Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Polynesian lingo: Meaning of various words/phrases, Is "Poly" okay to use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
LilMarcieMouse Offline
Marcie

Disney Scrapbooking forum modEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: Mar. 16, 2004, 1:12 am Quote

Quote (Tikiman @ Mar. 15, 2004 10:29 am/pm)
By the way shortening the word Polynesian to “Poly” is derogatory to people from the islands and is why you will never see me shorten the word when writing it.

Aloha

Steve

Thanks for the Info Steve I never knew this.

--------------
Marcie / LilMarcieMouse- Happy Scrapping
Disney Scrapbooking message forum modEARator emEARitus

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
Walt Disney

Maksim Chmerkovskiy at the World Premiere of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Profile PM AOL
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
Julielizabet Offline
Julie

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22, 2004, 12:12 pm Quote

FYI, when I've used "Poly" I was referring to the resort, not people, in the same way I'd abbreviate GF. Now that I know it's upsetting to some I'll try to avoid it. As I usually am nursing the baby while typing, this means I have 1 hand and sometimes abbreviate when possible. BTW, my friend and college roommate studied in Fiji on exchange 1 year and did quite a bit of Oceanic studies. "Polynesian" as a term is apparently a colonial sort of term and not one that is very PC. I never heard her say that "Poly" was esp derogatory. She never used it or mentioned it.

--------------
Julie

Snakes don't walk, they slither. -Hiss, Robin Hood
Profile PM
Julielizabet Offline
Julie

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 22, 2004, 12:16 pm Quote

Ok, DPR is ok for an abb., but what a shame the D, the P and the R are on different ends of the keyboard when typing it. DPR it is.
:tiki:
:hula:

--------------
Julie

Snakes don't walk, they slither. -Hiss, Robin Hood
Profile PM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

modEARator emEARitus: Polynesian Resort/Yacht & Beach forums

Posted: Mar. 22, 2004, 12:18 pm Quote

The name Polynesia was given to the Pacific islands by a French explorer Charles Brosses which came from Greek words “poly” (many) and “nesos” (islands). Later Dumont d’Urville defined the Pacific region by breaking it into 3 parts. These were Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia. Polynesia actually only covers the area with in the triangle formed by  Hawaii, New Zealand (Aotearoa), Easter Island (Rapanui). Melanesia, located west of Polynesia and below the equator, includes Fiji, New Caledonia, and the Solomon Islands. Micronesia is home to Palau, the Marshall Islands and Guam which is north of Melanesia. All of these cultures are knows as Oceania.

I was going to add these to my pages but here is a preview of some words. I may add more:

ALOHA: love, affection, compassion, mercy, sympathy, pity, kindness, sentiment, grace, carity; greeting, salutation, regards; sweetheart, lover , loved one.
HONU: General name for turtle and tortoise.
KALO: Taro, a kind of aroid cultivated since ancient times for food, spreading widely from the tropics of the Old World. In Hawai'i, taro has been the staple from earliest times to the present, and here it's culture developed greatly, including more than 300 forms. All parts of the plant are eaten. its starchy root principally as poi, and its leaves as lu'au.
LO‘I: Irrigated terrace, especially for taro, but also for rice; paddy.
NALU: Wave, surf; full of waves; to form waves.
POI: Poi, the Hawaiian staff of life, made from cooked taro corms, pounded and thinned with water.
PIKO: Navel, navel string, umbilical cord. Fig., blood relatives.
PUA: Flower, blossom; to bloom.
MAOLI: Native, indigenous, genuine, true.
HALAU: Longhouse, as for canoes or hula instruction, meeting house.
MELE: Song, anthem, or chant of any kind; poem, poetry, to sing or chant.
ANUENUE: Rainbow.
AKAMAI: Smart, clever, expert; smartness skill
HALE: House, building, institution, lodhe, station, hall
HE‘E: Octopus
HE‘E NALU: To ride a surfboard; surfing, surf rider, wave sliding
HOKU: Night of the full moon, star
HOLOHOLO: To go out for pleasure
KAIMANA-HILA: Diamond Head
KANE: Male, husband, male sweetheart, man
KOA: Brave, bold, valiant, fearless
WAHINE: Woman, lady, wife, female
OHANA: Family, relative, kin group
MANA: Supernatural or divine power, miraculous power
MANA‘O: Faith, confidence, to have faith
PONO: Goodness, uprightness, morality, moral qualities
MOANA: Ocean, open sea
MAHALO: Thanks, gratitude
MAKA: Eye, eye of a needle
MANO: Shark
KEIKI: Child, offspring, descendant
KAPU: Taboo, prohibition, special privelege or exemption from ordinary taboo
KOKUA: Help, aid, assistance
MALAMA: To take care of, attend, care for
PALI: Cliff, steep hill or slope
LU‘AU: Young taro crops, Hawaiian feast
ULU: Breadfruit
NUI: Big, large, great, greatest, grand

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Polynesian Resort web pages http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Mar. 22, 2004, 12:49 pm Quote

Mahalo, Steve! :tiki:
What about "cousin" -- although it is an English word, is it really used in Hawaii or is that just stuff from "Lilo & Stitch"?

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

Posted: Mar. 22, 2004, 12:53 pm Quote

Yes cousin is more modern slang used in Hawaii but I would suggest not walking around trying to use Hawaiian slang with the locals. You will just sound like a tourist.

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Profile PM WEB
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Mar. 22, 2004, 12:58 pm Quote

...or a "Lilo & Stitch" drooling fan-boy! ;) Besides, if I ever get to Hawaii I will be very much the tourist. LOL

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Opaleye Offline
Rose

Newbie Disney EchoEar

Posted: April 13, 2005, 4:14 am Quote

It's good to see that you guys are aware of the cultures of Polynesia as well as loving the hotel.As for people from Polynesia finding the lumping of all the cultures together insulting , I know that I'm not really insulted ( I'm from Polynesia by the way) some things in the hotel annoy me , like Fiji being a longhouse when it is not really in Polynesia but Melanesia ( as mentioned above) , But I can see that that is not a well known fact and that putting Fiji in their makes sense for Disney's purpose. Some people may find the lumping of the cultures together but I think most would know that no offence in intended and that many people enjoy seeing the cultures ( even if it is mostly Hawaii on display and less of the other Islands) , but of course I can't speak for other people. At least the Polynesian Hotel is a lot better than the Tiki room ,now that is scary.
With the shortening of Polynesian  it is not used much in Polynesia  so I don't think many people worry that much about it , though I wouldn't say it  because it can cause offence , though I'm sure everyone would understand you were reffering to the resort.
Happy adventures at the Polynesian, I plan on visiting it again when I go to WDW later this year.
Have fun
P.S the whole cousin thing is in a lot of Polynesia though it is often shortned but it is popular especially with teens , I wouldn't say it though , you might get a little laughed at
See ya
Opaleye
Profile PM
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

Posted: April 13, 2005, 9:54 am Quote

Welcome to the Echo Opaleye. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the whole thing. My dad’s Grandmother grew up in Hawaii and that rubbed of on him and now on me. When I use to spend time in the islands as a kid I hung out with the local kids (most thought I was from there not because of my looks but my attitude) and I remember seeing how the locals were losing most of what was theirs. Ever since then I was interested in how all the cultures came together. I think Disney wanted to use Pacific island names for the buildings and when they renamed the buildings they got rid of the fake names (Bali Hai was only an Island in the movie South Pacific) and they tried to place the names in the same relation as the islands were of each other. I am sure there is someone who does not like it. I have even had one or two people say they don’t like my screen name (Tikiman) but that was what everyone was calling me before it was my screen name so it just stuck.

I had been told the thing about the word Polynesian being an issue but no one I talked to could confirm that so I stopped having an issue with it myself. In fact the word Polynesian is not even a word in any Pacific Island language. As I stated above it is only a Greek word so I agree it is probably no big deal and that most people will know you are referring to the Polynesian.

So when are you going to WDW and you say you are visiting the Polynesian. Does that mean you are not going to stay there?

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
Profile PM WEB
goofy4tink Offline
Diane

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: April 25, 2005, 2:09 pm Quote

I'm having a 'discussion' over on the dis boards about abbreviations. I know that there are a lot of people out there that shorten the Polynesian to the Polynesian. I had some CM's, at the Polynesian, look a tad disturbed when they overheard this abbreviation. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that it is 'bad form' to shorten Polynesian to Polynesian. That is tatamount to an insult. Does anyone here, maybe Steve or Rich, know it there is any truth to this? If it is in fact true, what is the reasoning behind it?
We loved the Polynesian and would hate to have any of the CMs there feel put-out by what someone says while at the resort. Hopefully, someone can clear this up for me. Thanks guys.

--------------
Aloha,
    Diane

DVC at BWV
'03 ASMu
'03 Polynesian
'01 POR
'99 DxL
Profile PM AOL
49 replies since Mar. 13, 2004, 1:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Polynesian lingo: Meaning of various words/phrases
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement