Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Disney Abbreviations/Acronyms, Official/Unofficial, Online Disney Abbreviation Guide< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DisneyWidower Offline
Mark

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: May 10, 2004, 5:48 pm Quote

I've noticed a trend over the past few weeks of more and more people using abbreviations in their postings.

I'm all for it -- as long as someone lets me in on the secret code. :cry:

Lately I've been finding myself scrolling up and down through every posting in a topic where an unknown abbreviation pops up. If a combination of words that fits the abbreviation isn't in there I'm stumped.

I first noticed it when Rich returned from his family's latest trip and listed a few in his "report". But Rich does it in a way that would make any highschool english teacher proud -- he lists the words the first time he uses an expression and then puts the abbreviation in brackets.

for instance -- Darling Son (DS) Darling Wife (DW)

before that I was thinking Disney Store and Dole Whip  :D

I'm not asking everyone to follow suit -- but if someone could throw together a list of commonly used abbreviations I'd really appreciate it.

and hey -- for a litle fun why don't we make some up?

like:

YP -- yellow poncho
TP -- tired parents
OM -- outta money
WR -- whiny rugrats

or the more positive

IJFOTAANIGTWDW -- I Just Figured Out These Abbreviations And Now I'm Going To WaltDisneyWorld!

--------------

Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: May 10, 2004, 6:13 pm Quote

Yoo Hoo, Mark!

Thanks for noticing how I use the abbreviations and for the good advice for other Disney EchoEars.

This has come up before, and on the Vault: Disney Echo archives here is what I wrote about it:

There's a very nice list of common acronyms and abbreviations on Deb Will's  AllEarsNet -- click here!

I specifically try to avoid the use of these acronyms and abbreviations here on the Disney Echo, specifically to make it easier for those new to Disney message boards to understand things. I know it is convenient for those writing to use them and another reason they are done on Usenet newsgroups like rec.arts.disney.parks is to cut down on storage space and transmission time when downloading messages. But here on the Disney Echo we have plenty of space and since each message is "downloaded" as you read them separately, there isn't a real need to use them here except for the convenience factor when writing a message or replying to one.

You can read previous discussions about this topic here and here in the Vault: Disney Echo archives as well as continuing the discussion here.

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
MKBaughan Offline
Marsha

All-Star, Pop Century, Happy Birthday & Games/Role-Play mod.

Group: ModEARator
Posted: May 10, 2004, 8:34 pm Quote

YP -- yellow poncho
TP -- tired parents
OM -- outta money
WR -- whiny rugrats

or the more positive

IJFOTAANIGTWDW -- I Just Figured Out These Abbreviations And Now I'm Going To WaltDisneyWorld!

I love it!  Good ones, Mark!

--------------
ModEARator of the Disney Echo's "Happy Birthday" forum, Games & Role Playing Forum,  Virtual Disney Forum, all the forums in the Magical Gatherings & Net-Meets category, and the Value Resorts Forum
  :Piglet:  :Pluto:

Grayson sleeping in Tim's Duffle bag.  He wanted to go to WDW with us.

Miracle, the Wonder Cat!  She was in the position most of the time she was around me!  She is scary!

Trips: WDW- '74, '96,'98 (also DL),'99,'00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '07/ DL '05
Profile PM AOL MSN YIM
texassherri Offline
Sherri Ross

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: May 10, 2004, 11:13 pm Quote

HAJCIFT#TT
Hello All Just Checking In For The #th Time Today.

I think this one is appropriate for many of us addicts.  I try to not use the abbreviations unless I see them in the posts above mine and they seem obvious to me.  I've also tried to use the whole ( ) thing to explain what they are at first.  I do commonly use DS4, DD7 and DH.  Instead of "Darling", in my head, as I'm typing, I'm thinking Disney Son, 4.......

Glad to see your post, Mark.  Still awaiting some of the meanings, as I think we both posted on another thread.

TTFN
Just think Tigger.....hoping you can all get that one!

--------------
Sherri

Grand Floridian 2002
Polynesian trip April 2004
Grand Floridian April 2005
DisneyLand June 2006
Grand Floridian December 2006
Profile PM
disneyhottie0731 Offline
Kelly

Posted: May 11, 2004, 8:41 am Quote

Yes also always think that DS,DD,DW,and DH are disney...not dear.  It seems to make more sense to me, but hey thats just me.

--------------
Kelly

Please stand clear of the doors
Por favor, mantenge se, allehado de las peurtas
Profile PM AOL YIM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: May 11, 2004, 2:13 pm Quote

On the Disney Echo, it is perfectly fine to consider the D in DS, DD, DW and DH to be "Disney" :mickey:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Julielizabet Offline
Julie

Posted: May 12, 2004, 12:02 am Quote

I wondered if I was the only one who thought that DS, etc., were "Disney Son," etc.!!!

--------------
Julie

Snakes don't walk, they slither. -Hiss, Robin Hood
Profile PM
Julielizabet Offline
Julie

Posted: May 12, 2004, 12:04 am Quote

Ya know, I just used a few on my AK (Animal Kingdom) post. KRR=Kali River Rapids & CTE=Countdown to Extinction...

--------------
Julie

Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: May 12, 2004, 1:11 am Quote

DUODA... Don't Use Obscure Disney Abbreviations! :tsk:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Julielizabet Offline
Julie

Posted: May 12, 2004, 1:16 am Quote

YWWRTTTH :talktohand:
(Yeah Well Whatever Rich Talk To The Hand)

--------------
Julie

Profile PM
23 replies since May 10, 2004, 5:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Disney Abbreviations/Acronyms, Official/Unofficial
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement