Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo Mouse Notes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Polynesian lingo: Meaning of various words/phrases, Is "Poly" okay to use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SeaSpray Offline
Theresa Brown

Caribbean Beach Resort forum co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 2:52 pm Quote

Quote (Tikiman @ Mar. 15, 2004 10:29 am/pm)
By the way shortening the word Polynesian to “Poly” is derogatory to people from the islands and is why you will never see me shorten the word when writing it.

Aloha

Steve

Me either, Steve!  I remember you explaining that several times over on the other boards and to this day I cannot type out "Poly" as an abbreviation for the Polynesian.  And I really can't stand it when I see other people type it, but I know that they probably don't realize that it's derogatory.

--------------
Terry / SeaSpray / CL_CapeGirl on VMK

Caribbean Beach Resort forum co-modEARator

'07 July Polynesian LVC & Tikifest 2007
'07 May Port Orleans Riverside
'06 August 19th Disney Magic & Polynesian LVC
'06 May Animal Kingdom Lodge
'05 Polynesian LVC
'05 Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC
'04 Disney Magic 10-Night Hurricane Cruise
'02 Caribbean Beach Resort
'01 Caribbean Beach Resort & Grand Floridian
'95 DisneyLand
'76, '78, '85 WDW offsite

Profile PM WEB
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
WebTink Offline
Becky

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 3:24 pm Quote

I'm wondering, though, if even lumping these diverse people groups into one category--"Polynesian"--isn't somewhat derogatory.  Anyone from the Islands care to comment?  I know we generalize a lot, ("Asians" "Europeans" "Africans" etc.), but the distinctness of each group does get lost when we do that, doesn't it?  I, for one, had never heard that referring to Disney's Polynesian Resort as "the Poly" was derogatory.  Certainly, when that word is used in this forum it is referring to the Resort and not to the people of the various Islands represented as Polynesia, and is merely for shortcut's sake.  No offense is intended, but of course that doesn't mean it isn't still offensive, it just means no one is being intentionally malicious.  It's good to be educated, but it has obviously been called "the Poly" for a long time because others on this forum adopt that term as they see it used so frequently.  Maybe we should adopt the abbreviation DPR for Disney's Polynesian Resort, and by example begin to change the norm on this forum.

--------------
Becky / WebTink
Just get on any major highway, and eventually it will dead-end in a Disney parking area large enough to have its own climate, populated by large nomadic families who have been trying to find their cars since the Carter administration.
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
Tikiman Offline
Steve Seifert

modEARator emEARitus: Polynesian Resort/Yacht & Beach forums

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 3:33 pm Quote

Good post WebTink. I agree. I removed the statement on my web pages about the use of “poly” because I knew no one was using it to upset anyone but just as a short cut. No need for anyone to feel bad about it especially if they did not know. I just thought I would mention it since we were discussing Hawaiian language ( not necessarily Polynesian language). DPR is a good idea to me but will people know what we are talking about?

Aloha

Steve

--------------
Tikiman
modEARator emEARitus of the Disney Echo's Polynesian Resort forum and Yacht & Beach Club Resort forum
Polynesian Resort web pages http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
Profile PM WEB
WebTink Offline
Becky

Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 5:01 pm Quote

Quote (Tikiman @ Mar. 15, 2004 15:33 am/pm)
DPR is a good idea to me but will people know what we are talking about?

Aloha

Steve

I suppose readers will ask if they don't understand.  Seems like everyone figures out all the abbreviations after awhile:  FW (okay, has two meanings, but context helps--if you're in the Fort Wilderness forum you use it, some use FtW; if you're talking about Epcot, Future World comes to mind), DAK, M:S, WS, CBR, Y&B Club, etc.  Do we have an FAQ post that covers all of these already?  If not, we could certainly create one.  If we do, Rich probably knows where it is, or I can look around for it.

--------------
Becky / WebTink
Just get on any major highway, and eventually it will dead-end in a Disney parking area large enough to have its own climate, populated by large nomadic families who have been trying to find their cars since the Carter administration.
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
TikiDave Offline
One Particular Harbor

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 7:26 pm Quote

Steve, mahalo for the info. I never thought about that before.

--------------
TikiDave      

Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 8:46 pm Quote

Yes, thank you, Tikiman. I'm another one that never knew that abbreviation was derogotory and I won't be using it again either.

The lyric that we can't find is for the theme song currently being used on Disney's Lilo & Stitch TV series. Lyrics are used in the opening of the show and the song without any vocals is used in the closing credits.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
abh1544 Offline
Anna

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 10:14 pm Quote

what does the D in Dpr stand for
D? Polynesian resort
i think the reason people use "poly" is b/c your title in a post can only be a certain length and if you type out poynesian it woud take up about 1/3 of the tite  :D

--------------

May 21, 2004 10:00 AM EST: Kids out of school
Profile PM AOL
abh1544 Offline
Anna

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 10:16 pm Quote

*polynesian    

I swear I know how to spell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------

Profile PM AOL
abh1544 Offline
Anna

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 10:25 pm Quote

I would really like the lilo and stich theme song i can't find the lyrics anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  lol

--------------

Profile PM AOL
WebTink Offline
Becky

Posted: Mar. 15, 2004, 11:02 pm Quote

The official name of the resort is DISNEY's Polynesian Resort, thus the D in the DPR is for Disney.

--------------
Becky / WebTink
                                                         ~Dave Barry

Profile PM WEB
49 replies since Mar. 13, 2004, 1:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Polynesian lingo: Meaning of various words/phrases
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement