Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Wheelchair access at the Polynesian< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Juliah Offline
Julia Hatfield

Disney EchoEar

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 18, 2004, 12:28 am Quote

I'm excited to find a forum about our favorite WDW resort! I hope someone might be able to answer some questions...

We usually stay in a wheelchair accessible room with a roll-in shower at the Polynesian in Rapa Nui because our two DDs are in wheelchairs. For our upcoming trip, we were only able to book an accessible room with a tub. Does anyone know where these rooms are? Which building? What floor? What view? I'm concerned about needing to use an elevator (it gets old squeezing two power chairs at a time in elevators) and I'd rather not have a parking lot view, even though I know it's better than a typical parking lot view.

Thanks!

Juliah

--------------
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Sep. 19, 2004, 7:09 pm Quote

Existing thread about the Polynesian and accessible rooms in the Special Needs Forum on Disney Echo:

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....8;t=551

Call Disney and ask them your questions and emphatically request the type of room and location you prefer, have them make a note of it in your room reservation notes, and reconfirm and reconfirm as your travel dates approach.  At check-in reiterate your requests and recall the date you made these requests.  Never guarantees, but if you request specifically and early enough and are going at a "slower" time of year chances are better of getting specifically what you request than otherwise.  That's all I can add to help you.  I hope you get the "nitty gritty" answers you are seeking soon.  :)

Disney Echo can help you in two other ways, and both are variations on a theme of "site search engine", might as well see whether past postings have the answer you are looking for, just to rule that possibility out:

Scroll to the top of this page, hit "Search".  Enter a key word or words, then in the Forum selection box select, maybe, Polynesian Resort as a first option, then go down and select posts done this year.  Hit "enter" and see if anything comes up.  Click on topics you'll see and dig around from there.  Other option here is to "Search all Open Forums" and not just the Polynesian.

In late 2003 we had to change operating systems on Disney Echo after a hard disk crash on the host computer in New Hampshire.  Postings on Disney Echo prior to December 2003 are achived and are still a valuable resource.  So scroll to the top of this page and search for words "Vault:  Disney Echo" in little letters but they are at the top of this page, in the middle, trust me.  Click the words, they are a hot link to the archives.  Hit the same gray "Search" button and enter in your keywords and desired Forum or Search All Forums since the start of time. ;)  Play around with a key word or two to help your search.  The Vault:  Disney Echo also has a Special Needs Forum, you might want to double check in there.  Vault:  Disney Echo is closed to new postings, but if you see anything in there to ask about or to help you, bring it over here via copy-and-paste to the most appropriate Forum and we'll do our best to help you. :)
Profile PM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

modEARator emEARitus: Polynesian Resort/Yacht & Beach forums

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: Sep. 20, 2004, 10:11 am Quote

The accessible rooms I am aware of are in Rapa Nui facing the Tahiti longhouse and not the parking lot. This does not mean there are none that face the parking lot but I have only been told about a few that were on the Tahiti side. I was told a long time ago there were some in Tokelau but I don’t know where and if they are still there after the rehabs in past years. The rooms in Rapa Nui were on the ground level and I am sure if you call someone there can help you with room location.

Any information you find out about these rooms and their location I would be very interested in the information to add to my web pages if you could pass it along.

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Polynesian Resort web pages http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Sep. 20, 2004, 10:33 am Quote

Yoo Hoo and aloha, Julia / Juliah!

Welcome to the Polynesian Resort forum and the Disney Echo, Julia. Thanks for the kind words about this place! When is your upcoming trip? If you let me know when it starts I'll add a countdown clock to your vacation into your signature, near this pair of Disney EchoEars I'm pleased to present to you for joining us and posting your first message:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Juliah Offline
Julia Hatfield

Disney EchoEar

Posted: Sep. 20, 2004, 11:50 pm Quote

Thanks for all the information and the warm welcomes! I will see what else I can find out and will post what I learn. Not positive yet we will pull this trip off--my husband is self-employed, so his schedule is pretty crazy--so I'll hold off for now on the countdown clock. Crossing my fingers, though...we're all ready for a little Polynesian relaxation.

Julia

--------------
Profile PM
Juliah Offline
Julia Hatfield

Disney EchoEar

Posted: Oct. 25, 2004, 12:14 am Quote

Steve,

We just got back from our trip, and I wanted to let you know what I found out. I was told by a CM at the front desk that all accessible rooms at the Polynesian are in Rapa Nui, first floor, on the side that faces Tahiti. She said rooms numbered in the teens have tubs; those in the 20's have roll-in showers. I noticed that all doors on that side of the hall have peepholes at two heights, so that would seem to lend credence to the info I was given.

BTW, I was able to get a room with a roll-in shower after all by calling reservations a couple of weeks before our trip. Guess they had a cancellation.

--------------
Profile PM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

Posted: Oct. 25, 2004, 9:07 am Quote

Thanks for the info. I knew some of the rooms on that side were that way but I did not know all were. I guess it makes sense since it is right next to the other parking lot. THanks for the info. I know they use to have some rooms in Tokelau but I believe they were designed out in the 90's.

Thanks again. How was the trip?

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Profile PM WEB
Juliah Offline
Julia Hatfield

Disney EchoEar

Posted: Oct. 26, 2004, 12:02 am Quote

We had a lovely trip. Thanks for asking.

We had a few small problems. It took several attempts to get maintancence to fix a problem.  Someday we will laugh about the handheld shower that flew off the wall every time the water was on, spraying randomly in every direction. The only CM at the Polynesian who was rude to us on our last trip two years ago was rude to us again. It wasn't a big thing; as my husband said, it only stood out because everyone else there is so remarkably nice. We also didn't have very good service at 'Ohana.

None of this was big stuff, and we truly enjoyed our time at the Polynesian. It was a little sad to see things not quite as less lush post-hurricanes...guess we'll just have to go back next year and see how things have filled in!

--------------
Profile PM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

Posted: Oct. 26, 2004, 9:28 am Quote

Last trip we had dinner with a few Disney staff and one of them was in charge of maintaining the Polynesian and GF and he was telling me how Disney outsourcers all the repairs to offsite business so they don’t have to pay benefits and keep people on property like they use to. The problem with this is things do not get fixed right away and sometimes the next day.

Did you eat dinner or breakfast at’Ohana? The reason I ask is we had bad service for breakfast 2 years ago. Dinner we have always had good service but sometimes with all that is going on they can get a little distracted.

Thanks for the report. Hopefully the plants will grow back fast.

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Oct. 26, 2004, 6:30 pm Quote

Quote (Juliah @ Oct. 25, 2004 23:02 am/pm)
The only CM at the Polynesian who was rude to us on our last trip two years ago was rude to us again.

Do you have a picture, or at least a description? I'd like to be on the watch for that CM myself!
:eyebrow:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
10 replies since Sep. 18, 2004, 12:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Wheelchair access at the Polynesian
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement