Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Question: POLL: Recharging Smartphones/Electronics at Disney :: Total Votes:8
Mouseke-Poll choices Votes Statistics
Oops! I always forget to bring recharging equipment w/me, HELP! 1  [12.50%]
I bring a charging cord, look for wall plugs everywhere, hang out 0  [0.00%]
I bring extra batteries 0  [0.00%]
I bring a battery extender that has long term charge in it 1  [12.50%]
I leave phone or device at theme park camera store, CM's recharge it 0  [0.00%]
I minimize use of phone or device as much as possible 0  [0.00%]
I set phone or device to lower power use settings to extend it's battery 0  [0.00%]
Put the phone or device down, spend time w/your family & travel mates! 2  [25.00%]
Power charging stations at parks/Downtown Disneys at DL & WDW: YES! 0  [0.00%]
Some or all of the above, or any other answer, any other ideas you have 4  [50.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: POLL: Recharging Smartphones/Electronics at Disney< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: April 20, 2010, 7:13 am Quote

Read this article, and take a look at comments at the link, then feel free to vote in the Poll and discuss and offer your experiences and solutions.

Quoting "Mom and the Mouse" from the Daily Disney blog at the OrlandoSentinel.com.  Read reader comments at the link, too.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog....e-parks

How do you keep smartphones charged at Disney theme parks?
A MOM AND THE MOUSE, FEATURED, KRISTIN FORD — BY KRISTIN FORD ON APRIL 19, 2010 AT 11:13 AM

The Mobile Magic app gives Disney guests real-time updates inside the parks. (Walt Disney World photo)
On a recent family vacation, I found myself looking for electrical outlets to recharge my iPhone whenever we stopped at restaurants. The experience made me wonder if Walt Disney World has plans to accommodate the growing number of people who carry — and rely on — smartphones.

Currently, there are no charging stations in the Disney parks. I have seen a few desperate folks parked by random plugs, but Disney doesn’t condone that and some cast members will ask guests to remove their electronics.

With other portable devices, such as cameras, guests can purchase extra batteries, or even disposable versions, if needed in the theme parks. Not so with smartphones — plugging into an outlet is the only viable option at Disney World if all power is gone. (Reusable batteries for smart phones are sold elsewhere and must be charged for hours before they can be used, so they are not a last-minute option.)

On the surface, the solution might seem obvious — put away the phone when you’re on vacation. But, especially at Disney World, smartphones can be valuable: Taking and uploading photos, checking wait times through various apps and playing games during long lines (or keeping your sanity by allowing your kids to play games). And let’s not forget checking email, Facebook and Twitter and texting other members of your party. All these activities drain batteries quickly and can leave guests with dead phones halfway through a long day at Disney.

Wouldn’t it be great if there were a recharging station in each park? It could be as simple as a strip of chairs with outlets, as we see in airport terminals, or as fun as a coffee bar. Yes, building and staffing the area would have a price tag, but it seems as if it would be easy to recoup the costs in fancy lattes and outlet-time fees.

Charging stations almost certainly would increase costumer satisfaction.
What would you like to see?

Until our wishes come true, guests must plan ahead — carry external batteries, recharge at their hotels and turn off certain settings and applications to make their smart phones last longer.

End of quoted article.

A lot of airports offer charging stations, very nice!  The difference between an airport charging station and one at a theme park would be at some point those using an airport charging station actually leave it because they have to board their flight.  I would think a theme park charging station might be crowded by people wanting to stay 'til their device is fully re-charged, and that sometimes all the plugs are taken, and you spend your time wandering around looking for plugs or power stations rather than enjoying the parks.

In 2008 we'd owned our first generation iPhones (2007 initial rollout models) for less than a year and we visited Disneyland at Easter.  We ran out of power and looked for wall plugs all the time.  We found some in Innoventions and Tomorrowland, and at a merchandise store in ToonTown.  Best wall plug is in an ice cream restaurant along Main Street, our table has bench seating and right there in the wall next to the tables on either side:  Wall plugs!  Eat lunch, and your iPhone joins you for lunch!  You can sit, dine, power up and also watch 3 PM parade from the spot, and order ice cream fountain desserts, too, so you have happy tummy, a seat in a real chair for the parade rather than stand or sit on curb, and can spend even more time plugging in and powering up!

Disneyland's solution is to go to that theme park's main camera-photography store and ask the Cast Members behind the counter to power up your mobile smartphone or electronic device for you.  We've never had a problem with this once we learned about it, except of course you're without your electronic buddy for a few hours.  If you use your device to take photos, then you might miss some photo opportunities while it's charging up, but at least it's charging up and it's safe and secure. It's the retail store in each theme park where you deal with PhotoPass transactions, if you have a professional photographer take your picture with a Disney character or in front of a major building or structure the photographer says you can view the photo there if you use this receipt, etc. and you can buy frames, photo albums, etc. there.  Each theme park has one of these, WDW's big four  as well as Disneyland and California Adventure.  They do this at Disneyland, I don't know if the Florida counterpart four parks do.

Rich my husband has some tips:  Set the visual display brightness level lower, that extends battery life a lot.  Wait 'til you're in Wi-Fi to send pictures to others or posting pictures to websites...just the sending eats up battery life if you're in regular network territory vs. WiFi.  Bring extra rechargeable, and fully charged, batteries or for iPhone the Mophie Juice Pack Air device is a sweet thing:  It's an entire iPhone case that is a battery pack with hours of extra life.  Recharge these things overnight or during your midday session of returning to your room for that siesta, swim, or nap.  Always bring your power cord with you to the parks, hope for the best re: exposed wall plugs you can use.  

Think ahead of time about how you will, and will not, use your smartphone or electronic device in the parks.  Even extra batteries or battery extenders such as, for the iPhone, the Mophie Juice Pack Air aren't perfect and they too will run out of power, and probably run out of power before you want them to.  What will you do?  You might have to invest for a lot of extra batteries, or more than one equivalent of the Mophie Juice Pack Air, if you are a very dedicated sun up 'til wee hours theme park trooper with a mobile hand held device or other small electronic device.  As you plan your trip, think ahead of time about your electronic devices you bring with you and how to keep their power levels going so they don't conk out on you too early.

Also, the memories are made by actually doing things and experiencing that with those you love and are fond of in your travel party.  Indeed, at some point, keep the electronics at bay and experience real life "behind the berm" !

What think you?
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 20, 2010, 1:31 pm Quote

I voted all of the above -- except for minimizing use and except for "Put the phone or device down, spend time w/your family & travel mates!"

It was Disney itself who had the song in Epcot that went "Takin' pictures is making memories!"
:camera2:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: April 20, 2010, 2:51 pm Quote

As a new smartphone owner I voted some of the above - which would translate to charging stations and wall plugs near some tables at restaurants for guests who needed them. I just don't feel comfortable handing over a device with all my personal telephone numbers, pictures, and messages to anyone no matter how responsable they may be, not to mention the inconvience of replacing it if something happened. Now as a former cast member I can tell you that the overwhelming majority are responsable individuals, and that this is merely s privacy issue. Another simple tip to save power would be to turn the thing offed while in/on an attraction. The other gests will appreciate it as well!

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
ypcat Offline
Tim

Posted: April 21, 2010, 8:36 am Quote

Quote (RichKoster @ April 20, 2010, 1:31 pm)
It was Disney itself who had the song in Epcot that went "Takin' pictures is making memories!"

...due to the fact the sponsor of the pavillion was Kodak.

--------------
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: April 21, 2010, 1:43 pm Quote

Quote (ypcat @ April 21, 2010, 7:36 am)
Quote (RichKoster @ April 20, 2010, 1:31 pm)

...due to the fact the sponsor of the pavillion was Kodak.

And back then it cost money each time we snapped a photo -- but now (alluding to another early EPCOT song) "It's fun to be free!"
:rimshot:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Liv2CdWorld Offline
Beth

ModEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 22, 2010, 11:00 am Quote

OK.  I must be missing something?  Why do you need charging stations?  Sure, I bring my iPhone to the parks and use it all day.  I charge it at night when we are sleeping.  I've never, ever had an issue where I had to "search" for a place to charge my phone/device as I always do it at night.

Did I completely miss something in the translation?
Profile PM
Traveliz Offline
Liz DeSchepper

Posted: April 22, 2010, 3:32 pm Quote

Quote (Liv2CdWorld @ April 22, 2010, 11:00 am)
OK.  I must be missing something?  Why do you need charging stations?  Sure, I bring my iPhone to the parks and use it all day.  I charge it at night when we are sleeping.  I've never, ever had an issue where I had to "search" for a place to charge my phone/device as I always do it at night.

Did I completely miss something in the translation?

I am with you - I have a Blackberry that I use pretty consistently - will play on websites if I am waiting for others, check email, check weather, call people, text and I am fine for the day as long as I charge overnight.

Liz

--------------

2007: Took my daughter to WDWCP...
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: April 22, 2010, 5:23 pm Quote

Have you been to Disneyland? There are some weak coverage areas there, especially around the original Tomorrowland buildings, where a cellphone has to work harder to get a signal and that eats up battery life faster than normal. Add in trying to upload pictures and long videos from the cellphone to the Internet in those places and then you'll need to recharge faster than normal. I think it might be due to the building materials used back then.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: May 24, 2010, 10:44 pm Quote

Most likely. We have some older buildings in Tallahassee that cause my signal to lose strength dramatically when I am in them. Of course with my old phone the signal just dropped, so I guess this is a step up.

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
kirby428 Offline
kirby

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Mar. 02, 2013, 9:26 pm Quote

It's Florida.  No mention of solar power panels on top of that straw hat on sale in Adventureland?  Yet.  The battery life extender option is small, light-weight and inexpensive.  They may not last all day, but will give enough extra power to handle the rest of the day unless you left the room with only 10%.  Oh and at such a low cost, you can pack 2 or 3 in case you left the room at 5%.

--------------
kirby428

"Fun will now commence."
Profile PM
10 replies since April 20, 2010, 7:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: POLL: Recharging Smartphones/Electronics at Disney
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement