Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Turn-down service & chocolate, even non-concierge, Plus: Tipping for turndown/Mousekeeping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Oct. 04, 2004, 10:30 pm Quote

Yoo Hoo, Disney EchoEars!

This is available not only at the Polynesian Resort but all WDW and Disneyland Deluxe Resorts: When you are staying at a Deluxe Resort at the concierge level, among the perks you get are complimentary turn-down service of bed linens and chocolate on your pillows. But if you aren't staying concierge, just call housekeeping from your room and they'll give you turn-down service and the chocolates for free.
:thumbsup:

Now, I'm not a fan of mint of any kind and my personal opinion is that when mint is combined with chocolate that's a waste of good chocolate.
:chew:

But I went ahead and tried the chocolate mints left on our pillow at the Polynesian Resort and my review of them is that they have just the slightest hint of mint which doesn't spoil the chocolate taste for me. I don't mind these chocolate mints at all!

The outer wrapper is gold foil with a pineapple printed on it: green leaves at the top and black lines surrounding diamonds of the gold foil representing the lower part of the pineapple. The wrapper doesn't mention what company makes the chocolagte mints.

We got the chocolate mints and the turn-down service for free even though we didn't stay in the concierge level. All I had to do is call housekeeping (using the button marked on our resort room phone) and request it. I called them the morning of our first full day at the resort, since we arrived so late the night before. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did I get turn-down service that night, but even the following night (without asking for it that day).

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 04, 2004, 11:22 pm Quote

If you have toys in the room, arrange them on the bed so that the turn down service people get the idea.  We found our son's plush waiting up for him in the bed one night after it had been turned down. ;)  They were just sitting up in the bed, nothing clever like I've read some housekeepers do (such as one plush is racing away with the toilet paper, or the toys are watching a TV that's been turned on) but still it was a lovely gesture that seemed "just right" after a long day.
Profile PM
Liv2CdWorld Offline
Beth

ModEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: Oct. 05, 2004, 9:10 am Quote

Rich, I've requested turndown service at WL with no problems.  I didn't have to call every day, just once and I had it for the week.

Carol, We've come back to our room several times with the TV on and the "toy gang" were all watching TV - Mickey had the remote, of course.

There was also another time that mousekeeping made a hammock for my son's "doll."  He got a kick out of this!  Michael (the doll) had his own bed to sleep in!
Profile PM
polyfan4ever Offline
Charline

Polynesian Resort forum co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Oct. 05, 2004, 12:24 pm Quote

During our stay in July at the Polynesian they did some of those things with the animals and our teens boys loved it!  Actually I think they looked forward to returning each night to see what they had arranged.

We didn't particularly care for the chocolates, but we loved the gesture.

Our son's friend (age 17) thought it is was so cool what they do to the toilet tissue while on the spool.  They turn the corners under just to look nice.  He had not ever seen this done before and just thought it was cool that anyone thought about the toilet tissue.

Oh, to be at the Polynesian again right now.......

:minnie:

--------------
Charline / polyfan4ever

Magical Dreams & Wishes Travel
Profile PM
M&M4kids Offline
Lisa

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Oct. 05, 2004, 7:32 pm Quote

I am staying at the conceirge level at the Polynesian and I heard that you have to request turn down service.  I think I will request it once and ask them to do it every evening for the length of my stay.  I, naturally, do have some questions about "turn down" service...
What does housekeeping do????....just come in and turn down your bed????  I mean isn't that kind of silly????  What's the big deal...It takes me one flip of my wrist to turn down my own bed.  Am I missing something here????

Next question...what time do they do this?  or....Do I request a certain time?  What if you are in your room when they arrive??  Just tell them you are all set???

Thanks for answering my dumb questions!!!
:hula2:  :hula:  :pixiedust:  :pixiedust:  :hula2:  :hula:  :pixiedust:  :pixiedust:  :hula2:  :hula:  :santa:  :pixiedust:  :pixiedust:

--------------
Lisa

Profile PM
ladymarganne Offline
Maggie

ModEARator emEARitus

Posted: Oct. 05, 2004, 8:31 pm Quote

When we stayed at the GF in August we had nightly turndown service and we weren't concierge. We didn't request it, either. We also had coffe in the lobby of our building. It seems to me that the only or the biggest difference in concierge is the lounge itself. We've always been able to get last minute p.s.'s through guest services at whatever resort we stay at, so unless you're getting a larger room or a special view, there's not much difference in the two, except for the loung. Our chocolates were the same as Rich described with just a touch of mint and oh, soooo goood, but although wrapped in gold foil, it had a drawing of the castle on it....need I say we kept a few? lol

--------------
Maggie / ladymarganne
modEARator emEARitus

http://www.ladymarganne.com/florida_001.htm
If you're looking to buy your dream home in Florida ... check it out! I've been a licensed real estate agent in Florida for over 25 years and love Orlando homes!
Profile PM WEB AOL YIM
Pixie Chick Offline
Bethanie Flynn

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Oct. 06, 2004, 8:16 am Quote

What does housekeeping do????....just come in and turn down your bed????  I mean isn't that kind of silly????  What's the big deal...It takes me one flip of my wrist to turn down my own bed.  Am I missing something here????

Next question...what time do they do this?  or....Do I request a certain time?  What if you are in your room when they arrive??  Just tell them you are all set???

Last year was our first time staying at a Deluxe Resort - we stayed at the Polynesian CLV.  I too, thought turn-down service wouldn't be that much of a benefit and was kind of silly.  I found out differently...  It's not so much the bed being turned down, but mousekeeping also emptied the trash cans, which was a HUGE help because at the time our daughter was 1, and the cans were filled with diapers :punched:  and having them emptied twice a day was indeed a benefit!  LOL

In addition mousekeeping also brought extra towels for us and took the used ones without us asking.  They usually showed up between 6:00-7:00, and we were in the room a couple of times she showed up and she went about her business and made friendly conversation with us.  The nights we were out during turn-down service we would come back to find my daughter's stuffed animals arranged on the bed, and one night Minnie was holding one of my daughter's books with the other animals around her.

All in all turn-down service, I found is not a necessity, but it does add an extra magical touch to your vacation!  

:hulamicmin:

--------------
Oct. '92 Port Orleans
Dec. '95 Port Orleans
Oct. '00 Caribbean Beach/POFQ
Sept. '01 Coronado Springs
Oct. '02 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
Sept. '03 POR/Polynesian LVC
Nov. '04 Animal Kingdom Lodge
Nov. '04 Grand Floridian

Profile PM WEB
Liv2CdWorld Offline
Beth

ModEARator emEARitus

Posted: Oct. 06, 2004, 11:26 am Quote

We too had a little one in diapers so the extra effort to empty the trash was heaven!!  

Also, it was nice to come back to your room "freshened up."  

Bethanie/Pixie Chick hit the nail on the head :
All in all turn-down service, I found is not a necessity, but it does add an extra magical touch to your vacation!  
Profile PM
pixiepower Offline
Michele Spera

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Oct. 06, 2004, 2:45 pm Quote

We just came back from the Polynesian LVC and they did turn-down and I didn't have to ask, when we were out late it was nice to come back to the room and the light was on and extra towels and garbage taken out. Stitch was there waiting for my 5 year old with the other stuffed friends on the bed.
Michele spera

--------------
pixiepower

Profile PM AOL YIM
polyfan4ever Offline
Charline

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Oct. 06, 2004, 7:19 pm Quote

I just think it's kind of nice to return to your room and the bed is turned down and the chocolates placed on the bed.  I know it doesn't take a lot of effort, but it's to make you feel special.  I do appreciate that the mousekeepers empty the trash again and check for soiled towels.  When there in July with 2 teenage boys, they took extra showers so extra towels were used.

I certainly appreciate all that Mousekeepers do for the guests.  If something isn't done or hasn't been done, just call the desk and they'll take care of it.  We had a couple of glitches and we called and within minutes they fixed them.

Oh, just to be there right now....oh how I wish.....

:minnie:

--------------
Charline / polyfan4ever

Magical Dreams & Wishes Travel
Profile PM
44 replies since Oct. 04, 2004, 10:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Turn-down service & chocolate, even non-concierge
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement