduced to those who are in the toy industry.  Rapunzel... not Tangled...  They've got a few more months to get the packaging corrected to the new title.

Read about it:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA....9824189

Redirecting to talking about "Tangled".  If you want to analyze "The Princess and the Frog" just like iPhones have an App for that, we already have a Topic for that movie, so head on over and weigh in:  What could Disney have done better to make "The Princess and the Frog" a better, more popular movie?
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Mar. 02, 2010, 6:29 pm Quote

Teaser trailer for "Tangled".  Yep.  That's all there is to it, alright.  You'll understand after you view the clip.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63779

Anyone buying the DVD or Blu-Ray DVD of Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" March 16th will see the same trailer on there, too.

About the teaser trailer....  Read the comments at the link, but not 'til after you watch the clip.  

I'm a Disney fan.  A Disney animation fan.  A Disney shareholder.  The "Disneyana"-type stuff, I'm soooooooooo there, don't have to ask me twice.  And with this clip, I'm not enticed, yet, to see this movie.  And Disney's gotta do a lot better than this clip to motivate me to buy a ticket or care.  Mind you, yep, I'll be at the theater in November to see "Tangled".....  but this clip is underwhelming and undermotivating.  At least to me.

Your thoughts?
Profile PM
GoofyfanChuck Offline
Chuck

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: April 04, 2010, 1:33 pm Quote

I saw the teaser.   Looked okay.  The tower looked great.

--------------
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 06, 2010, 1:15 pm Quote

Meh.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
GoofyfanChuck Offline
Chuck

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: June 11, 2010, 7:33 pm Quote

Here's a better teaser for you to see.  

Don't like the song that goes with this (too tween-ish)

--------------
Profile PM
66 replies since May 22, 2007, 6:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Tangled: Biggest Disney Animation Studios opening
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement