Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Art dept in Imagineering?, contact< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jeremy oneail Offline
Jeremy

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 14, 2011, 2:59 pm Quote

Ok, ive gone to the job boards. I've gotten the books, I've searched online, but I find very little info about the painting and expecially the sculpture dept at Imagineering. I can see articles about them working.... I can see them mid project... But thats about it. I assume that there arent to many in the dept, but I would love to chat with one. get hints and pointers and such.

I like sculpting the characters. Ill start posting pics in the art section soon.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Feb. 15, 2011, 8:48 am Quote

This is a link to the overall job openings at The Walt Disney Company.  Under "Job Category" is a menu item "Creative" which might utilize a make up artist-painter-sculptor skill set or education background.  At the very bottom of the page is a white box "FAQs" for "Frequently Asked Questions" about job openings or seeking jobs with The Walt Disney Company.  Explore around at the link.

https://disney.recruitmax.com/main/careerportal/default.cfm

Here's a link to Disney Animation Studios:

https://careers.disneyanimation.com/

And related Frequently Asked Questions:

http://www.disneyanimation.com/careers/faqs_career.html

In the professional show business community in Southern California are many professional organizations-unions called "guilds".  There are some for professional hair and professional make up for motion picture and television production.  Members of these guilds vote themselves special honors just before Academy Award Oscar time every January-February and if they are also members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) which is the organization which awards the Oscars they can vote for Best Hair and Best Make Up Oscars.  Similarly in television production these same guild members if they are members of the Emmy Awards organization vote on Best Hair and Best Make Up for Daytime and Prime Time Emmy Awards.  Same would go for other categories such as set designers.

There is a major annual graphic arts show called SIGGRAPH which has a convention in the US around every August or so.  People from the motion picture, TV, computer graphics, and university areas come to meet up, speak, do seminars.  And they have an active job openings publicity part to this organization.  Joining up and attending will perhaps expose you to networking with professionals in the field and job openings advertised to members-only.  Google SIGGRAPH and just go from there.

A good way to locate general jobs in the entertainment industry is to join one of these hair or make up or crative categories guilds out there, pay their member dues.  Members can enjoy a benefit of hearing about job openings.  Attend their professional meetings.  Professionally network.  As you meet people "in the business" you learn how that industry is set up from an insider's point of view.  You'll learn what trade publications to subscribe to and trade organizations to join which might have job listings or job listings websites.

No one on our site tends to respond much to it, which is why this year I discontinued, but I used to follow pretty much every category associated with Oscars which awarded some sort of guild award for the year's "Best Of" movies if a Disney film was nominated.  If you go to the Disney Live Action and Animated Films Forum and search into the past around December-February in prior years, within Topics generally titled about Disney winning annual major entertainment awards I posted links to some of these guilds.  At the links will generally be contact information for each guild.  I don't know what their criteria for membership are or how much their dues are, but simply ask.  That's your "in" to networking within the general entertainment industry which might someday lead to your working for one of the major studios or Disney.

Disney Imagineering probably has more to do with architectural design and marketing.  Within the field of architecture can come those who create conceptual mock-ups of proposed buildings and interiors and those persons might need a combination of art as well as understanding the field of commercial architecture.

Another place within The Walt Disney Company to possibly use an art background is in Disney Consumer Products.  They have a huge building in Glendale CA down the street from Disney Imagineering.  Consumer Products can mean designing a new version of a Mickey Mouse plush toy, game packaging, a T-shirt, themed-logoed merchandising for the next Disney or Pixar live action or animated movie, Disney Channel merchandising, etc.  You can Google Disney Consumer Products and find out more.

A few art and design schools that Disney tends to recruit graduates of include Rhode Island School of Design, Ringling School of Art and Design in Florida, Arts Institute of Chicago, and most famous Cal Arts (California Institute of the Arts).  Explore those websites and perhaps some job openings or career paths of graduates can inspire you in your quest.

Good luck.   :pixiedust:  I don't know if there are specific "art departments" within Imagineering, it might be they have a more integrated multi-disciplinary team approach to design rather than segmented and separately working departments.  

We're mainly a Disney fan site in general, do not have particular "ins" with Imagineering or Animation.  But people do post over the years aspiring to an Imagineering career, and since I've been online as a Disney fan since 1991 or so the above seems to be one way to develop some professional contacts.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Feb. 15, 2011, 9:31 am Quote

This seems to be a fan site about Walt Disney Imagineering now moved to WordPress to be a blog with links.  Exploring it might reveal some answers and a direction to pursue in your quest.

http://imagineeringorg.wordpress.com/

There is a "How to become an Imagineer" link at the link in their horizontal menu bar:

http://imagineeringorg.wordpress.com/how-to-become-an-imagineer/

And this is a link to their Walt Disney Imagineering Frequently Asked Questions:

http://imagineeringorg.wordpress.com/wdi-faq/

:pixiedust:  :thumbsup:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Feb. 15, 2011, 9:58 am Quote

I also provided some advice about five years ago to you, here:

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....+oneail
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Feb. 15, 2011, 10:26 am Quote

If you're on Facebook you can "like" this site of Imagineering and at least hear from them even if they might not post job listings or how to be hired by us tips:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Imagineering-Disney/410687656424?v=wall
Profile PM
jeremy oneail Offline
Jeremy

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: Feb. 15, 2011, 12:19 pm Quote

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the info! I'll surf around it as time allows :)

Once again, thank you very very much :)
Profile PM
5 replies since Feb. 14, 2011, 2:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Art dept in Imagineering?
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement