Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 3 4 [5] No Pages Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Polynesian lingo: Meaning of various words/phrases, Is "Poly" okay to use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 29, 2005, 11:17 am Quote

Quote (Tikiman @ April 29, 2005 09:21 am/pm)
I was told something different from someone who might not have had their facts totally correct and since then I have changed my opinion since I have found nothing to support that it is an issue but I can totally understand you trying to make sure no one is offended and I will back any decision you make on the issue. I do see why you decided to do it originally.

You do a very good job of making this a friendly place to discuss all things Disney.

Mahalo Rich

Steve

Okay, you know more than I do about this, so I have now removed the feature which translates "Poly" into "Polynesian" on the Disney Echo.

I have left in a feature, however, which helps to prevent 'Ohana from being spelled incorrectly (with the apostrophe in the wrong place) in messages!
:hula2:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

modEARator emEARitus: Polynesian Resort/Yacht & Beach forums

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 29, 2005, 11:39 am Quote

Good job Rich. I do get a little tired of seeing (O ' H A N A or O ' H A N A ' S)

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Polynesian Resort web pages http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
Profile PM WEB
Dale-not-Chip Offline
Dale

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: April 29, 2005, 2:10 pm Quote

Now if you could just put in other swap out's for all my other typos I make due to not proof reading my posts.

:unhappy:  :laugh:

--------------
Dale-not-Chip
[img]http://badge.facebook.com/badge....mg]

Email me

dalenotchip (at) bellsouth.net
Profile PM AOL MSN
Polyfan Offline
Mike

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: April 29, 2005, 7:01 pm Quote

Thanks for setting the record straight guys! I was starting to feel bad about my username. Thanks also for correcting the 'Ohana misspelling. I'm constantly spelling it incorrectly. Mahalo Rich and Steve!

--------------

Profile PM
Goofy's Mom Offline
Janie

Posted: Nov. 06, 2005, 1:38 pm Quote

While staying at the Polyneasian,I recieved a b/day card from Rafiki and Timon, After the Hb/day the words Asante Sana! Can anyone tell me what this means. :flag:  :flag2:

--------------
1976 Off Site - 1980 Off Site - 1988 Off Site - 2002 POR - 2003 Polynesian - 2004 Pop Century - 2005 Polynesian, French Quarters 2006
Profile PM
sadizney Offline
Sandy

Posted: Nov. 06, 2005, 2:06 pm Quote

It is Swahili for "thank you very much."

--------------
:waver:  :magic:
WDW trips: Apr.'74, 'Aug. 78, Aug. '80, Aug.'84, June '86, Oct. '86, March '87, Oct. '90,  June '92,  Aug. '92, Jan. '93, Aug. '93, Nov. '94, Aug.'95, Aug.'96, June '97, Aug.'98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July 2005, June/July 2006, Feb. '07, July '07, June '08, August '09 . November '09, August '10. July '11. June/July 2012, October 2012
DL trips: April '88, Oct. '91, June '95, Aug. '95
DCL trip: April '08
Five Parks, Four Worlds, One Dream, One Man :tinkflying:
VMK Name: Sanderella :ArielSparkle: Left to right: Barb, me and Bob

Here's wishing I was 1228.25 miles closer to "home."

"PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Profile PM
#1hockeymom Offline
Debbie: knows she has a twin named Alice

Animal Kingdom Lodge forum co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Nov. 06, 2005, 6:23 pm Quote

AKL's concierge always includes Swahili in their greetings and closings.  If you stay there, even not concierge, you'll feel like an expert in no time!

--------------
:LizardCrazy::LizardFlag:88,89,91,95 off site, Aug. 97 All Stars, Aug. 01 POFQ, Aug. 02 Paris/London, June 03 Swan CL, Nov 03 AKL, Jan 04 AKL concierge, April 04 AKL concierge, July 04 Dolphin CL/AKL two bedroom suite concierge, Oct 04 Pop, Jan 05 CBR, March 05 CSR, July 05 AKL/Dolphin CL suite,
July 06 Lizority Meet.... lounge hopped, pool hopped, saw pirates, boats, and fireworks OH MY

My other home is a two bedroom suite at AKL.  Please come and visit!

:LizardHockey2: Never under estimate the power of a hockeymom!
Profile PM WEB
sadizney Offline
Sandy

Posted: Nov. 06, 2005, 8:40 pm Quote

Quote (#1hockeymom @ Nov. 06, 2005 18:23 am/pm)
AKL's concierge always includes Swahili in their greetings and closings.  If you stay there, even not concierge, you'll feel like an expert in no time!

So I guess the trip at AKL will be educational. Hey, maybe the school system I work for can pay for the trip now.  :uhoh:

--------------
:waver:  :magic:
WDW trips: Apr.'74, 'Aug. 78, Aug. '80, Aug.'84, June '86, Oct. '86, March '87, Oct. '90,  June '92,  Aug. '92, Jan. '93, Aug. '93, Nov. '94, Aug.'95, Aug.'96, June '97, Aug.'98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July 2005, June/July 2006, Feb. '07, July '07, June '08, August '09 . November '09, August '10. July '11. June/July 2012, October 2012
DL trips: April '88, Oct. '91, June '95, Aug. '95
DCL trip: April '08
Five Parks, Four Worlds, One Dream, One Man :tinkflying:
VMK Name: Sanderella :ArielSparkle: Left to right: Barb, me and Bob

Here's wishing I was 1228.25 miles closer to "home."

"PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Dec. 03, 2005, 6:32 pm Quote

Interested in learning more words and phrases used in Hawaii? Check out Aloha 'Ōlelo or Hawaiian Word Of The Day.

Hawaii's KITV 4 News anchor Paula Akana delivers Aloha 'Ōlelo or Hawaiian Word Of The Day from 'Aha Pūnana Leo on KITV 4 News This Morning Monday through Friday as well as on this website to help people develop their understanding of the Hawaiian language and culture.
:hula2:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Dec. 03, 2005, 6:36 pm Quote

Asante Sana is from the movie "The Lion King" and was uttered by the character Rafiki, who was a shaman or holy man.
Profile PM
49 replies since Mar. 13, 2004, 1:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 3 4 [5] No Pages Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Polynesian lingo: Meaning of various words/phrases
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement