Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Imagineering FAQ: How to become an Imagineer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
d_dreamer Offline
Mary

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04, 2004, 7:28 pm Quote

Does anyone know ahow much imagineers get paid?

--------------
WARING: FURTURE IMAGINEER AT WORK

Waiting and Praying for a Harry Potter ride

1994 DL HoJo's
2000 DL Pacific Resort
2003 Carribean Beach
2005 DL Westcoast Aniheim
2006 DL HoJo's

xoxo Mary
Profile PM AOL
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
tracstr2 Offline
Grant Heimbach

Disney EchoEar

Posted: Oct. 21, 2005, 7:31 am Quote

Hey Dreamer,

I don't think anyone has everyone been able to pinpoint a "average" salary for Imagineers because there is such a wide variety of employees there (i.e. a graphic designer is not going to get paid the same as a storyboard artist but they are both considered Imagineers if they work at WDI). I am sorry I don't have a straight "official" answer for you. I do know that the starting salary for a Mechanical Engineer in the States in 2005 is $51,000 with only a Bachelor's Degree. I figure that Disney would have to be in this ballpark just remain competitive and keep their employees. I also have it from a Cast Member friend that a Industrial Engineer/ Imagineer friend of hers (sorry I can't confirm this myself) that his salary is around $65,000 a year and he has been with Disney for almost 10 years. Those are just some round about numbers that might help you along. Have a Disney Day!!

--------------
We Want The Redhead!!!
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Mar. 30, 2006, 12:17 am Quote

Want to become a Disney Imagineer? First, follow your Disney dream... :pixiedust:

Here's some tips to help you. Take a look here at what Imagineering job openings are available, and check back from time to time, noticing what kind of things they are looking for in an applicant's background and resume.

Also, check out the The Unofficial Walt Disney Imagineering Page run by Disney EchoEar and this "Disney Imagineering" forum's co-modEARator, Bill Wilson / Imagineering.org -- specifically this part of it:How To Become An Imagineer. That page includes a reprint from the dearly-departed "Disney Magazine" which will give you more ideas. That article featured on Bill's website is called "So You Want To Be An Imagineer?"

Also on that same page of Bill's website you'll find these quotes from Imagineers giving advice about how they think are the best ways to become an Imagineer:
  • Doug Wolf, Project Manager, Walt Disney Imagineering--Florida
    "Dream and pursue your imagination and goals. Do anything that stirs your creativity--read, write, draw, observe and travel. Learn what you enjoy and excel at, whether it be model-building, drawing, writing or construction. See if there's a fit. Most likely there is since Imagineering encompasses almost everything imaginable. But above all, enjoy what paths your life travels and learn from each experience."

• Joe Lanzisero, Senior Concept Designer
    "[Executive designer and longtime Imagineer] Rolly Crump told me of some advice Walt Disney had given him: Become a student of life, be interested in everything. Be a life sponge, soaking up, observing and recording anything and everything of interest. Develop an attitude where you never stop learning."

• Bruce S. Johnson, Research and Development
    "Never pass up the opportunity to see new things, draw things, build things, talk to experts and learn new skills. I learned how to invent machines of all kinds over the years. I've worked as an auto mechanic, machinist, carpenter, factory worker, artist, concept engineer and many other trades. Some were for money and some were just for fun, but I learned from every one of them."

• David Durham, Show Designer
    "'Educational Path' doesn't just mean classroom teaching. I think a lot of my education came from working at Disneyland. It also came from taking courses-- psycholinguistics, nuclear biology, wood shop--seemingly unrelated to what I was studying. Taking nothing but design courses might make a good designer, but taking a variety of courses will make a better Imagineer."

• Paula Dinkel, Lighting Designer
    "Don't try to be an Imagineer! Work hard to be the best you can be at whatever you do, get an education, keep on learning, maintain your sense of wonder and discovery and have a good life."

• Kevin Rafferty, Show Writer
    "Find out everything you can about every aspect of Disney. If you ever find yourself here, you will draw much from that knowledge. Better yet, find out everything you can about everything. If you are an artist--draw, paint, sculpt and write. If you are a writer--read, write, paint and sculpt. You never know what you're capable of doing until you start doing it. More than anything, work hard and stick with it. Remember, the only time you will find success before work is in the dictionary."

• Bruce Bader, Scope Writer
    "There are lots of jobs here that you wouldn't normally think about or aren't normally found in other companies. Since many of these jobs don't have traditional education or experience requirements, they might be a good way to get your foot in the door."

• Ben Schwegler, Research and Development
    "Pick a career you really like--I'm not kidding about this--even if it is something other people may tell you is not trendy, 'has no future' or seems to have a low probability of success, like art or botany. I think you can only be successful if you really like what you are doing."

• Larry Nikolai, Show Designer
    "Don't give up. If you really want to be part of Imagineering, you will naturally keep growing while practicing and expanding your knowledge. Wander far and wide in your quest for experience. Don't just limit it to what you perceive as the world of Disney. Imagineering is always growing, too. It is always looking for new realms, styles and possibilities."

• Mark Rhodes, Show Writer
    "Beg, whine and plead."

Good luck, David! :thumbsup:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
COSMO.VNZ Offline
Alvaro From Venezuela

Newbie Disney EchoEar

Posted: May 25, 2006, 4:46 pm Quote

Hi, my name is alvaro. Im from venezuela, south america. I have been thinking a lot these pass 3 years, i've decided that for the rest of my life i want to work in disney, making roller coaster. After some information that ive gathered, i found out disney imagineer. I really like the part of civil engineer and special efects. But i have a probleme, after i finish high school here, i'll go to study in the univeristy of california and get i univerisity degree there and then try to get into imagineer.But i really don't know if becuase i was born in venezuela, but i lived 5 years in florida. I really know that this is what i want to do for the rest of my life, i even do designs of disney atractions that i invented on my free time. Please can somebody give me some advice?
Profile PM
sadizney Offline
Sandy

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: May 25, 2006, 7:23 pm Quote

Welcome Alvaro. I believe there are some people here who are familiar with the engineering side of Disney. I'll bump this topic up so someone will hopefully see it. It sounds like you have a great future ahead of you.

--------------
:waver:  :magic:
WDW trips: Apr.'74, 'Aug. 78, Aug. '80, Aug.'84, June '86, Oct. '86, March '87, Oct. '90,  June '92,  Aug. '92, Jan. '93, Aug. '93, Nov. '94, Aug.'95, Aug.'96, June '97, Aug.'98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July 2005, June/July 2006, Feb. '07, July '07, June '08, August '09 . November '09, August '10. July '11. June/July 2012, October 2012
DL trips: April '88, Oct. '91, June '95, Aug. '95
DCL trip: April '08
Five Parks, Four Worlds, One Dream, One Man :tinkflying:
VMK Name: Sanderella :ArielSparkle: Left to right: Barb, me and Bob

Here's wishing I was 1228.25 miles closer to "home."

"PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Profile PM
Ilovdisney Offline
Cheryl

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: May 26, 2006, 8:28 am Quote

I think the first step once your in college is to get into the summer intern program. This is not the College program where you go work at dinsey for a semester, but you are an intern in your field. I have talked to several people who startedd this way and ended up working for disney.Know tho, that that program is open to those about to enter thier Jr year.
As a side note. Please keep you fingers crossed. DH has a phone interview today with disney Imagineers. It's the first step.

--------------

It's been a long time getting from here to there. It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.
Profile PM
d_dreamer Offline
Mary

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: June 17, 2006, 1:29 pm Quote

i would be extremely suprised if they didn't hire you just because your from Zenesuela. After all, they're thinking of putting a park in Spain/Brazil, they'll be looking for fluent Spanish speakers

--------------
WARING: FURTURE IMAGINEER AT WORK

Waiting and Praying for a Harry Potter ride

1994 DL HoJo's
2000 DL Pacific Resort
2003 Carribean Beach
2005 DL Westcoast Aniheim
2006 DL HoJo's

xoxo Mary
Profile PM AOL
DezineWiz Offline
Daniel Rappaport

Disney EchoEar Advanced

Posted: July 31, 2006, 4:27 am Quote

Hello Wide Wonderful Disney World!

Since some of my last posts on here, I have grown both personally, professionally, and creatively.

I have a few questions, but first, if you please, just a bit about my background...

I am currently attending the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, and am majoring in Film and Video.  They are a VERY professional program, with the highest of standards.

I had an internship with a gentleman who worked at W.D.I. in audio for over ten years, so, I know how to design theme park audio.

I am currently developing my own entertainment conglomerate

Mission Statement - Enhancing the entertainment and living experiences of people worldwide.

To add to my life experiences, it would be a wonderful pleasure to apply my talents at Walt Disney Imagineering.  I am long well trained in everything from theme park layout, to color and design, to special effects, to knowing how it all magically fits together to generate maximum profits!

IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN ASSIST ME IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE, YOU WILL BE GREATLY REWARDED!!  :)

Thank you very much for your time!

* - list of skills -
website design, music composition, logo design, merchandise design, synergy design, art direction, video editing, etc..

:pixiedust:  :sorcerer:

--------------
With Pixie Dust and a Computer,

Daniel

If you're heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme!

"Always say "yes" first, then go off and figure it out."
-The Imagineers

:)
Profile PM
Katie-Kreative Offline
Katie

Disney EchoEar

Posted: Aug. 14, 2006, 1:13 pm Quote

Imagineering... Do you know anything about imagineering?

--------------
~Katie
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: Aug. 14, 2006, 1:33 pm Quote

EchoEars who have posted here in this Disney Imagineering forum do indeed know a lot about it, Katie!

Welcome to the Disney Echo and be sure to take a look around the great things in this Imagineering forum, where I moved your comments.
:welcome:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
22 replies since May 21, 2004, 5:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) Jump to first page Previous Page 1 [2] 3 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Imagineering FAQ: How to become an Imagineer
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement