Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (7) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: DISNEY ECHO RETURNEES: Comments Re: Site Slow Down< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29, 2012, 5:18 pm Quote

Hi, Disney Echo Members,

In another Topic Site Admin Rich and I are trying to communicate to those infrequently logging on that actually Disney Echo is just plain ol' not nearly as busy as in prior years, and I redirect people to some ideas and suggestions where online and published they can find Disney news, info, travel guidance, community and etc.

It's so very kind that people want to comment on the Topic.  However I thought maybe a true discussion Topic about the site getting very slow and less visited might be a better idea.  In that way there is truly discussion and sharing, much better community.

So I'll post links so if you're coming in out of the blue you'll know what I'm talking about.

Here goes:

Here is the Topic which explains Disney Echo is much less busy now than a couple of years ago.  Go to the end of it for latest update, not Page 1.

DISNEY ECHO RETURNEES: READ THIS TOPIC

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....t=17661

I have put together suggestions for our members to use in case they are planning a Disney trip or are cruising around online wondering what's new with Disney, or who want fellow Disney fans to talk to.  At this link:

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....7;st=10

Go to the last post on that page, scroll down for it.  Sorry no hot links directly to whatever I recommend  Use Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. for finding the various suggestions and ideas yourself.  It is more like shifting the burden and work of digging up Disney information onto the reader rather than a site member, or me or Rich, doing it for you.  However, the recommendations are highly 100% solid and sure-fire.  Looking for chat and community, breaking Disney news, information, parks or Cruise Line information, what's new?  Then follow that second link above, and you'll find it.

Yes, I do know, we all know, it ain't like the good ol' days on Disney Echo, laughter, info, sharing the good times and hard times and sad times in some people's lives while helping each other plan good trips or finding kindred Disney friends we never knew were out there 'til someone joined out site.

But we have to face 2012 and beyond realities.  With the increasing popularity of social media and migration from one place to the next on the 'Net that actually is normal and typical of cyberspace, there will always be a new or better site, more up to date info, hand-holding help for trip planners, and people operating the site or sites who are savvy about how to keep a web site or social media useful, newsy, current, and more likely to get direct press releases from Disney.  

That's not us anymore.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, all kinds of other fan sites like Passporter guidebooks', Deb Wills All EArs Net.com, Laughing Place, Mouse Planet, Mice Age, The DIS Boards, and many more….. Tikiman maintains his huge following of fans of WDW's Polynesian Resort.  I don't know if Jeff Spencer is still maintaining a news and info and travel guidance site for Fort Wilderness Campground or not.  But you get the idea….  Competition, and others frankly have staffs who are still there  and work with dedication, year in, year out, to help Disney fans maintain being Disney fans.

That's not us anymore.

Frankly people got up and went, to other social media and other fan sites.  Having mobile smart phones and tablet devices has created the phenomenon of "Apps" including from Disney tour guide authors who have come up with interactive ways to have their books be useful for people in the parks or ships who also have mobile tablets or smart phones.  

That's not really us, although you can log onto Disney Echo from an iPhone and post to it, it's teeny to read the print and unless you have a fast processor in your iPhone or similar device it's awkward and slow to truly post a conversational note.

So people have migrated away.  For whatever reason.  Since migration is normal on the Internet and I've been on the Internet since 1991 on Usenet's rec. arts.disney newsgroup, I've seen a lot of people come and go.

With us being slower, and the regular former members and Moderators don't come to actually interact or "work here" anymore, they mostly just "drive by" "just checking to see what's new"….  Any infrequent members don't realize their questions or comments won't be responded to.

I have tried, truly tried, to "goose up" Disney Echo and keep some part of what it was in it's heyday propped up.  News.  Chat.  Info.  Frequent updating.  Polls.  Praying for people.

Crickets chirping.

So if Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same actions over and over again expecting a different result", I came to realize ol' Albert was one pretty smart guy.  After a year to a year and a half of trying I finally gave up Summer 2012.  

I'm the mom of a high school age boy who's active in Boy Scouts and marching Band.  The school is several miles from our house, and I do volunteer work for the school and participate in a car pool of other families with sons attending this school since it's kinda far from our part of the metro area and they don't offer bus service.  Free time I used to have when dear son was younger and pre-high school is a lot less now.  Dear Husband Rich is busy in his job too.  And we were in our late 30's-early 40's in the 1991 era when we became big Disney fans and "older than that" now and with age and a busy teenage son, and lots of driving going on in our family, something has to give.  Rich also has an elderly mother in a memory care assisted living facility out of state from us, and she has some heart problems, too.  So we're just cornered with a lot of Real Life offline, no Moderators or active caring frequently logging on members of Disney Echo who could help keep the site newsy, up to date, conversational and enticing.  Something has to give.

So sorry.   :musicsad:

Rich and I made bigtime friendships in the 1991-late 1990s era on rec. arts.disney Usenet newsgroup and on the Fidonet version of Disney Echo back then.  We'd correspond, send Christmas cards, meet up at the parks or at Official Disneyana Conventions.  We had a local chapter of a national-international Disney collectors club and we were members and friends with members.  

But most assuredly Rich and I do very much understand how much people liked our site, appreciated it's friendly and tolerant tone, and moderating it to keep discussions focused on Disney and not straying off onto tangents.  People found big time friends.  We prayed over each other's hardships.  

That was then, and of value to others, I know.  But the people of "then" have "now" mostly migrated away.  We don't have today what we did then.  It's slower.  Weeks and months go by without people doing more than "drive by" or "just checking what's new".  That's not really "community", it's peeking in the windows of a once popular store or cafe' and not seeing much going on, they continue walking past.

So there's this "Read this" notice at the first link above.  And where people can go to find up to date info, news, community at the second link.

If you want to, post any feelings or discussions in a "Reply".  This Topic is the place to express your thoughts.

Others will see what you write, and if they want to will join in.  

No we are not closing Disney Echo down, however if I were given power over it I'd stop stringing the site along and I would close it since it's so slow.  The site is owned by Larry Gensch aka "lar3ry" and it's his to do with as he wishes, and between Rich and lar3ry they want to still keep it open.  However the site will go more and more out of date and new news and new info won't be posted, rendering it's usefulness less so and its community not as worth it.  So Rich and lar3ry want to keep the site up, so it shall be.  But less updated, newsy.... I don;t have time being the mom of a teenage son, and the Moderators and regular formerly frequent members have moved on.  So basically the site is just plain old dormant and outdated now.

Post if you want to any fond memories you had, favorite log on time you had here, if you ever actually had a 'Net Meet with other Disney Echo Members in the parks or near where you live.  Post opinions if you want,  Or critiques.  Get stuff off your chest and vent and opine.  Discuss if you have anything good, ,bad, ugly, or in between, to say.  

If others are also "driving by" or "just checking in" they will see this Topic in the Scroll Box and maybe respond.  And Voila!  Community!

But know with certainty:  It's NOT ASSURED if you post a new Topic about Disney, ask a question, post news, seek that old time feeling of a site and a community where people logged in multiple times a day to chat with others, or me or Rich or others posting Disney news and tidbits and vicarious trip reports....  It's a hugely slower site than those days, Rich and I have come to accept that over the last 1-2 years and we accept it now.... And in our ways we've moved on, him at work and liking iPhone and Apple products, me being mom of a teenager.  We do still like Disney!  However it's a different time in our lives, much less time than used to be.  And fewer people to post for anymore..... it became not as worth our time.  That's why I posted where people could look up info. So few people means teach the few people how to look things up themselves rather than have someone do their work for them.  

Sorry.... It's just a different day.  We're moving on now, as others have done, but if that's hard for you to do too, we get it, fully understand..... and offer you.... This topic !

So post here whatever you want to in an ongoing discussion about Disney Echo in the past evolving to the present.

BUT:  If you want Disney news, info, community, travel guidance.... Go to this link, after clicking it scroll to the last posting, and follow any and all suggestions.  100% guaranteed to work for you !  

:thumbsup:  :pixiedust:   :grouphug:
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Sep. 30, 2012, 1:13 pm Quote

One truly "good time" I think Disney Echo had was when member kimsdisneydreams started posting in the Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust Forum to let us all know how her husband was doing and how she was doing in their battle against his gall bladder cancer.  The site supported Kim very much in her time of difficulty then grief after her dear husband lost his battle.  

Rich and I also have professional backgrounds in news media.  We used our backgrounds when we would hear of major accidents or deaths on Disney property in California or Florida.  Comparing news on major news media in Los Angeles-Orange County, CA or Orlando FL, Rich or I, or both, could "cover" minute by minute with postings news or what was going on.  I recall the tragic death of a monorail driver in July one year when the night supervisor went out to eat and the Cast Members were having to reposition trains of the monorail at 2 am on the morning of or following July 4th Independence Day, one backed into the drivers cab of the other without a spotter paying attention and it killed the young driver of the one, crushed to death inside the cab.  Our readers could keep up, live blog style, with what happened that terrible night and morning aftermath and in the months and years following.  Disney needed to learn lessons and the family will never have their loved son back.... It might not be a Pixie Dust story but I've always believed "I'm gonna like Disney, not marry it" and it's served me since 1991.  We came together then, too, to pray for this young Cast Member, his family, and that Disney would be held accountable and reform it's practices.  See it all in the Monorails Forum.  

There have been other times we've covered other accidents, deaths, and tragedies and news at Disneyland and Walt Disney World for our site.  

We even got to attend a Disney Shareholder's Meeting in New Orleans and ask CEO Robert Iger about re-releasing "Song of the South" to home video during stockholder Q & A.  And the announcement of Disney's first African-American Princess was made at that same meeting, Princess Tiana of "The Princess and the Frog" set here in New Orleans.  And we covered the news for Disney Echo members and readers.

We've had a variety of members, too.  One of whom came to us from The DIS Boards and who portrayed himself online as a "man child" who posted with a childlike writing style.... Turned out to be a total act.  Outta here!  He came to us from The DIS Boards because they didn't want the guy, either.  I think his online name was Flower (the skunk character in "Bambi").

How about you?  Any good memories of how this site and it's members helped you, or touched you, or helped you escape Real Life for awhile to have fun having conversations with fellow Disney fans?
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 01, 2012, 8:46 pm Quote

Even volunteers and volunteer leaders in labors of love efforts need and absolutely deserve thanks, appreciation, honor..... and  well-deserved rests!

So at this link, betcha you tend to forget this button is there up at the top of this page, but the Mod Team aka Disney Echo Moderators have worked and contributed many hours, depth of Disney expertise, and dedication to Disney Echo and it's members over the years.

As Disney Echo is much less frequented today than in the past, I want to offer a posting within this topic, never forgetting to say and express "Thank You" to "The Mod Team".  They helped keep order.  They contributed news, tips, conversation, redirection to where members could definitely find out precise Disney and travel info they needed to know.  Watched out for the few minors we had logging on ages 13 and up.  Prayed and offered Pixie Dust to those needing a helping hand or friendly ear or the uplift in their day.  Kept the Disney spirit up and active on this site every time they logged on.

At this link are the kind folks who volunteered their time as Moderators on Disney Echo.

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....=2&&t=7

Thank you to each of you.  From the heart.  And to former and long gone, for years, Moderators who contributed so much but Real Life changes came about and they've been gone for years.  Pixie Dust to all our Moderators past, and who still have that title but their Real Lives are such they visit less nowadays.  Thanks, Disney Spirit to you, and may your dreams all come true!

:bowdown:  :clapping:  :bowdown:  :thumbsup:

We appreciate all you did and do for Disney Echo, and if all our members from many years could gather now, they'd say "Thanks!" too!   :mickey:  :pixiedust:  :minnie:  :hula:  :hula2:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 01, 2012, 9:09 pm Quote

Rich and I are glad that this site helped answer people's questions, and that Disney fans from the US and many countries joined here to post, virtually reality "meet each other" on this site and even at 'Net Meets sometimes, find fellow Disney fans as good friends lasting years.

Sometimes however were special needs people, or those among our members with many personal problems or special situations calling for them to not post about Disney so much as to reach out for camaraderie.

That is what our Faith Trust & Pixie Dust Forum was-is all about, to divert people expressing very personal and serious situations out of happy happy joy joy Forums and into a Forum where our members and their hearts can flow towards that member, needs, or national or international situations and secularly offer Pixie Dust uplift and encouragement or religiously prayers and spiritual support.

That is what our Dis-ABILTIES-Special Needs Forum was-is all about, for those traveling with special needs loved ones or how to recognize special medical conditions that Disney posts warning signs about outside some of their more active rollicking rides.  

Both these forums served a need on this site and were used frequently by members.

Special thanks to mamaloya who had the idea for Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust Forum (her husband is a minister and served as a US military chaplain) and to disneluver who moderates the Special Needs Forum and contributed to Passporter's-Deb Wills wonderful book about "Open Mouse" and how special needs persons can work effectively with Disney that their health, well-being, stamina, energy, needs for special diets, special accommodations can be accomplished for the best Disney vacation ever.

Our site was always at it's best when our site members reached out to others in any way possible to help answer questions, or pray for or uplift members in need, or share a smile, a joke or a jest, or offer expertise into how special needs Disney vacationers could have the most fun possible.  

Our Moderators helped do that, but really all our members contributed to this wonderful spirit that grew from the grass roots on up.

It's getting tougher in our day and age, with all we have to do, work, commuting, hard work at school, and so much going on in the economy, our country and the world.  But any time we can understand the whimsy and heart that Walt Disney tried to communicate in his cartoons, shows, movies, TV shows and theme parks, and pass a little of that Pixie Dust on to others, I think true Disney Magic spreads.  Thanks for your efforts on Disney Echo in spreading Pixie Dust, hope, faith, uplift, and ways that the physical limitations of the body do not have to limit Disney fun to others outside your selves.  

Rich and I, no one here, has ever held out they are trained or with expertise in special needs professional emotional or psychological counseling.  Sometimes we encountered online here, in public postings or privately communicated, people with special needs we just cannot have handled.  Sometimes offline we've heard resolution to some situations, some people did eventually get help, and for others who've been away one certainly hopes whatever was bad reversed itself to good or better.  Sometimes in the spiritual realm you pray for people but never hear how the prayers did.  Mystery of faith.  But if our site offered a little respite to offline bad or difficult situations, it's good people who had such life events could find good things here.  Moving forward, if life or what you've experienced is still difficult there are ministers and trained counselors everywhere.  Reach out and find a mentor to guide you through life's rough oceans.  Phone books have listings for this, reach out and get help from trained professionals or at least someone trained to know how to refer you.  Many ministers and church offices in main stream religions can refer to ministries or those among their congregations who can help... call a church or synagogue office, just ask.  They are there to help, and many can refer to effective agencies or practices.  Your employer might have an Employee Assistance Program, where confidentially they too can refer you to effective help or treatments or diagnosis.  People who operate Disney fan sites are not trained in this..... But if you reach out in the right direction plenty of community help is there.  God bless, and God hear your prayers.  Act on this if you're reading it, if you act on it and it works, that is the beginning of healing and sure direction in your life.

Where does a spirit of Disney Echo Pixie Dust and each one help one go from here as the site slows down?

All I ask:  Pass it forward to others you come in contact with.  Recommend "Open Mouse" to any special needs Disney travelers you know of (for sale at

http://www.passporter.com

It's a wonderful great book! )  or taking just 60-seconds every once in awhile to remember fellow Disney fans in prayer or meditation, for their well-being, safety, and health and resolution of what's going on in their lives which is difficult, so that when they can get back to a time of peace, stability, healing and joy maybe they can be carefree and visit Disney again and rediscover the Pixie Dust.

So: Pass that spirit forward, and thanks for contributing your uniqueness as members to creating that grass roots spirit here on Disney Echo.

:pixiedust:  :hearts:  :bowdown:  :clapping:  :hearts:  :pixiedust: :praying:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 02, 2012, 6:09 am Quote

Another bit of "Thanks!" I want to offer is to our advertisers!  Yes, we do, and did, have a few.  Win-win situation all around:  They have a "captive audience" of Disney fans, and Disney Echo members do sometimes get so busy they can't adequately plan a great vacation or find the deals, or with Amazon.com anything you wanted to buy both Disney-related (books, CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays, toys, travel guide books to Disney, etc.) is available for discounted prices and sometimes free shipping.  

This has always been mostly a labor of love/passtime.  But for our advertisers it was their way of bringing extra income into their families, or for Amazon to expand their business.  If the presence of travel agents helped people on our site plan great Disney vacations and find some sales and discounts along the way, or helped consumers find merchandise easily at discounted prices, then we thank them for being part of Disney Echo.

So "Thanks!" to the travel agents!   :bowdown:

I know for a fact one person, Mary Kraemer, at this link is still an active Disney-specialist travel agent.  If you want to browse the list of our past advertiser travel agents, here it is:

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....SF;f=21

We get a "referral fee" from Amazon.com if orders and purchases are made via a link found at the bottom of this page.  It costs you nothing extra. This plan is still in place.  If you still want to "help" Disney Echo head to the bottom of this page, find the Amazon.com tiny link, click it.  It goes to their home video section.  Change which department you shop at.  Shop for Disney, or shop for whatever you want.  Some members have purchased computer cables through the link!  We appreciate that you'd make Amazon.com purchases through the link, and thank you for your patronage of Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp....ve=9325

Disney Echo Ink Shop I think is for buying T-shirts and other personalized items, and the buttons are for when Disney Echo fans wanted to wear buttons when they were in the parks advertising our site or to see if they could find other site members in teh parks to say "Hi!" to.  

As a small niche fan website we've never made mega-bucks here.  Some of the money has gone to Site Owner Larry "lar3ry" Gensch to pay him back for hardware, hard drive replacements, software improvements as needed for the computer in his attic which operates Disney Echo.

Thanks to our advertisers.  And thanks Disney Echo members for supporting them.  Contact Mary Kraemer if you need an online travel agent to work with, and shop at Amazon.com through the Disney Echo link.

:bowdown:  :thumbsup:

Thanks also goes to Larry "lar3ry" Gensch, true owner of Disney Echo in New Hampshire.  He has a computer in his attic connected to Internet supplied by his local cable system  It's on this computer the ant colony known as Disney Echo operates, a little niche Disney fan site.  He is a software engineer by trade.  We first "met" him in the early 1990s on Usenet's rec. arts.disney newsgroup and we have met him in real life.  A group of Disney fans on r.a.d. formed a silly group of friends called Future Disney Cabinet, future Disney executive or performer or character wanna-be's if they ever as a group "took over" The Walt Disney Company.  The FDC as they called themselves in abbreviation got to be very spammy on r.a.d. so left to form a multi-user chat community called FDC MUCK.  When FDC MUCK itself got a little too insular and mean-spirited lar3ry formed EntertainMUCK to welcome those wishing to leave FDC MUCK.  Eventually EntertainMUCK petered out, too, and lar3ry agreed to let Rich lead a Disney fan website called Disney Echo on EntertainMUCK's section on his computer.  If you squint hard at the URL for Disney Echo you'll see "emuck.com" there.  

The term "Disney Echo" comes from the late 1980s-early 1990s Fidonet computer network which was distributed by bulletin board mom-and-pop operators as hobbies from their homes, and via dial-up subscribers call their computer, download messages and upload replies.  It has Forums known as Echoes (on usenet forums are called newsgroups).  Chris Harrower from Pennsylvania founded Disney Echo on Fidonet.  It was a lovely, pleasant, informative, social place to talk Disney, everyone well-behaved and never rude to each other.  Where does the "tone" of today's Disney Echo come from?  The Fidonet Disney Echo as founded and moderated by Chris Harrower back in the late 1980s-early 1990s!  When Fidonet went the way of the dinosaur in favor of Internet and world wide web, and Larry Gensch wanted to repurposed the defunct EntertainMUCK, Rich came up with a blast from the past, Disney Echo as he'd known it on Fidonet.  

We had a severe hard drive crash causing a complete shut down of Disney Echo and reforming it on a totally new hard drive from scratch.  That is why today there is a Vault Disney Echo and a Disney Echo, two sites, but really one site.  Vault Disney Echo still has chat and Disney information archived but you can't post to it, that part is closed.  But at the top of this page if you click "Archives" it takes you to that long ago original Disney Echo website.  If you squint hard at the URL for Disney Echo you'll see "new" as part of it, to differentiate the reformed site from the site that had the hard drive crash years ago.

So to Larry "lar3ry" Gensch and Chris Harrower :   :clapping:  :bowdown:  :pixiedust: For creating and maintaining Disney Echoes past (Fidonet) and present.  Thanks, never forgetting to say and express thanks!
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 15, 2012, 6:41 am Quote

The Topic you've clicked on and are reading now is for discussion about how slow it is on Disney Echo.

Read the above, hit Reply, and feel free to offer your thoughts, questions, opinions, etc.

If you are infrequently logging on and are wondering what's going on.....

Click this link.  Read posts.  Follow a link to some suggestions I've posted where you can find Disney news, information, travel guidance and trip planning support, and online fellow Disney fan community to be friendly with and chat Disney with online.

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....t=17661

Thanks for supporting Disney Echo all this time, and sorry the level of member traffic on here has slowed down so very much.  You as a community member are always in thoughts, prayers, and Pixie Dust for fine trips, good times, and Disney memories with loved ones, and fun fanship always!

:bowdown:  :pixiedust:  :praying:
Profile PM
utilidor27 Offline
Eric

Contemporary Resort and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Oct. 15, 2012, 8:19 pm Quote

One thing that I miss about the times on the Echo is how hard you and Rich, along with myself and other modEARators worked so hard to ensure that this site had no "flaming" or rude/inappropriate remarks. Try as they may, facebook just doesn't have that luxury. The benefit of being a smaller site. I will forever be grateful for that. What's that I call it, good friends, and good times. Even now it's a place where we can share our needs (Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust) and know that others will be there to give support and friendship. I'm sure I've said it before, but it's worth saying again - "thank you". :bowdown:

--------------
Eric
Contemporary Resort forum and Downtown Disney co-modEARator

If you're a Disney fan membership in the Echo is simply logical! :CastMemberFormer:
:monorailwdw:

:bug:
Check out the Disney Echo MySpace page @

http://www.myspace.com/478311428
Profile PM
kimsdisneydreams Offline
Kimberly G

Posted: Oct. 16, 2012, 2:00 am Quote

Having read thru this topic I do have to say "Bless you" to Carol for remembering me and my wonderful husband's sad journey and it still touches me just how much help the members of this site were to me during the 17 mos my late husband  fought his battle and the hard, sad months following his loss.  Carol, you were tremendous in the amount of posting you did....offering so many words of comfort, a ton of helpful and practical information...prayers, calls for support ...on and on.  I always marvelled at all the time and care you took, obviously researching, and converying messages of hope and faith that truly held me up through it all.  It was so great to come to this site in the wee, hard hours of the night and draw comfort from all you wrote, and also from the many many caring and wondering words of encouragement from so many EchoEars...Sandy, Utilidor...love that moniker, E! ...Marsha...just to name a few and every single person who posted..you have no idea how many times I came back to that thread to read and re-read all those posts.  It was a lifeline, especially since alot of hurtful things came my way, as they often do, in times of loss, from "family" members who left me by the wayside in my worst hours and days because of resentment over their misplaced sense of entitlement to things that never even existed...and anger directed at me for decisions my husband made.....I looked to the wonderful folks here like an extended family....I followed Carol's suggestions which helped in so many ways...and was able to rest at night because of all the comforting words of fellow EchoEars.....a millions thanks cannot cover all of it!

I also got a tremendous amount of pleasure from the Echo....trip reports, suggestions....shared excitement...it enhanced the anticipation of the trips we took...and I loved reading about everyone else's Disney vacations...I never lost my love of all things Disney...I now have a year old grandson....I had made a Disney Princess room a few years ago out of a spare bedroom....so now I have to make a Mickey Mousey kind of room for him out of another bedroom...I'm keeping the Princess room! He has lots of Mickey  outfits....toys....etc etc.  Looking forward to watching Disney movies with him!  I still have a lot of little girl left inside of me who still gets the biggest kick out of anyting Disney...I wear Disney jewelry every day...for reals!I have a display of disney waterglobes in my family room window...neighbors think it looks like one of the windows at Disneyland!  Planning on a trip in the spring or early summer with the girls I went to DL with last Halloween! And just wait til my grandson is old enough to go with me!  Woot!

The Echo has been my Disney touchstone for many years and enhanced my Disneyitis to the max!   Kudos for the caring, support, laughter, entertainement etc etc etc!

Love y'all bunches!

--------------

Still remembering my June 7, 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter vacation...
In 2010 I converted a bedroom into a Disney Princess Room! Everyone who sees it feels the magic and says they just have to smile when they are in it!  

When I'm at WDW I'm 8 years old again!
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 21, 2012, 8:18 am Quote

About how hard Rich and I worked on this site....

Back in the days of rec.arts.disney on Usenet and the original Fidonet Disney Echo people used to treat each other civilly and with Pixie Dust attitudes all the time.  The oddballs were the ones who found something negative under the bushes or from under rocks to bring out to be ornery about.  The Fidonet version of Disney Echo was moderated, so all posts were screened.  Attempts were made via Frequently Asked Questions Lists that got posted monthly to moderate comments, and even to make the newsgroup moderated with leaders who'd chastise the ornery among those who came to discuss.  There are many moderated websites out there, including Disney fan ones.  

Some of the fan websites I've referred people to now that Disney Echo is slower and less busy are in fact moderated fan websites.  They have Terms of Use, and if your conduct violates the Terms and you refuse to cooperate with the Morderator Team on various forums out you go.

Censorship?  Maybe.  Disney isn't everyone's cup of tea, and they can screw up, misread the public or public tastes, be self-serving, expensive, their prices or entertainment offerings or business practices aren't always liked or agreed with.  Are we so gaga over Disney they are automatically right 100% of the time in our starry-eyed view of them?  Of course not.  But we at least try to see their rationale, the reason behind decisions.  That's just being fair.  You can still disagree.  But it serves no purpose other than venting steam to be nasty or crude or offensive about your disagreement, and the more you have full facts the more maybe you can temper the venting or disagreement.  

We've never stifled disagreement, just want it to be fair and civilly expressed.

And if the level of what Disney does, changes, implements, offers to the public as TV shows or movies or DVDs, or decides to do or charges fees and prices for it rises to the level of deal-breaker and you don't want to visit there or consume from them as much anymore or you've reached Disney saturation about it.... Then just leave.  Go ahead.  Starving them of your attention, patronage and money or at least re-directing that or tapering off from that are ways to get their attention.  The alternative is enjoying the sections of it you like best and leaving the rest alone.

Soem people have been on here as members and just don't accept we're attempting to be at least in a minimal way polite, tolerant, diplomatic and fair.  We've had social problems on and off for years.  Rich found ways to privately and discreetly to deal with the problems and issues.  Most members are plugged into the pipeline of just enjoying each other's Disney-related company and we never gossiped about the social problems but if needed we would announce the outcome of hearing out various people and making decisions about their participation here and how that impacts expected conduct.  

With the site slowing down a lot of the people with the social problems, attitude problems, or private profound problems, really have moved on.  Frankly, that's a relief!  We wish everyone well, good health, good fortunes, good luck and prosperity and fun enjoying Disney if that's what they want to do.  All we ever wanted to do was be with other Disney fans, period.  All of us are free to do that now.... D23... The Disneyana Fan Club (formerly known as National Fantasy Fan Club, the Club for Disneyana Enthusiasts) and many various Disney fan sites with Forums for discussion.  

And many of those ARE moderated!  And if you're ornery there the Moderators will toss you off there, too!  Go ahead, make their day!  :tsk:   You can run, but can't hide, that a lot of chat forum sites no matter their subject matter are moderated.  Expect Moderators to step in to Moderate and do their jobs public or private.  It's a tough job.  Not always fun.  But it's needed to keep whatever the site is functioning and civil to attract existing and new members to participate and benefit from it.  Check it out... Moderated Sites are everywhere!

And the more you phrase diplomatically, try to see things from another point of view (including Disney's rationales) and try to be civil, post as if you're very informed (so do your Disney homework BEFORE you post so you'll know what you're talking about), you'll attract people to your Comments.  When you post that way frequently enough you'll attract online Disney fans to you.  And voila!  Disney Echo spirit has spread across the Internet.
:pixiedust:
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 29, 2012, 8:08 pm Quote

Quote (RichKoster @ Sep. 02, 2012, 10:19 am)
Note that the Disney Echo is now mostly inactive and there are other online sources where you can get Disney news, info, chat forums, and travel guidance. More and more this website will have outdated material compared to other places. But enjoy our archived material while you're here. :coolgrin:

Sending up thoughts and prayers for a very special location and man in the region where hurricane Sandy-northeaster will be impacting....

An attic in Salem NH where the true owner of Disney Echo lives, Larry Gensch, online nickname lar3ry or "l3" (lower case L 3) for short.  It's lar3ry for all these many years who owns the computer, pays for the cable Internet, installs replacement hard drives, keeps the operating system software up-to-date and so many more things.  A software engineer by profession, lar3ry and his family are north of Boston MA.

While Rich and I live in the New Orleans LA area along where most people expect hurricanes, the true concern has always been when or if severe weather ever hits southern New Hampshire, because that is where the computer, and the Internet servers are, where Disney Echo resides.

If you are cruising by and a registered member of this site, you probably know by now that in the last two years or so Disney Echo fan website has been slowing with activity, as more members move on, join Facebook, Twitter or other online pursuits or one or more of many other Disney fan sites or social media entities out there.

To be truthful, it's a good thing if severe weather were going to hit Disney Echo's being operational, it does so now when so few people visit it any more and Rich and I have not 100% but vastly mostly stopped keeping it updated.  If it happened at Disney Echo's peak of operation, years ago, members who frequently logged in would probably be upset, then again many of those members also live in the Northeast US now where the storm has caused lots of power outages and tidal surges and fallen trees and possibly flooding.

Still, we know for us in our family and for many of you Disney Echo has a sentimental place in the Disney fanship corner of your hearts.  It's where friends met for the first time, and lots of Disney questions got answered, news shared, good times at the parks or cruise ships compared with each other.  

All that was made possible by lar3ry agreeing to repurpose EMuck social live interactive website to be what is Disney Echo years ago, in his attic.

So for all out East Coast, North East and New England and eastern Midwest members, and very much for lar3ry and family and his livelihood.....  God bless, Pixie Dust, stay safe.

Should Disney Echo go down, it's for the duration of electricity, phone lines and cable Internet being down, and I hope lar3ry's house physically stays safe, too.  When services get restored Disney Echo will be back up.  If it's a huge storm, however, it could "be awhile" before utilities or house or neighborhood repairs take place, as the case may be with lar3ry.

Be patient.

We have a Disney Echo presence on Facebook and Twitter, just "search" for it on those sites.

However, as long as Disney Echo remains operational through hurricane Sandy-northeaster and if you are an infrequent logging on registered member, if you need or want Disney news, click this link below, scroll down, use any and all suggestions in the last posting.  In this way Disney Echo continues to help it's members, even though it's redirecting you to do your own research and find your own Disney news, info and community on alternative websites.  

Check this link, scroll to the last posting there, follow any and all suggestions.  Thanks.

If you want to discuss with others that Disney Echo is slowing down....

Go to this URL and Topic on Disney Echo....

http://new.disneyecho.emuck.com/cgi-bin....y194397

This is for discussing the general subject of Disney Echo slowing down and that Rich and I aren't going to participate on here as much, or to look back and remember good ol' days or busier times.

POST THERE NOT HERE IF YOU HAVE COMMENTS PLEASE.

Let's let this Topic be for letting infrequent folks know what's going on and how they can help themselves find current Disney news and info and travel planning advice and social community.

And keep lar3ry, family, and Disney Echo members affected by this very severe weather system in thoughts, prayers, faith, trust and Pixie Dust.

:pixiedust:   :praying:   :hearts:
Profile PM
62 replies since Sep. 29, 2012, 5:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: DISNEY ECHO RETURNEES: Comments Re: Site Slow Down
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement