Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Turn-down service & chocolate, even non-concierge, Plus: Tipping for turndown/Mousekeeping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
alacazander Offline
Connie

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03, 2004, 5:28 pm Quote

Is the turn down service an automatic if your staying concierge?

:laugh:

--------------

Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
WebTink Offline
Becky

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 03, 2004, 5:35 pm Quote

Yes turndown service is part of the regular service in the concierge building!  And on this subject, I would like to remind people:  Don't forget to leave a tip for your turndown mousekeeper.  Sometimes the mousekeeper who makes up your room in the a.m. is not the mousekeeper that handles turndown service in the evening, so you need to do separate tips.  We tried to leave our tips every day, as opposed to waiting till the end of the vacation, because you just never know who is working your floor every day.  You want to make sure they all know you appreciate their service.  We made up little envelopes to use so they wouldn't be missed, and placed them on the night stand each day in the morning and each afternoon before heading back out to play.  

--------------
Becky / WebTink
Just get on any major highway, and eventually it will dead-end in a Disney parking area large enough to have its own climate, populated by large nomadic families who have been trying to find their cars since the Carter administration.
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
alacazander Offline
Connie

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 03, 2004, 8:49 pm Quote

Interesting!

How much did you tip for each service? :uhoh:

--------------

Profile PM
WebTink Offline
Becky

Posted: Mar. 03, 2004, 10:56 pm Quote

The advice I am going to give comes from a website that I used to determine what is appropriate for these hotel services.  The web site is called The Original Tipping Page

Chambermaids:  $5 a night minimum.  Consider $7-9 per night for longer stays (over a week).

What we did was go to the upper end of what was appropriate per day and divided that by two for the two services.  Since there were five of us in one room, I didn't consider it excessive to tip $5 per service.  Remember, it might be a different mousekeeper or it might be the same, but he/she/they are receiving, in total, the recommended nightly tip.

Other advice from that web site:
Room service waiter: 15% of bill  (I believe this is already added to your bill at Disney resorts).

Bellhop:  $10 for bringing  you to your room with luggage; $5  for opening and showing the room

Lobby attendant: none for opening door or calling taxi from stand; $1 dollar or more for help with luggage or finding a taxi on the street

Desk clerk: none unless special service is given during long stay; then, $5

Concierge $5-$10 Average. More for special services or favors (this however does not apply at Disney resorts since they are not allowed to receive gratuities; they don't operate as a traditional concierge, but are part of a service you are paying for)

Hope this helps.  This web site offers an inexpensive little wallet card that can help you figure out 10% and 15% tips on a dollar amount.  I ordered one and it is very helpful, especially since I like to go with the 15-20% range for good service.

--------------
Becky / WebTink
Just get on any major highway, and eventually it will dead-end in a Disney parking area large enough to have its own climate, populated by large nomadic families who have been trying to find their cars since the Carter administration.
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

modEARator emEARitus: Polynesian Resort/Yacht & Beach forums

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: Mar. 04, 2004, 1:00 pm Quote

Also remember all guests can get turndown. If you are non-concierge just call and request it when you are there.

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Polynesian Resort web pages http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
Profile PM WEB
Disneyhappy Offline

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: Mar. 04, 2004, 1:27 pm Quote

Yikes! We always pride ourselves on being good tippers. I'm not so sure after reading web tink's post. We usually tip maid service $1/person/day. By the time our week is over, I know who the our maid was for most days and we tip her again at the end of the week.

Bellhop - We usually tip $1/bag but round it up to the nearest $5 which is usually $10. I never thought of tipping separate for him opening up the room.

Valet we usually tip $2 drop off and pick up each.  Except one time my hubby tipped $51 when we picked up our car the the Swan (or maybe Dolphin). He thought he had two $1 bills but grabbed it from the wrong pocket. The next morning he was searching all of his pants for the $50 he thought he had. He was so upset he wouldn't order dessert the trip to make up the difference! (So, I ordered a dessert and pretended I was too full to eat it so he would have to help! Poor guy! )

I can't wait to show this post to DH! Thanks for the heads up!

--------------

Profile PM
WebTink Offline
Becky

Posted: Mar. 04, 2004, 2:08 pm Quote

Another thing to really keep in mind regarding tipping is that it is OPTIONAL.  I understand the financial ramifications for most service workers, and strongly urge people to tip, but there is no OBLIGATION to tip (except where it is added to the bill! ).  It is discretionary and what you have done in the past sounds great and was probably greatly appreciated.  Yikes on the big OOPS, though!  What an Ouch! That was probably REALLY appreciated  :unhappy: --the poor valet probably didn't even notice the amount till later, though.  Probably just stuffed it in his pocket, huh, and wondered where it came from later.

--------------
Becky / WebTink
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
alacazander Offline
Connie

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 04, 2004, 3:03 pm Quote

When you say you put it in an envelope and leave it - do you address it Mousekeeping, housekeeping, maid, etc?

Thanks for all the help!  I honestly would have never thought to tip housekeeping.  I don't know why the've earn it! :)

--------------

Profile PM
WebTink Offline
Becky

Posted: Mar. 04, 2004, 3:14 pm Quote

The first day I addressed the envelopes to "Housekeeping", but they also have "Mahalo" printed right on them, the way I made them up, and that means "thank you" which the staff should know since we were at the Polynesian.  Some people write "To Mousekeeping" on their envelopes.  You don't have to put it in an envelope at all.  It's just for fun--gave me something to do to put the magic in our trip before we even left.

--------------
Becky / WebTink
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
Mary Offline
Please stand clear of the doors.....

Posted: Mar. 04, 2004, 4:16 pm Quote

Web Tink,

I love your mousekeeping envelopes!  Where did you find them?

--------------
Peace,
Mary
:pixiedust: :beer: :pixiedust: :tinkflying:

We enjoyed our Christmas 2004 vacation at WDW!
May 2005: DD Katie performed with her band in WDW and we stayed at the Polynesian
Profile PM
44 replies since Oct. 04, 2004, 10:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Turn-down service & chocolate, even non-concierge
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement