Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: 1996 DisneyWorld Channel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
earnhardtfan4life Offline
Mike

Newbie Disney EchoEar

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 21, 2011, 8:34 pm Quote

There was a web site that existed back in the early 2000s entitled "The DisneyWorld Channel" under the URL:  http://www.crosswinds.net/~wdwvideo/  and it featured early realvideo files of 1996 WDW Resort TV Channels (approx. 500 kb to 800 kb) each, I am searching for those files.  I am also looking for any Disneyland Paris mp3 files that were once featured on SoundofMagic web site.  As well as any realvideo/realaudio files from the Digital-Disney web site at the URL:  www.digital-disney.com.  

Thanks,
Mike
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Nov. 21, 2011, 9:44 pm Quote

Hi, welcome to Disney Echo, I'm the wife of Site Administrator Rich Koster.

There is a non-profit fan club for those who collect Disney memorabilia, years ago when Rich and I were members of it it was called the National Fantasy Fan Club, The Club for Disneyana Enthusiasts or NFFC for short.  It underwent a name change and is now called more simply the Disneyana Fan Club.  It is not affiliated with D23, it pre-existed for several years long before D23 ever came about.  This club mostly has chapters in the US, especially in Southern California and one big one in Orlando FL but has a few in foreign countries as well.

From my experiences with the NFFC it's a class act, non-profit social club of like-minded Disney fans who collect things.  Collecting items of music and theme park related music and videos would certainly qualify, even if they are in digital form and digital files (or in some box in someone's home on a CD or DVD-R or VHS tape or an audio cassette) and not physically something that was sold at one time in a store or shop like other traditional Disney collectibles are.  It's still "a collection" and "the hobby of collecting", so this is the most logical category and group of people I can think of to match what you're looking for.  

People preserve these WDW hotel channel videos or the audios of the channels to bring home the Magic and keep the feeling of staying on-site alive even when home from vacation, so you and the website operators you described are probably very like minded in collecting the old hotel channel video and aural programming....  it's just a matter of networking around enough to find someone else in the Disney fan-collector community with an archive like what you want or a memory of those websites.

Mostly our fan site Disney Echo is "slowing down" in this age of social networking websites like Facebook and Twitter.  A few people come back to visit, but it's not like it was a few years ago. Consequently, to be honest, the likelihood of someone coming by to knowledgeably answer your questions with specifics is slim.  Anything is possible, but knowing the current state of the activity level on this site, I'd try networking with some of the ideas below while keeping a feeler out over here.

My best sense of direction for you to find some success and find a pool of like-minded people who can at least network around and further refer you to fellow collectors would be the Disneyana Fan Club.

Here's their URL :

http://disneyanafanclub.org/

There's an annual membership dues, but it's a low amount of money.  There are several chapters around the US.  On their website I believe might be a directory for how to contact various chapters.  Just contact the various chapters (the one closest to Disneyland in California is Chapter at the Park, the one in Orlando is called the World Chapter (playing on Disney "World" name), but knowledgable members are in every chapter.

They have two annual conventions and shows-and sales, both in Anaheim CA, in case you ever want to come in person and network around with others about your particular interests:  A mini-convention and Disneyana memorabilia exchange-sale in early to mid-January, and their big annual convention in July always coinciding with the July 17 anniversary of the opening of Disneyland.  Details are on their website, and are sent to members every year.

The Disneyana Fan Club is also on Facebook.

You can also write to Disney Archives at the corporate headquarters of The Walt Disney Company in Glendale CA to ask if they can help you.  And also write to D23 club to ask what they might know as well.  If what you're referring to are fan sites, though, the Archives and D23 are officially owned Disney operations, so knowing about the content of fan sites might not quite be in their expertise, but it never hurts to ask.

There is a nice man, very Disney knowledgable named Paul Anderson who for awhile used to publish a wonderful Disney fan magazine called Persistence of Vision (now defunct).  Paul's done a lot of interviews with Disney legends and knows a great deal about Disney history.  He lives, last time I knew for sure, in Salt Lake City UT.  If you can Google around, maybe you can find contact information for Paul and then ask him.

Last is the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio area of San Francisco, opened and planned by Walt Disney's surviving daughter Diane Disney Miller just a couple of years ago, still relatively new.  You can write to them and ask if they might have any details about what you are looking for, they are also findable on The Walt Disney Company website and on Facebook.  Someone who likes the Museum might happen to know of those sites or what happened to the sound files on those.  Never hurts to network around in the online Disney fan community.

Deb Wills operates AllEarsNet.com, a fan site filled with travel planning information about WDW, Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line.  I think there are ways to interact with the website, and I know Deb has a presence on Facebook both as Deb Wills and as AllEarsNet.com.  Worth a try to ask her or her community on the site itself and Facebook if they know or remember anything about the sites you're asking about.

Some other Disney fan sites you might want to network with include MousePlanet, LaughingPlace, MiceAge (particularly their WDW writer Kevin Yee) or The DIS Boards or the chat forums of the travel guidebooks about Disney parks and Cruise Line Passporter

http://www.passporter.com

I hope at least a little of this points you towards some knowledgable people who can help, Mike.  Try networking first with the Disneyana Fan Club, then branch out to any of the other suggestions that might seem promising to you.  Take what you need, leave the rest.

I also invite any Disney Echo Members who happen to stop by for a visit to get in touch with you in case they can help.  

Good luck ! :pixiedust:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Nov. 26, 2011, 10:34 am Quote

Mike?  Yoo-Hoo?  Was the above what you were looking for more or less?  Helpful?  Not?

Follow some of the suggestions I offered in my reply... These are best bets to network around with fellow Disney/Disney World fans and frequent longer-term travelers to find answers.

Since our site is slowing down, I listed for our site members who still visit here a list of suggestions to go online to find Disney theme park and travel information and general news or information.  When our members don't always take the time to look things up themselves, back when our site was more active, these suggestions were the techniques I'd use to help answer, so they work reliably for me, ought to work for you too.

Try the Orlando Sentinel's Daily Disney Blog and any chat forums on AllEarsNet.com, Passporter.com, LaughingPlace, MiceAge and MousePlanet about WDW.  As well as the Disneyana Fan Club site and it's forums and various chapters.

At this link scroll allllllll the way down to the last posting.  Last posting has suggestions for good Disney websites and fan sites to visit to conduct research into trip planning, memorabilia research, etc.

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....7;st=10

Another suggestion is Werner Weiss' "Yesterland" fan site, I think nowadays it's associated with either MousePlanet or MiceAge.  "Yesterland" commemorates Disney theme park attractions, shows, dining, anything including merchandise that used to be at Disney theme parks but got discontinued.  Including Walt Disney World.  What used to air on Disney hotels' internal cable TV channels as attractions marketing programming in the mid-1990s but doesn't exist now would certainly qualify as "Yesterland"-material.  It's worth checking it out if only to rule it out.

If, no matter how you cleverly rephrase search results in search engines, you find no results, that's in fact it's own answer.  Websites can come and go.  A lot of reasons: Sites don't get enough activity after a longer course of time that the site owner can afford anymore to keep them up.  Search engines like Google change their tech criteria in order to keep your site at no or low charge more easily findable.  Ad support on niche fan sites can dry up with fewer clicks or hits on their ads.  Disney sometimes asks a site to cease and desist.  At least the sites were up for awhile so you could enjoy their content, but unfortunately in the online Disney fan world things can and do come and go, and that's life.

The more details you can remember of the original sites and just play around with keywords in Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. the better you might be able to at least find out what happened to them, so at least you have closure about their fates and fortunes.

You also might want to try YouTube or similar video sharing sites.  "The Path to 9/11" is there, hours worth of 2007 mini-series originally aired on ABC but Disney and ABC refuse to put it out on home video.  It's in pieces on the site, a pain to sort through but you can view it.  Similar idea is the point: Maybe the content of your 1990s-era internal WDW hotels cable channels about the parks might be on YouTube.... maybe in low-quality home video camera or cell phone camera recording it, but at least you get to view it, maybe in pieces, but the parts are labeled that you can find them.  Worth a try....

Surely someone other there in online Disney fandom will recall the sites you're remembering and can at least give you an update as to what became of them, and if their content shifted to another site or how those site's original owners can be contacted to obtain audio copies of what you used to enjoy.

:thumbsup:  :pixiedust:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Nov. 26, 2011, 11:46 am Quote

Quote (earnhardtfan4life @ Nov. 21, 2011, 7:34 pm)
There was a web site that existed back in the early 2000s entitled "The DisneyWorld Channel" under the URL:  http://www.crosswinds.net/~wdwvideo/  and it featured early realvideo files of 1996 WDW Resort TV Channels (approx. 500 kb to 800 kb) each, I am searching for those files.  I am also looking for any Disneyland Paris mp3 files that were once featured on SoundofMagic web site.  As well as any realvideo/realaudio files from the Digital-Disney web site at the URL:  www.digital-disney.com.  

Thanks,
Mike

These sites you mentioned are defunct:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~wdwvideo/

www.digital-disney.com

They are basically on web-hosting sites.  It might be that the site operators stopped doing business with the web hosting site for whatever reason since the last time you checked the site itself and could verify it was still operational as you always used to know it.  No further contact information..... It might be worth a shot to find contact info for the two web hosting sites and request if they might release contact information about who used to operate these, so in turn you could contact the site admins and request video or audio copies of what you're interested in.  Worth a try, the worst you'd hear is that the web hosting sites don't release that type of information.  In which case, basically, "let it go and move on".  Sites come and go all the time, that's life.

The Sound of Magic site, however, seems still up, with active content and functional... but....

Sound of Magic website:

http://www.soundofmagic.com/

On home page far left menu use "Contact".  At the bottom of the "Contact" reply section (you have filled this out then "sent" it, right? ) is an advisory : 

"Updates are being announced solely via the Sound of magic Yahoo Group".  

Yahoo Groups are ways to establish listservs of like-minded people about any subject to internally discuss among themselves and without a website whatever their common interests are and keep a private social growp about that going on.   The webpage for that is here, notice in the upper right hand corner the click on this "Join This Group".  Would enable you to keep in touch and ask the Site owner-maintainer-fellow list mates your questions or offer suggestions.  They communicate to each other via E-mail, that is how listservs work.  Their tally count doesn't list many send outs, but the group is in fact operational. Check here :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thesoundofmagic/

Under a separate "Contact me if you know of any new versions of Disney theme park music" is this referral to an E-mail address, I assume of the Sound of Magic Site Administrator or Site Maintainer:

emperor@soundofmagic.com

In playing with keywords on Google I can't come up with Disney fan sites that solely have audio or video files of WDW attractions, music, their internal hotel room cable channels. Your Sound of Magic site doesn't easily reveal on Page One of results, for example. Deb Wills AllEarsNet.com site lists what these channels are, but no files of their content either in video or audio files.  You may have to search farther back than the first, say, five pages of results a Google search might show.  Also check with Yahoo, Bing, Ask Jeeves, and any other search engine.

Fan sites sometimes do not or cannot keep up with search engine ongoing tech or criteria changes, making searching for a site you are pretty sure is there difficult.  It's a lot of time and work operating a fan site.  It takes money to afford a web hosting site subscription or membership and tech support and the need for increasing bandwidth to hold the files.  Variables such as those can cause even well-meaning sites to go 'bye-'bye.

I went next to You Tube, typed in their search box "Walt Disney World Channels" and came up with hits including dating to 1992 and 1988.  Play around with this on You Tube to find exactly what you're looking for regarding specifically 1996 (change the search terms).

http://www.youtube.com/results.....1l14l0

The last suggestion I can offer is that what used to be known as Usenet Newsgroups can be found nowadays via Google Groups.  The relevant ones will be rec.arts.disney.parks .  I used to participate here in the early 1990s before America Online joined it and it was more limited to corporations, educational institutions and such like and it was less wild and woolly and troll-y than it evolved into later.  Still it gets a lot of people posting actively there.  Worth asking on there if anyone can help.  Be sure you set any reply E-mail address "coded" so as to thwart potential spammers to your inbox .

http://groups.google.com/group....g&hl=en
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Nov. 26, 2011, 12:24 pm Quote

There are also Usenet Newsgroups at alt.* such as

alt.disney.collecting

alt.disney.tech

alt.disney.disneyworld

Where you could ask around, too.  Again, it's troll and spammer-lurker laden, so set any reply contact information so that readers understand how to contact you but E-mail address harvesters are thwarted.

Go to Google and under "More" click that and scroll down to "Groups".  When at Groups enter in the titles of the Usenet Newsgroups I cited.  rec.arts.disney.parks has always gravitated more to WDW than Disneyland.  Join the newsgroup and post a question.  In a month, try again, and so forth.  Always people coming and going there, a chance exists someone else may remember the fan websites you mentioned and can help you.

And as mentioned, at some point lack of reply or lack of hit results is it's own reply.  Be patient but persistent and don't give up.  Try any and all suggestions offered above in my various responses.  After several months or your internal well of keeping on trying goes dry, at least you'll have given it as thorough a chance and variations of trying there can be.

To thwart trollers and E-mail address harvesters:

If your E-mail address is, for example

mike@email.com

Post this

4m4i4k4e4@4e4m4a4i4l.4.c4o4m4

And say to people "take out the numerals if you want to reply."  Or just keep checking your topic for replies.  Or insert symbols or capital letters or something where it's obvious for others to see what to take of your E-mail address and what to take out.

By the way, under Sound of Magic's homepage, far left column, is a "Guestbook" link.  The most recent additions are in October 2011.  So the site is still up and active.  The site has "Contact Us"-type ways to get in touch with the operator of it as well as a listserv where they notify via E-mail any news.  At least this is one of three sites you mentioned still operational where in theory you can talk to who operates it, "ask them your questions and get some answers" like Ariel sings in "The Little mermaid".  What happened to files they used to post....?  That's between you and the site operator to discuss.  It's his or her site, and for whatever reason if content they used to have is gone now it's their site to do with as they wish.  If the site and it's members on the listserv allow file sharing that is an internal matter between you and these individuals.  Content coming and going as per an owner-operator's wishes.... that is an ongoing variable thing, too.  Sometimes if the answer is adverse to what you remember or had a chance to get years ago but it changes, either diplomacy works, money works, or accepting that which you cannot change works.

Again, good luck with this.  And that's all I can think of to direct you, I'm out of any other ideas to offer.  Take good care.   :pixiedust:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Nov. 26, 2011, 2:34 pm Quote

Speaking of niche-Disney fan websites, there used to be one that was superb about anything having to do with the 1950s episodes of "Davy Crockett" that "Wonderful World of Disney" aired which started the "coon skin cap" craze among children of the era.  It listed photos of various Davy Crockett memorabilia, song clips, complete lyrics (huge number of verses) of "Davy, Davy Crockett! King of the Wild Frontier" song, and more.  As of today the Saturday after Thanksgiving Day 2011 being clever about Google searches and playing with keywords I can't find the same site at all any more.  Gone now.  Sites come and go.  It's possible to remember their content fondly, but when the site managers take them down and there is no cache of the site, it's just gone for good.   :musicsad:  :coonskin:
Profile PM
5 replies since Nov. 21, 2011, 8:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: 1996 DisneyWorld Channel
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement