Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (9) Jump to first page Previous Page ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] No Pages Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue: Tips & Comments, At WDW's Ft.W since 6/14/1974< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gary7n Offline
Gary Branch

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01, 2010, 7:33 pm Quote

It's slapstick humor with a lot of obvious jokes but they're delivered in such a way that they're funny anyway. The food, salad, fried chicken, barbQ ribs, ranch beans, mashed potatoes, and strawberry shortcake are all OK, not gourmet, but not bad at all. I think you'll end up shaking your head at all the corny jokes, but leaving with a smile on your face. You'll understand why this show has lasted so long and is always full come showtime.  :mickey:  :minnie:

--------------
Over 40 times and still not bored.
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
JCricket Offline
Dave Adams

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Sep. 02, 2010, 5:41 am Quote

How can someone go to THE World 31 times and not go to The Hoop once?  Well, when you do go you'll find out what you've missed.  As said by utilidor27 and gary7n, the jokes are kind of lame but presented in such a way as to be really funny.  And, the food is great, not an epicurean delight, but you go back for more, and there is plenty.
We've been to THE World, and stayed at Ft. Wilderness, 9 times and planning our 10th, and have been to see the show every time, and still love it.
Enjoy your trip AND the Hoop-De-Doo-Revue.  Let us know after you've gone.

--------------
Remembering my April 2008 Ft. Wilderness vacation.
Profile PM
pluto39 Offline
Jonathan B

Posted: Sep. 02, 2010, 12:06 pm Quote

ok ok ok, I guess i'm being a stick in the mud, I'll go in with an open mind. I did check it out on you tube today and it looks pretty funny. I'll tell you all my opinion when i'm down there. I plan on doing my normal daily trip reports from the parks. thanks again

--------------

:tinkflying:
Profile PM
granpat Offline
Thomas Wysoglad

Newbie Disney EchoEar

Posted: Sep. 02, 2010, 3:44 pm Quote

Quote (pluto39 @ Sep. 01, 2010, 1:03 pm)
DW made arraingements for the 2nd show of the night. I've been to disney 31 times since the opening of the Magic Kingdom and have avoided this show for this long. She finally stopped asking me and went ahead and purchased the tix. Just a question......is it as bad (goofy) as i've heard. (heard lots of bad press from people especially about the food). Please give me some hope :musicsad:  :musik:  :music:  :tissue_cry:

We have been to the show often & are going again in Nov with two of our young grandsons, ages 5 & 7, & other family. Let it all hang out and enjoy the interaction with the audience. I participated with a cast member at one of the shows, and when she asked me my name I blurted out Tommy-Toot-Toot,since my name is Tom.For a couple of days after the show, more than one guest at the park recognized me as Tommy-Toot-Toot.It's fun! fun! fun!  We don't go for the food;it's ok but there are plenty of other WDW restaurants for good food. :clap:  :fireworks:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Sep. 06, 2010, 9:40 am Quote

I established a Poll with the intent of creating a "battle", pitting Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue against Spirit of Aloha, the two on-site dinner shows on Walt Disney World property.  Hmmm.... since it's establishment in 2006, what is the ongoing tally of that battle poll, who wins, Hoop or Aloha?  Click to find out, and read all the entries in the Topic for site members' comments :

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....le+poll

We also have adopted one of our Existing Topics to be "the" master Frequently Asked Questions-type topic about Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness Pioneer Hall.  That Existing Topic is in the Fort Wilderness Campground Forum under the WDW Resorts Forum, due to the location of the dinner show.

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....97;st=0

To answer the original query:

To be fair to the Original Poster it is a true fact of life that not all types of entertainment or attraction offerings are to all tastes.  To have to attend these can be excrutiating.  But then after a very short time (minutes, an hour or two?) it's over, life goes on, the others in the travel party get what they want, and isn't that what travel can be about sometimes (that others in the travel party get to see or do after they want, especially after 31 trips to the same place ) ?  It might be torture to you to even think of going, but after 31 trips to WDW since it first opened maybe yielding to another member of your travel party just this once is the fair and right thing to do.

But on the flip side, every once in awhile it is also a true fact of life when you are willing to temporarily suspend objections and be fair, loving and life-giving to another member of the travel party or family and try something new, you get a big surprise and discover something new to like and embrace.  And isn't that what travel is all about, too?

So....

The two Topics with links earlier in my reply are already filled with responses about what Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is about, what it's like, comments by others, etc.  And you can use our site's Search function to find more.

Yep, if you're looking for them you'll always find online somewhere, some fan site somewhere, negative opinions of the show, the price per ticket, the food at Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue.  And that's OK, like I said not all shows or entertainments are to all tastes, and the kitchen can have an off-night sometimes.

But also do a mental tally of favorable comments vs. negative comments and be fair about it....  Most reviews of the show and food are overwhelmingly positive.

If you and family have never been to this dinner show in 31 prior visits, you'll never know if it's "good" or "bad" unless you dip a toe in that pool and test it out by actually attending.

if it sucks, you need never attend it ever again.

If you love it, however, well then......!  ;)

If you like it, but once was enough, well then at least you expanded your world and had a unique experience at WDW.

Like the song in "Pocahontas" "Colors of the Wind" you'll learn things you never knew you never knew if you research the two links above, use "Search" for more existing topics on our site, and perhaps after 31 visits let Dear Wife have a visit there for a change, and you just make yourself have an open mind, give it a try, and take it from there.  Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?  Research the two links and use "Search", and find out.....  ;)   :thumbsup:

Several years ago we took our then-young son to Star Wars Weekend in June, and it was the last such weekend of it for the year at Disney Hollywood Studios park. This was back when they offered Jedi Training Academy only at Star Wars Weekends.  

Son tried and tried to get picked to be on stage for the "training", Friday through Sunday.  Show after show.  At a point after mid-late morning the sun shifts in the sky and the audience area where the stage was shifted from being in the shade to being in the full Florida sun 'til the last show of the day in the evening.  Son tried, never got picked.  Not Friday or Saturday....  I like Star Wars in general, but it's not my total immersion fanship.  Waiting it out, show after show after show, day after day, was hard for me, in that part of me is thinking "Sheesh, we're spending every day here trying to be picked instead of finishing up SW Weekend and getting on with seeing other aspects of WDW, it's hot, blazing hot, and there's nothing else to do between shows...."

But it also came outta my mouth, to son, "Don't give up.  If it's a goal you have in mind, they do have other shows meaning there are other chances to get picked."  And even though doing this persistent determined trying for it was hard for me, I wanted son to learn that if it's a goal worth trying for you keep trying.  Failure is a way of learning, and honing techniques.  It can be hard, and tempting to just walk away from it, but I wanted son to learn.  He was a Cub Scout at the time, and in Scouting you're supposed to learn life and character formation lessons like that.

Someone at Trail's End Buffeteria at Fort Wilderness Campground (we were staying at a cabin there at the time), a Cast Member who bussed tables there, saw son was literally depressed over not getting picked.  He offered advice to make eye contact with the Jedi Master and have body language and a facial look like you had to go to the rest room NOW, but use that with raising a hand and trying to get picked.

We tried it the last Sunday of the Star Wars event, and after a couple of shows the technique worked and son finally got picked, battled Darth Vader, got a certificate, we got good video and good life time memories out of it.  We would never have the good travel story to tell and remember as a family for years to come if we'd just walked away from it and gave up that weekend, as hard and hot as it was to try and try and try to get son picked.

The point being:  If you've been to WDW enough times you've seen and done most of it but not all of it, and there are a few experiences you've never had, and it means a lot to someone else in your travel party to see or do something that is very unique or once-in-a-lifetime to do or at least try it, at some point you do need to look in your heart and see if, maybe just maybe, it's "fair" to let someone fulfill a travel desire even if it means you're either not sure or lack information that offsets what you'd ordinarily think.  

Your options are to outright refuse to go, and be alone, and let everyone else go and judge for themselves whether the dinner show is any good or not.  You'll be free to self-determine your own activities for awhile, and if you're objecting to Hoop that much, you might end up being happier.  Toodling around a Disney theme park alone can be a very fun experience.... total freedom to stop, see, do, anything you want to stop, see or do.  

Or you keep an open mind and simply try something new for a change and go ahead and go with your spouse and travel party.  You might end up enjoying it.  And like I said before, heading to a Disney park can be enjoyable, discovering new things all the time, expanding your world, having a nice time together with the family or your travel party.  Nothing wrong with that.

If you choose to go.....  Be life-giving to your wife.  Let her experiment to see if there is Pixie Dust to be found in this show.  It means a lot to her if she booked it knowing that show wasn't exactly your cup of tea.  Don't rain on her looking forward to it.  Self-talk yourself into an open mind with a lean towards a positive open mind.   :pixiedust:  :thumbsup:  :cowboy:  :coonskin:  Wonderful times and memories could be in store for you, just as it was when we tried and tried and tried to get our young son picked for Jedi Training Academy and it ended up working out great rather than us saying "Harummph!" and walking away. ;)
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Sep. 06, 2010, 12:09 pm Quote

Jonathan B's new topic was moved and merged into this existing one. :coonskin:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 14, 2011, 1:53 pm Quote

Happy anniversary to WDW's Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness Campground: "The “Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue” opened on this day June 14 in 1974, making it the ‘longest running continually performed musical production’ in history." YAHOO! HOOP-DEE-DOO!

:clapping:  :coonskin:  :cowboy:  :clapping:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: June 28, 2011, 9:49 am Quote

Updating an existing evergreen generic Topic with some news Deb Wills of AllEarsNet.com passed along via Facebook Tuesday June 28, 2011.  

If you are planning a Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue dinner show November 13, 2011 through February 11, 2012 head's up!  A short term, temporary, change is announced, then it will revert back to original schedule.

Read carefully below.

Quoting and reformatting:

Hoop-Dee-Do Musical Revue to test new show times -

Beginning November 13, 2011 through February 11, 2012, a test of new show times will take place. Shows will be adjusted to one hour earlier! New times will be 4:00pm, 6:15pm and 8:30pm. This does not effect pricing in any way.

At this time, shows will revert to the previous schedule of 5pm, 7:15pm, and 9:30pm on February 12, 2012.

End of quoted news.

It starts later in 2011, not as of the date I am posting.  Ends early in 2012.  Is not permanent (but could be if Guests like it that much after Disney's three month test period ) .  Don't be confused or misunderstand.  Disney is doing this as a "test" only.  The show times and schedules remain the same as they always have been between now and November 13, 2011 and revert to what they always have been on and after February 12, 2012.  Don't be confused or misunderstand.

There's some happiness in some of the Facebook Comments after the posting, and unhappiness too.  Unhappiness over the 4 PM show being too early to eat a big meal, even for little kids.  Happiness that with the earlier times there is time to go to the parks some more when the dinner show is over or with earlier times it's a more reasonable way for young children to attend even the latest two shows and not be too much past bedtimes.  

So head's up, about this temporary change and when it starts taking effect and ends being in effect.   All I know is what Deb Wills wrote on Facebook and now her own site of AllEarsNet.com.  

If you have further questions or concerns, your best bet and course of action is to pick up the phone and dial Disney dining reservations or Guest Services at Fort Wilderness Campground or Pioneer Hall, they'll be happy to assist you with any details or questions about this temporary test change in the show schedule Nov '11-Feb '12.
Profile PM
87 replies since June 02, 2004, 11:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) Jump to first page Previous Page ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] No Pages Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue: Tips & Comments
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement