Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Question: WDI's Best :: Total Votes:18
Mouseke-Poll choices Votes Statistics
Pirates of the Caribbean 4  [22.22%]
Haunted Mansion 3  [16.67%]
Mission: SPACE 1  [5.56%]
Spaceship Earth 4  [22.22%]
Star Tours 0  [0.00%]
The Great Movie Ride 0  [0.00%]
Soarin' Over California 2  [11.11%]
It's a Small World 1  [5.56%]
It's Tough to Be a Bug 0  [0.00%]
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 3  [16.67%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: WDI's Best, Which attraction best represents WDI?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Imagineering.org Offline
Bill Wilson

Imagineering message forum modEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 03, 2004, 9:30 pm Quote

If none of those choices suit you, tell us which is your choice!

Feel free to share your thoughts on WHY the attraction best exemplifies the magic of WDI.

:sorcerer:

--------------
Bill Wilson
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
LilMarcieMouse Offline
Marcie

Disney Scrapbooking forum modEARator emEARitus

Posted: April 03, 2004, 10:43 pm Quote

Most people who know me will tell you I am totally Pirate Crazy, and That is true but I do have very fond memories of riding it in 1977 with my Father when he took us to WDW for the first time. I love The look of the ride and the song.  :depp:  :pirate:

--------------
Marcie / LilMarcieMouse- Happy Scrapping
Disney Scrapbooking message forum modEARator emEARitus

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
Walt Disney

Maksim Chmerkovskiy at the World Premiere of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Profile PM AOL
Imagineering.org Offline
Bill Wilson

Posted: April 04, 2004, 11:14 am Quote

I too think PotC is an outstanding example of WDI's work. Even though it is one of the oldest attractions I can think of, people still line up to ride it. No thrills (well, the waterfalls are cool, but hardly roller coaster-like), no megabucks special effects, just a great story and lots for the eye to see.

I only wish WDW's PotC was as well done as Disneyland's. Gotta love LaFitte's Landing and the Blue Bayou Restaurant, the fireflies. WDW gets a bunch of caves. It's just not the same, nor, I say, is it up to the standards of Disneyland's show.

:sorcerer:

--------------
Bill Wilson
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 04, 2004, 12:26 pm Quote

I wish somehow that WDW's queue area through the fort could be combined with Disneyland's preshow and entire ride to create one humongous PotC attraction!
:pirate:

My vote, though, goes to Tower of Terror (at D-MGM) because of over-the-top theming, great storyline, thrills (but not too thrilling that the family can't go on it all together, minus those of a small height), the new technology that went into the attraction's design, and -- dare I say it -- one of the best-stocked gift shops at the end of the attraction, with tons of ToT-specific merchandise to choose from or at least enjoy looking at. Oh, there's even a restroom right near the attraction!
:thumbsup:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
Rufus Offline
Bruce

modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: April 05, 2004, 12:41 am Quote

I cast my vote for Spaceship Earth. Today it may seem a bit tired, and it may not have the repeat value of Pirates, but it has a number of features that I think qualify it as the attraction from the list that best exemplifes Imagineering at it's best.

1. Unique structure - The geosphere is still the only one of its kind on earth, has served it's function well without major structural repairs or even a paint job (except for the legs). While not the most efficient structure perhaps, its double duty as attraction and park icon put it in a class with Disney's castles.

2. Omnimover - The Omnimover system was developed by Imagineering to provide a semi-private attraction experience to vast numbers of guests simultaneously. With continuous load/unload, the capacity is on a par with auditorium shows, but with the intimacy found only when riding with a small number of friends or family.

3. Animatronics - I've never bothered to count, but if this attraction doesn't have the largest number of human Animatronic figures, it's surely close. While limited to "Mark II" figures by the date of it's design, they effectively convey the story without *becomming* the story.

4. Multimedia - In addition to the Animatronics, the show includes slides, film, television, "Pepper's Ghost," fiberoptics, lasers, mist projectors, scent, and the impressive planetarium projector at the top of the geosphere. It's quite the tour de force of technologies, each used appropriately.

5. Story - As Disney once said when asked how to design a show, "First, you start with a good story." History is always going to be a difficult story to write, and the future even more so -- especially as it has the tendency to catch up with you. The storyline of SSE has endured 25 years without major change, which is hard enough for history, much lest futurism.

6. Change - Shows do occasionally need to change, especially those addressing current and future events. While we all have our favorite of the three major editions of this show, the fact that it was so easily enhanced and updated shows the Imagineers had that possibility in mind during design. Most shows get ripped out and replaced rather than updated, but SSE is clearly of the same high caliber today as it had when it debuted.

7. Family Friendly - Especially in an eara that's seeing more and more attractions aimed at smaller segments of the audience, thrill rides especially, it's nice to see an attraction that's suitable for all members of the family: young and old, healthy and frail, walking or wheelchair. Walt wanted a place where the family could have fun together, and no attraction worthy of this award could fail to include everyone.

8. Popularity - Imagineers must strike some chord with their audience, and the long lines that form each morning beneath the silver sphere demonstrate that this show still has what it takes to reach and even move its audiences. Not every show has that ability, as recent replacements in Future World and Tomorrowlands demonstrate.

Spaceship Earth may not be the newest flashy, high-speed, attendance drawing high-tech marvel from Imagineering. It is exactly as planned, a signature attraction, a park icon (which really doesn't need that silly wand), and a touchstone for generations of Park guests that all can enjoy.

--------------
Rufus
Co-host of "Iago & Zazu's Attraction of the Week"
http://aotw.figzu.com/
Profile PM WEB YIM
Ilovdisney Offline
Cheryl

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: April 05, 2004, 10:27 am Quote

I have to vote for Spaceship Earth. Simply because it's teaching everyone something and kids don't even know they are learning.It's stuff they don't hear about in school and I think that's great.It shows how every culture shares in something,well two things.How we communicate with others and that we all do live on one earth.How kids that live in different places share a love for one thing and can be friends.IMHO this is a great message that needs to be spreed. :clapping: It also shows how different cultures helped make this world,how they kinda pulled together to put it "back" together after the dark ages.Will we ever help each other again? I hope so.

--------------

It's been a long time getting from here to there. It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.
Profile PM
DaveykinsFoxFire Offline
David Foxfire

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: April 05, 2004, 5:18 pm Quote

I'd vouch for Marcie being POTC nuts :)  Not that It's a bad thing, I assure you.

Since I haven't been in the parks in recent years (being in the Midwest sucks at times; why didn't they make a Disneyland: Marcilene is beyond me.) I'll mark 'Present' for this vote, although I'm currently making more of my own Disney Magic :johnny:

Something tells me that I've just shown Mr. Imagineering.org who belongs to this bi-colored eared mutant mousie :johnny: and why do I have this omninous feeling?  :glare:

--------------

David "David FoxFire" Gonterman of FoxFire Studios
http://foxfirestudios.net

Check out Johnny Briz, both here and there; my answer to Mickey Mouse!

Profile PM WEB ICQ AOL YIM
LilMarcieMouse Offline
Marcie

Disney Scrapbooking forum modEARator emEARitus

Posted: April 06, 2004, 11:02 am Quote

Quote (DaveykinsFoxFire @ April 05, 2004 17:18 am/pm)
I'd vouch for Marcie being POTC nuts :)  Not that It's a bad thing, I assure you.

Since I haven't been in the parks in recent years (being in the Midwest sucks at times; why didn't they make a Disneyland: Marcilene is beyond me.) I'll mark 'Present' for this vote, although I'm currently making more of my own Disney Magic :johnny:

Something tells me that I've just shown Mr. Imagineering.org who belongs to this bi-colored eared mutant mousie :johnny: and why do I have this omninous feeling?  :glare:

You just know me too well, don't you? :cool:

--------------
Marcie / LilMarcieMouse- Happy Scrapping
Disney Scrapbooking message forum modEARator emEARitus

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
Walt Disney

Maksim Chmerkovskiy at the World Premiere of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Profile PM AOL
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: April 06, 2004, 12:27 pm Quote

Since you don't have my favorite attraction (The American Adventure - which has the only "walking" audio animatronic figure) - I chose Spaceship Earth for one simple reason: The genius and forsight to create an attraction that not only was all that Rufus mentioned but also would be, due to it's design -tamperproof. Due to the way the attraction was designed, any attempt to change it to a  "thrill ride" would endager it's structural integrity - so we can always count on their being an original EPCOT attraction.  :)

Gives me something to take comfort in when I start to miss World of Motion or Horizons.

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: April 06, 2004, 10:09 pm Quote

Quote (utilidor27 @ April 06, 2004 11:27 am/pm)
Since you don't have my favorite attraction (The American Adventure - which has the only "walking" audio animatronic figure)

Ah, the only walking AA at WDW -- but no longer the only walking AA in all of Disney: Lucky the Dinosaur (see the thread about him on the Vault: Disney Echo archives) is an even more impressive walking Audio Animatronic than Ben Franklin is.

True, Lucky, is a lot newer and he's "pulling" that cart which helps give him stability (as well as a power source) and he's not a human AA like Ben is, but Lucky is still very impressive.
:thumbsup:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
24 replies since April 03, 2004, 9:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: WDI's Best
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement