Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (4) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 4 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MKBaughan Offline
Marsha

All-Star, Pop Century, Happy Birthday & Games/Role-Play mod.

Group: ModEARator
Posted: April 08, 2007, 3:18 pm Quote

I agree, Sandra, there sexual preference doesn't mean they should have special rules made for them....that's not what being equal is about...

--------------
ModEARator of the Disney Echo's "Happy Birthday" forum, Games & Role Playing Forum,  Virtual Disney Forum, all the forums in the Magical Gatherings & Net-Meets category, and the Value Resorts Forum
  :Piglet:  :Pluto:

Grayson sleeping in Tim's Duffle bag.  He wanted to go to WDW with us.

Miracle, the Wonder Cat!  She was in the position most of the time she was around me!  She is scary!

Trips: WDW- '74, '96,'98 (also DL),'99,'00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '07/ DL '05
Profile PM AOL MSN YIM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
Lollipop Mom Offline
Lori

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: April 09, 2007, 1:38 am Quote

Wow.  I guess I have the "oddball" opinion here.  I have no problem with them opening the wedding pavillion and other venues up to commitment ceremonies between gay or lesbian couples.  I don't see it as making special rules for them, I see it as no long needing seperate special rules.  They aren't issuing a marriage license and the ceremony is not something that is legally binding.  If it is "special rules,"  that is only because right now they are not allowed to have the same rules for marriage as heterosexual couples.  Now that there are states like MA that do allow gay marriage, if those individuals could produce a marriage license, they should have been elligible for a vow renewal ceremony anyway, which goes through the same FairyTale Weddings office.

I'm not concerned about anything being "in your face" because these ceremonies are not going to take place in the parks in front of you.  They will be held as they always have outside of park hours.  Magic Kingdom ceremonies are held after park closing.  Epcot hosts ceremonies in World Showcase before that section of the park opens at 11 am.  No one, gay or straight, will be getting married in front of the castle while you are walking by on your way to Dumbo.  They may have weddings or receptions going on during the day in the resort areas where you may see the wedding party out and about but that is no different than what they had been doing before.  Same sex couples could always rent a suite or ballroom or whatever in the resorts to have their ceremonies.  I guess places like Sunset Point at the Poly or the Gazebo at the Boardwalk are out in the open but they are also easy enough to keep your family away from if you see a ceremony setting up and you feel that you don't want to be around it.  We were at the Magic Kingdom during Gay Days in 2004 and didn't find it to be a big deal.  It wasn't an issue for us or our kids (then 3 and 4).  I respect the fact that there are people who would prefer not to have their kids around that situation and that is their decision.  As parents we all try to do what we feel is best for our kids.  My husband and I felt like our kids will come into contact with gay or lesbian people in their lifetime and we would handle the situation as we do with anything else, answer any questions honestly and giving as much info as the kids ask for and we feel they can handle.  To be honest, I had a harder time answering the questions about how their baby brother got into mom's tummy than I did about anything they saw at the MK that day!  ;)

For me it's not a big deal at all.  I'm as likely to give a big smile and offer congrats to a couple I see wearing bride and groom ears as one wearing bride and bride or groom and groom ears (though I've never seen any of the latter in the parks...but I'd still say congrats if I did).  That's just my opinion though. When GA had on the ballot the issue of changing the state constitution to word marriage being between a man and woman only, I voted against that.  The constitution, state or national, shouldn't be used to limit rights, IMHO.  I respect that everyone may not agree with me but wanted to add my opinion to the discussion.  :)

--------------
Lori
Most recent trips:
Christmas 03:  Off-site
April 04: Wilderness Lodge
October 04:  Polynesian
Christmas 04:  Ft. Wilderness Campground
December 05:  Grand Floridian / AKL  Concierge
May 06:  Boardwalk Inn Concierge
January 07:  Grand Floridian Lodge Concierge - Introducing baby Aidan to WDW!  (and checking out the new Pirate and Princess Party!)

MagicalMemoriesTravel.com
Profile PM WEB AOL
TINY Offline
Eileen

Posted: April 09, 2007, 1:09 pm Quote

Well said Lori.  I have no problem with this.  I have gay friends and my kids have been raised tolerant and to respect others, even if they don't understand or "approve" of their lifestyles.  It's 2007, there are a lot of nontraditional relationships out there.  I know that this is a really heated subject, and I was going to stay out of it, but I couldn't.  My kids want to get married in WDW, if they were gay or lesbian I would want them to have their dream.

--------------

Dixi Landings 1994
Polynesian 1997
Polynesian 1998
Polynesian1999
Polynesian2001
Polynesian2002
Polynesian 2003
Polynesian 2004
Polynesian 2006
Polynesian 2007
Polynesian 2009
Profile PM
CarolG Offline
Carol Gatto

"Happy Birthday" forum co-modEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 09, 2007, 1:57 pm Quote

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together."
-- Walt Disney

What's happening now, doesn't sound like Walt wanted. The Disney Parks are turning political rather than staying Magical and a wonderful place to go as Walt's intention.  :tear:

--------------
Carol Gatto, "Happy Birthday" forum co-modEARator emEARitus

TRIPS:  WDW Nov '06, DCL Nov '06, DCL Dec '09
Hosting Disney Cruise Party Nov 14 2009
Profile PM
Lollipop Mom Offline
Lori

Posted: April 09, 2007, 5:21 pm Quote

I guess it's a different way of looking at things or just a difference of opinion but I sort of see this as staying out of political fray.  It's saying "anyone who can give us $8,000+ and wants to have a ceremony of some sort celebrating their relationship is welcome to do so."  I see it as staying out of political fray in that they aren't turning anyone away.  It would be different if they were issuing some sort of marriage license but they aren't.  It would be different if the ceremony were being held in a church (while I have no problem with gay marriage I do respect that churches should have the right to refuse a religious ceremony if they do not feel it is appropriate be it because of previous divorce, sexual preference of the couple or any other reason, the couple could always find another church open to performing the ceremony or have a civil ceremony) but even the wedding pavillion is not an official place of worship.  

There is no way to know what Walt would have wanted.  I agree that he probably didn't even consider the possibility of having weddings of any sort on Disney property.  1950s Walt may have had a different opinion than 2007 Walt, were he still around.  Times have changed a lot an who is to say what Walt would have felt with regards to that change.  I'd like to think that he wanted the parks to be a "happy place" for families of all types to celebrate...traditional families, single parent families, blended families and yes, even families with 2 Moms or 2 Dads.  At the core, they are all the same...a group of people who love each other unconditionally even though they occasionally make each other crazy.  ;)

Like I said before....just a different way of looking at it.  I do respect that others don't agree with me.  It's my opinion and it's fine to take it or leave it.  I don't mean any disrespect by disagreeing, just wanted the flip side expressed as well.  :)

--------------
Lori
Most recent trips:
Christmas 03:  Off-site
April 04: Wilderness Lodge
October 04:  Polynesian
Christmas 04:  Ft. Wilderness Campground
December 05:  Grand Floridian / AKL  Concierge
May 06:  Boardwalk Inn Concierge
January 07:  Grand Floridian Lodge Concierge - Introducing baby Aidan to WDW!  (and checking out the new Pirate and Princess Party!)

MagicalMemoriesTravel.com
Profile PM WEB AOL
f86sabjf Offline
Jeff Rector

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: April 09, 2007, 6:03 pm Quote

Yeah Lori :bowdown:

All though i go to church . I'm getting a little put out buy the religious right throwing there wieght around acting like theres is the only opinion that counts and not any of the other billions of people that live on this big blue marble mean anything. The marriage argument is based on religious bias. What if your not religious ?? can you not get married ? i dont think so. So who cares. If we didn't force them to make it a big deal it wouldn't be.

Seeyaaa
  Jeff

--------------
:tinkflying:
 Only 65miles from my laughing place

:MagicKingdom: :monorail3:      
Profile PM
polyfan42 Offline
Luann

Posted: April 10, 2007, 8:49 am Quote

I wouldn't go as far as offering congrats to a newly "married" gay couple, but God tells us to love everyone, not just those we approve of.

--------------

Polynesian 1973, 74, 75, 77, 79, 80, 81, 03, 05, 07, 08
Offsite 1974, 78
Missing my Dad since he went to be with the Lord on 1-4-07.

My Folk Art Online Store http://www.geocities.com/rwhii/smith-reason/
Profile PM
mamaloya Offline
Sandra Loya

Posted: April 10, 2007, 1:52 pm Quote

Luann, I totally agree with you.  I love everyone, even if I don't agree with them.

As for marriage being religious, it is biological.  The reason 2 people need to get together is to procreate.  (I am not saying that married people can only do it if they are planning on procreating, but that is the purpose of "it".)  Homosexual relationships have no biological reason.  It is strictly a pleasure, be it physical or emotional, relationship.  I am a christian, but also a scientist and look at everything through my beaker so to speak.

That said, I have known may gays and lesbians.  All but one were among the most wonderful people I have met.  They would have done anything for me and more dependable than most other friends I had.  (That one was a very evil person, but that is not because he was gay, he was just an evil person.) They are not bad people and I would never base my opinion on someone on that.  I do believe that they are sinners, so am I, and everyone else.  I have committed more sin than some and less than others.  Praise the Lord for forgiveness.

My only problem is making an exception for them.  Grant it, they can't get a marriage license, but until that changes, that is the way it is.  If they were to get married in a state where it is legal and then go for a vow renewal with a valid license, then I would have no prob with that.  It is the exception that I disagree with.

--------------
Sandra / mamaloya
6 disney kids, dd21, ds18, dd13, ds9, dd8, and dd6
1 Disney granddaughter 6/19/2008

'77 First trip to WDW
'82, '85, '88, '89, '97, '98, 2000 off site
2004 Ft. Wilderness in a tent
2006 Ft. Wilderness in new popup
2006 First trip for MVMCP at Ft. Wilderness
2008 Ft. Wilderness in new TT

2010 Ft. Wilderness in a tent again
Profile PM WEB AOL YIM
CarolG Offline
Carol Gatto

"Happy Birthday" forum co-modEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: April 10, 2007, 2:17 pm Quote

Jeff,

:no: We're not trying to throw our weight around with our religious beliefs - we're stating our opinions and feelings like everyone else. It doesn't appear that anyone is against gay people just the exception to the rule. Then we continue to explain why . . .

--------------
Carol Gatto, "Happy Birthday" forum co-modEARator emEARitus

TRIPS:  WDW Nov '06, DCL Nov '06, DCL Dec '09
Hosting Disney Cruise Party Nov 14 2009
Profile PM
f86sabjf Offline
Jeff Rector

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: April 10, 2007, 4:57 pm Quote

HI Carol

Maybe i came across the wrong way. I just feel that there wouldn't have to be an exception if people would allow it. Like it or not religion is a problem in this matter (IE) no gay marriages. Who cares if there married??? The divorce rate is over 60% in this country. Maybe they'll have better luck ,if not they can join in the fun of divorce that most people are having to suffer through. I personally feel if your lucky enough to find someone in this world that you can love and enjoy life with male or female you are a lucky person.
  Again i didn't mean to attack anyone just trying to state my opinion as well for coversations sake we could beat this horse for years and never agree :laugh: .

Seeyaaa
  Jeff

--------------
:tinkflying:
 Only 65miles from my laughing place

:MagicKingdom: :monorail3:      
Profile PM
36 replies since April 06, 2007, 3:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 4 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement