Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Question: Poll: Will you be buying Duffy merchandise :: Total Votes:10
Mouseke-Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes 0  [0.00%]
No 4  [40.00%]
Don't Know 3  [30.00%]
Need to see items/more information 3  [30.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Poll: Will you be buying Duffy merchandise, Duffy the Disney bear available at Epcot< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dawginfla Offline
Brian

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 17, 2010, 12:51 pm Quote

Duffy the Disney bear was first used at Tokyo Disneyland. Mickey was traveling the world and Minnie wanted to give him a bear to travel with him so he wouldn't be lonely and to remind him of her. Duffy was a huge hit in Japan but will it catch on here?

There is Duffy merchandise at Epcot and also at California Adventure. The full size Duffy has been seen taking pictures and meeting guests on the Future World side of the World Showcase.

--------------

Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 17, 2010, 3:37 pm Quote

Nothing "Disney" about the new product, at least to me. In the sailor suit it looks better suited to Disney Cruise Line than the parks.  It doesn't appeal to me at all.  The market is saturated with lots of teddy bear plush toys.  To me, this is just another one.  And it just doesn't connect "Disney" to me.  It's a cute toy, yes, and if it's posing and signing autographs in the parks and attracts poses and the delight of children, fine with me.  But would I personally buy one?  Nope.  (Besides the son I have is now a teenager, has outgrown this, and there are no other children in our family.  So we're not in the proposed market that Disney might approach to buy this toy or interact with the character.)

Voted "No".
Profile PM
JacquiBee Offline
Jacqui

Posted: Oct. 17, 2010, 3:41 pm Quote

As Carol said, it doesn't say "Disney" to me either...But I might think it's really cute if I saw it in person and might pick one up on impulse...so that's why I said "don't know".

--------------
JacquiBee

Trips to WDW:
72, 83, 87, 88 All off Property
89 - Contemporary
90, 91, 94, 97, 99 - Fort Wilderness Campground
01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins 2600 Loop (We sold the Camper :()
04 - Fort Wilderness Campsite Site 1432
06 - POR Room 1854
Profile PM AOL MSN YIM
eddie_valiant Offline
Eddie

Disney Vacation Club, iPhones, iPads, and iPods modEARator

Group: ModEARator
Posted: Oct. 18, 2010, 11:23 am Quote

Disney used to sell a bear before Duffy.  I know because I bought one for my kids a good while back.  It had Walt Disney World embroidered on the bottom of one paw.

But, no, I won't be buying the Duffy bear.  Instead, I'm going to give my grand daughter a princess make over this December to get back at my daughter.  :)

--------------
Eddie / eddie_valiant

Disney Vacation Club forum and  iPhones, iPads, and iPods forum modEARator

Disney Resorts I've Stayed In: Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's Boardwalk Villas, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, Disney's Village Resort (Vacation Villas), The Disney Inn (AKA Shades of Green/Golf Resort), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort , Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Profile PM
Traveliz Offline
Liz DeSchepper

Posted: Oct. 18, 2010, 8:04 pm Quote

Not a fan of Duffy -- I think he looks like a Red Cross bear (don't ask me why - that is just what I "see").  I saw the bears in person this past week and they do nothing for me.  I did see a child with one at the airport.

Liz

--------------

2007: Took my daughter to WDWCP...
Profile PM
dawginfla Offline
Brian

Posted: Oct. 18, 2010, 9:40 pm Quote

So far the die hard Disney fans don't seem to be warming up to Duffy. Just because they were big in Japan doesn't mean they will be here. Just look at "Hello Kitty". That was a phenomenon in Japan and it just didn't......Oh, wait, bad example. LOL

--------------

Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 19, 2010, 6:34 pm Quote

I used to follow Disneyland quite a bit on alt.fan.disneyland on Usenet and various Disneyland-centric fan sites.  After Jack Lundquist retired as park president over there in the 1990s there came to the office who had been president of Disney Stores, Paul Pressler.  All this was in the middle of Michael Eisner's term as Disney CEO.  I guess they internally assumed that if you've been with the company for a period of years you automatically "got it" about what Disney was about and as a top division president could easily be transferred from doing mostly one thing to doing something new.  So I guess they "assumed" at the time that someone who made a success of the Disney Stores could take the next step up career-wise and be president of the smaller of the American Disney theme parks.  

Pressler mainly knew retailing, not theme parks.  He ran Disneyland like a glorified Disney Store with rides and shows.  he ran the place as if to think what people did in theme parks which made lucrative money was shop, not an overall experience of enjoying a day out doing rides, seeing shows, dining on some good theme park food, buying a few souvenirs, more rides and shows, some snacks, then home.  He never saw Disneyland as an overall experience that included retailing, he saw it as retailing first, everything else second.

So granted:  One never knows what might click with park guests and be a big surprise hit that people love and want to seek out.

With that said:  Unwittingly Disney has done a lot of multigeneration education since "Steamboat Willie" and the opening of Disneyland in 1955.  Even with the new Marvel Comics and movies' memorabilia and characters at Disney parks since Disney bought Marvel, I think still people "expect" overtly Disney or Disney-Pixar stuff going on at the parks.

With Vinylmation, and some other toys, and now Duffy, Disney is trying to expand merchandise and collectibles and put Disney cuteness and personality into enticing people in a 9.6% unemployment rate economy to open the wallet a little more and take home a plush toy and get an autograph and a photo.  Later on at home the family might ask "Who the heck is Duffy, what Disney movie or show or cartoon or direct-to-DVD is Duffy from?" and the toy ends up in the plush pile in the bin or corner.  Disney gets to keep the money.

It's cute, but looks like something you'd get at Build A Bear, or Toys R Us, or wherever people get a mass supply of teddy bears going on.  Teddy bears are inherently cute.  This one, again, doesn't have "Disney" identity that is distinctive to the Disney "brand".  

It just seems to me "Let's do a teddy bear in a sailor suit, create a little backstory for it, even get a meet and greet costumed character going, it'll sell units especially impulse buy units, trust me" and that's all the thought that went into it.   :dollar:  :dollar:  :dollar:  :dollar:  :dollar:  In other words, in the spirit of now long gone Paul Pressler, Duffy seems to me to be a teddy bear to make the cash registers ring, and that's about it.

Once upon a time Annette Funicello (the 1950's "Mickey Mouse Club" Mouseketeer beloved actress-singer-dancer) designed a series of teddy bears for Disney that Disney would promote in its parks.  If Duffy were designed by beloved Annette, that would be a different story.

For a few years I developed an interest in teddy bears, bought some books on the subject.  I really like the Steiff German teddy bears best, BTW, and I hope the shop in Germany at Epcot's World Showcase still sells some.  I'd rather buy a Steiff teddy bear from Epcot's Germany shop than Duffy, frankly.  I think it would mean more to me, and be even cuter than contrived Duffy.  But that's just me.....

Winnie the Pooh already is a Disney character and much beloved.... and also oversaturated as a plush toy merchandise item, but still very universally beloved.  In a Disney Store when my sone was just turning age 1 he grabbed onto a really soft and lovely Pooh bear and would not let go so we bought it.  Son slept with and cuddled Pooh for years!  I'd rather have a Pooh bear, even though son's a teen now and outgrown all that, than Duffy.
Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 20, 2010, 5:53 pm Quote

I think Kristin Ford, the columnist for "Mom and the Mouse" at Daily Disney Blog at the Orlando Sentinel is thoroughly won over by the idea of Duffy.  I note the first place she and her family "started their journey" was in the gift shop!  

So I gather that Duffy is the "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" to make the idea of touring the foreign countries of World Showcase at Epcot more palatable for children.

Read on, a photo of the "walk-around/meet & greet" version of Duffy is at the link.  Never heard of Duffy?  The columnist offers a barebones backstory to clue you in.  

(I don't remember Mickey ever had a stuffed bear given to him by Minnie in original Disney cartoons since "Steamboat Willie", or maybe it was in Mickey Mouse comic books, is this true?)

Quoting:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/disney-....my-kids

Meeting Disney’s Duffy at Epcot was beary fun for my kids
A Mom and The Mouse, Kristin Ford — posted by kristin ford on October, 18 2010 12:56 PM

My children have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Duffy the Disney Bear since they learned all about him — and got their own stuffed bears — at a Walt Disney World passholder event last month. Duffy debuted at  Epcot on Thursday while my children were in school so we went to meet him over the  weekend.

As the story goes, Duffy was made for Mickey Mouse by Minnie Mouse so he wouldn’t be lonely when he set sail on a long sea voyage. Mickey carried the special teddy bear in his duffel bag, which inspired his name. The pair had great adventures and made many wonderful memories on their trip around the world.

Our adventure began with a stop at the Duffy gift shop, where my children spent some of their birthday money on outfits for their bears. Both had been anticipating the Halloween costumes that were mentioned at the passholder event, but it does not look like those will be available this season. In fact, it appears that to get any of the holiday outfits, guests will have to purchase the entire “special occasion bear.” (Christmas Duffys already are for sale.)

Once they were properly attired in their United Kingdom and Mexico outfits, our Duffy bears were led across the walkway to Duffy’s new gazebo east of Showcase Plaza. I was pleasantly surprised to find a short queue for the meet-and-greet in the middle of a weekend afternoon. Of course, no line is short enough for excited kids!

Duffy admired their bears, signed autograph books and posed for photos. It was a typical meet-and-greet experience, but one that my kids enjoyed with the new character.

And then they were ready to take their bears through World Showcase. Their interest in showing Duffy around each country made me think that the photo sets planned for Japan, Germany, France and America will be quite popular. Older kids will be able to share their travels on Duffy’s Facebook page.

Our day’s journey ended with two Duffys being tucked into the stroller for the ride to the car. And two children happily cuddled with them as they fell asleep remembering the day’s activities.

End of quoted article.
Profile PM
dawginfla Offline
Brian

Posted: Oct. 30, 2010, 6:10 pm Quote

I've been working at Epcot quite a bit this week and I've seen lots of Duffy bears, especially ones wearing outfits from the different countries. They seem to be catching on.

--------------

Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: Oct. 31, 2010, 8:11 am Quote

It's cute, that's for sure.  :thumbsup:  :pixiedust:
Profile PM
10 replies since Oct. 17, 2010, 12:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Poll: Will you be buying Duffy merchandise
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement