Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] No Pages Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Tips or gifts to the concierge staff. Should we?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

modEARator emEARitus: Polynesian Resort/Yacht & Beach forums

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: Nov. 04, 2004, 3:13 pm Quote

For those of you who think leaving a tip for concierge is a good idea you might want to read what the concierge policy is. I don’t want to sound like they don’t deserve a tip, gift, etc because they have made my vacations some of the best vacations I have ever had but I would not want to cause problems for them which you may be doing if you are giving them things. I would give them everything I could if I did not think it may be a problem. They have been so good to Tara and I even before they ever knew our names and way before I ever had a web page. The problem is they are always going to be gracious and polite when receiving gifts and are not going to tell you that you may be causing them to get in trouble in some cases. Here is the response from the concierge staff on how tips are handled.

“Officially we are not on a tip status and should not be receiving tips of any kind, especially cash and we should try to decline it.  We are told if a guest is insistent on tipping and giving cash and it seems we will offend them if we don't take it, we can accept it but we are to turn it in to our manager.  It then goes into a 'tip fund' that in the past, we used for parties or dinners for our entire staff to be able to attend and enjoy.  Unfortunately, company policy states we are not to have this 'tip fund' and therefore it is very difficult for us to use any money that is turned in to the fund these days.  Sometimes, cast members keep the cash that is given them thus subjecting themselves to possible termination if they are caught.  (This has happened recently at another resort.)  Also, sometimes a guest may leave something for another cast member in good faith that it will be given to the cast member but the intended cast member does not receive it.
As far as gifts go, some guests will give gifts for the entire staff to enjoy, (usually food of some kind).  While we are technically not supposed to accept these either, management usually looks the other way as they feel if a guest went through the trouble of shopping and bringing or shipping a gift, and it is for all to enjoy, that we can accept it with gratitude for their thoughtfulness and appreciation.  If a guest leaves a specific gift for a cast member and it is of value, we have to advise our managers of the gift and value and then it is up to the manager to decide if we are able to keep it or not.  According to our company policy, we are only able to accept 1 gift of value a year and it cannot be over a particular amount.  (If they say we can't keep it, I don't know where it would go or what would happen to it.)  In the past when I received a gift of value, it was approved for me to have it and I had to receive a release paper from my manager to take it home.  
We work as a team and while it may seem to someone that one concierge person is doing all the work, it is usually more than one person.  It's just the one concierge person ends up being the one that coordinates all the requests and bookings, makes sure it is completed and replies back to the guest.  It's great when we are recognized as individuals as sometimes the one concierge person may be the only one working on a particular guest and no one else needed to assist.  It can also be disappointing when another cast member is recognized for all the hard work one cast member or the team did together, but we also understand that maybe the guest did not see or understand that there is a team working together, not usually just one individual.  I can tell you, a concierge that works at night is not the one in the computer at 7am in the morning making all the special priority seating bookings like Cinderella's Breakfast etc.  They may place the request on the list for the am crew but unless they normally work in the IPO or are doing a turnaround shift, they will not be the one booking the request.  This is where the teamwork comes in play.
When guests state in their emails or conversations they wish to bring us something to thank us for our service and assistance, We always state that gifts are not necessary as our assistance is part of their reservation booking.  We also let them know how much we appreciate their thoughtfulness.  We have to be careful in receiving gifts as management has brought it up in the past that we are not here to do things for guests in expectation of a gift or tip and we should make sure that we do not convey to guests that tips and gifts will give them better service.  We are subject to discipline, not excluding termination, if management believes that we are giving guests extra gifts and room deliveries etc just because they gave us a tip or gift.  Room deliveries for welcome, birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions are now monitored more closely as well as more standardized to make sure all guests are getting the same type of amenity and that the amenity is appropriate to their occasion.  
Things like towel animals etc in the room are done by housekeeping and it depends on the housekeeper as to whether or not they do these things for their guests.  Not all the housekeepers have the time or skill to do the towel animals.  The housekeepers work very hard and when guests leave them a tip with their name on it, their management looks the other way as they feel if a guest appreciated the housekeeper so much as to leave them something, the housekeeper must deserve it and it also promotes moral and the housekeepers take more pride in their job. A win, win situation as some say. As you stated, it is not done because they gave gifts, it is done out of the kindness of our hearts and our wish to make their stay Magical.  
We don't do things for guests and expect a tip or gift.  Knowing we made a guest's vacation special makes us feel good and that is why we are here.  There are times when we wish could do more for our guests because we know how special their occasion is or they are repeat guests.  
Guests who stay on a Concierge level outside of WDW know that if they are big tippers, they are going to get whatever they want, especially if the tip is big enough.  This is not the case at WDW.  Concierge is a level of service they are already paying for by the higher price of our rooms and having a private building.  The food in our amenity lounge is not what they are paying for either, it is an amenity that is offered since they are staying in the building.
The Concierge staff, are paid an hourly rate to do our job, we are not on a tip status.  When we go out of our way, it is because we want to, not because we are paid more or expect or know we are going to get a big tip or gift.  The cast members that are on a tip status are the bellmen, the valet, the bartenders and the restaurant servers.  They are paid on a tip wage which is low and they work for their tips with the service they provide.  This is industry standard.”

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Polynesian Resort web pages http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
Profile PM WEB
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
Disneywacko Offline
Julie

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04, 2004, 7:22 pm Quote

Tikiman, thanks for the information.  It sounds like it is inappropriate to leave a tip for mousekeeping?  Or is it ok to leave a tip as long as it is not given to a specific mousekeeper?

It seems to me that the best way to recognize someone on the concierge staff would be to send a letter to the manager after your vacation.  The letter will probably be put into their personnel file.

--------------
Disneywacko
Profile PM
polyfan4ever Offline
Charline

Polynesian Resort forum co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Nov. 04, 2004, 9:23 pm Quote

Thanks so much for the information, appreciate it.  

:minnie:

--------------
Charline / polyfan4ever

Polynesian Resort forum co-modEARator
Magical Dreams & Wishes Travel
Profile PM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

Posted: Nov. 05, 2004, 9:32 am Quote

Julie,

It is fine to give a housekeeper a tip. As stated above the managment does not view it the same and I am sure they do not make as much as the concierge staff does but that is just assuming.

I am sure any remarks sent to managment is put in the persons file and I am sure that helps with any promotions or reviews they get.

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Profile PM WEB
goofyandme Offline
Janet

Disney EchoEar

Posted: Nov. 05, 2004, 9:42 am Quote

Thanks for all of the responses and information.

--------------
Jon and Janet / goofyandme
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Nov. 09, 2004, 12:22 pm Quote

Quote (polyfan4ever @ Nov. 04, 2004 08:56 am/pm)
Janet,
[...]
I love the idea with the "New Orleans" party, they'll love it.  Too bad Rich and Carol won't be there to add the extra spice to it as well....lol.

When is your vacation scheduled so Rich can put a countdown clock on your posts?  It's fun to watch the clock go down.

Yeah, we'd love to be at that party! :mrdis:

And if you'd like a countdown clock, just let me know when your vacation starts, Janet.
:hula2:

Tikiman, thanks so much for passing along that info about tipping! It was very informative and interesting.
:thumbsup:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
DisneyDonna Offline
Donna

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Nov. 20, 2004, 9:56 am Quote

Tikiman's info sounds pretty much like what I was told both by a resort CM and also by a transportation CM. However, that said, both CMs also told us that as long as the gift isn't of real value their supervisors do generally let them keep it. We have in the past brought seasonal items (decorated mini-pumpkins, Christmas ornaments, etc.) for the concierge staff and sent a relaxation-themed basket to the planners after the hurricanes. It contained enough items to share with the office. I agree with Tikiman and Disneywacko about a letter of recognition/appreciation. I know these are shared with the CM in question and do go in their files. We also bring little business card sized thank you's that I adapted from the CM appreciation cards on Tagrel's website. We have gotten a wonderful response to these. I think the most important thing to the CM is that you're letting them know they made a difference and that it is appreciated.

--------------

Polynesian/Polynesian concierge: 1972, 1991, 1997-2000, 2001(2x), 2002(2x), 2003, 2004(6x), 2005(6x), 2006 - 3x and counting!
Profile PM
BambiTamby Offline
The Original Lizard Lounge Queen !

Polynesian, AnimalKingdom Lodge & Concierge/Suites/LizLounge

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Nov. 20, 2004, 11:54 am Quote

Quote (DisneyDonna @ Nov. 20, 2004 09:56 am/pm)
Tikiman's info sounds pretty much like what I was told both by a resort CM and also by a transportation CM. However, that said, both CMs also told us that as long as the gift isn't of real value their supervisors do generally let them keep it. We have in the past brought seasonal items (decorated mini-pumpkins, Christmas ornaments, etc.) for the concierge staff and sent a relaxation-themed basket to the planners after the hurricanes. It contained enough items to share with the office. I agree with Tikiman and Disneywacko about a letter of recognition/appreciation. I know these are shared with the CM in question and do go in their files. We also bring little business card sized thank you's that I adapted from the CM appreciation cards on Tagrel's website. We have gotten a wonderful response to these. I think the most important thing to the CM is that you're letting them know they made a difference and that it is appreciated.

I concur with Donna!
Was  with her when she presented one of these Apprecition cards to a CM! You should've seen their face light up!

Oh, course, I STILL bring Texas candies for the CL staff and I do mail stuff to the IPO staff.
I'm just that way! :happydance:

--------------
"Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph: a beginning, a struggle and a victory."

Presenting.....The Lizard Lounge MickEmoticons!
:loungelizard: :loungelizard2: :jammielizard: :LizardPrego: :LizardBaby: :LizardCrazy: :LizardFlag: :LizardRedheadedStepchild: :LizardHula: :TikiFire: :LizardSpending: :LizardFreeBird: :LizardPirate: :LizardThumbsup: :LizardDrool:
:pie_lizard: :LizardHockey: :LizardWaterGun:
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Dec. 09, 2004, 3:18 pm Quote

For more about tipping, click here: Turn-down service & chocolate, even non-concierge: Turn-down service & chocolate, even non-concierge - Plus: Tipping for turndown/Mousekeeping
:hula2:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

Posted: Dec. 09, 2004, 5:27 pm Quote

No problem Rich,

I know we all have our own ideas about what is right and wrong and I know a lot of times the staff will smile and be appreciative for the thought but I always wondered what the truth behind it all was so I asked. Well that was the response I got.

I could tell you stories from the concierge staff that would shed light on quite a few things and certain guests but when they tell me these things they trust I will not post them for all to see but that is a little different subject.

--------------
Tikiman
Profile PM WEB
19 replies since Aug. 31, 2004, 10:03 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] No Pages Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Tips or gifts to the concierge staff. Should we?
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement