Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Can Hurricane "What If" '04 happen again at FtW?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
EeyorePrincess Offline
Karen

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: June 10, 2005, 12:57 pm Quote

OK, where's that Mickey hurricane graphic Rich had going last September?  I'm all ready to try make my reservation to make my second attempt to make my first trip to Ft. Wilderness (Last year's was Hurricaned Out), and lo and behold we have Arlene bearing down on us.

I keep telling myself, it CAN'T happen again, right?

Seriously, does anyone remember what happened last year during the Great Hurricane Sequence?  I remember hearing something about people being sent to Port Orleans?  (And I saw a lot of RVs there when we were there right after Jeanne, but we are tent campers. DK what they do with us.)  The first week of our trip will be in Ft. W., but the second part will be with friends off-site.  In the unlikely event that Hurricane Jafar interrupts our Ft. Wilderness stay, I don't want to be sent packing home and miss the second week of our trip.  Doesnt sound very Disney-ish...

--------------

[countdown]December 6, 2006 6:00 a.m. EST;BLUE [countdown]

Off-Property  '92, '93, '05 (and '06 on the horizon)
Caribbean Beach '95, '01
Wilderness Lodge '03
Port Orleans '04
Coming soon:  Ft. Wilderness '06
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Group: Super ModEARator
Posted: June 10, 2005, 1:06 pm Quote

Quote (EeyorePrincess @ June 10, 2005 11:57 am/pm)
OK, where's that Mickey hurricane graphic Rich had going last September?

Here it is! Look in the "all" collection of MickEmoticons and you'll find it.
:hurricane:

I'm all ready to try make my reservation to make my second attempt to make my first trip to Ft. Wilderness (Last year's was Hurricaned Out), and lo and behold we have Arlene bearing down on us.

Be sure to check out the Hurricane Central topic on the Disney Echo for the lastest information about Arlene and the other tropical storms and hurricanes to come this year. It also has details about how these storms can affect your reservations and travel plans.

I keep telling myself, it CAN'T happen again, right?

Yes, and it has even been predicted that the 2005 hurricane season will have more storms and be more intense than last year's!

Seriously, does anyone remember what happened last year during the Great Hurricane Sequence?  I remember hearing something about people being sent to Port Orleans?  (And I saw a lot of RVs there when we were there right after Jeanne, but we are tent campers. DK what they do with us.)  The first week of our trip will be in Ft. W., but the second part will be with friends off-site.  In the unlikely event that Hurricane Jafar interrupts our Ft. Wilderness stay, I don't want to be sent packing home and miss the second week of our trip.  Doesnt sound very Disney-ish...

Last year when Fort Wilderness was evacuated two different times because of approaching hurricanes, most campers chose to simply leave the area completely, trying to avoid damage to their RVs, campers, and camping equipment.

Those who did want to stay were allowed by Disney to have rooms in Disney's Port Orleans Resort and Disney's All-Star Resorts -- and they were also allowed to have their RVs & campers in the parking lots of the resorts they were moved to. It is not encouraged to stay in any kind of RV during storms like that.

More complete answers to your other questions soon... I'm working on finding the facts about it. Of course, other EchoEars are encouraged to reply too!
:grouphug:

--------------
RichKoster
Disney Echo modEARator / administratEAR
“Dreams Do Come True Down In New Orleans.”
Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: June 10, 2005, 1:23 pm Quote

Actually, yeah, it CAN happen.  There is no crystal ball.  Maybe it'll be another state that's "overdue" (are these news people and weather people keeping track with a fatal desire or something , "overdue" indeed! ) maybe it'll be Louisiana that's overdue (our state! ) and Florida will be OK....  Who knows?

Like I said in another thread and Rich so kindly pulled these 2004 hurricanes and WDW threads together for me, "Search" around and KNOW what to expect!  With knowledge comes confidence.  With confidence comes sure direction to go in in life.  So gain the knowledge.  

And with pre-trip planning and bookings:  Ask ask ask every time you want to buy a ticket or make reservations for Hurricane Alley locations (Texas on through the Eastern seaboard) what would happen if you wanted to cancel due to extreme and unforeseen weather, not just a shower but tropical weather extreme circumstances type of thing.  And make your plans and reservations accordingly.  Get it in writing.  Plunk it on a real credit card and you can be charged back.  But for airlines, hotels, campgrounds, tickets, airport shuttles, rental cars, shows, dinner shows, etc. ask about weather related cancellations in case you do not want to stay at Disney, even to shelter, and want to vamoose instead.

With knowledge comes confidence followed by sure direction.

Fort Wilderness Campground DID close:  Low lying areas and the threat of falling trees.  Campers were diverted to WDW Resorts or could elect to leave the area.

Seek out the new archive Lists of Links-type threads or hit "Search" and seek out the 2004 hurricanes as affecting WDW.  Those who shelter at WDW do so because Orlando is considered inland and because it is known the hotels at WDW are very sturdy.  You'll read real postings from real people in that situation and hear how well Disney did, including helping Campsite guests.  Praise all around and it's not a snow job, it was real.  You'll want the time frame of August 2004-October 2004.  Scroll back enough in this very Forum and some Topics: will show up if you go back far enough.  It's all fact, too, and not Pixie Dust and not public relations hype.  Go for the knowledge, the confidence and the sure direction just those postings of the past can provide.

I hope this helps. :)
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: June 10, 2005, 1:24 pm Quote

More details: Even after storm conditions are over, if Fort Wilderness receives any damage from the high winds/water then it might be a few days before it is entirely reopened. Disney is to be commended in this, because they want all of their Guests to be safe while at WDW and they won't allow anyone to remain in the heavily-wooded Fort Wilderness area when it is not safe, even after a hurricane passes while fallen trees are being removed and any damage to the FtW resort is being repaired.

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
EeyorePrincess Offline
Karen

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: June 10, 2005, 3:30 pm Quote

That's what happened to us last year.  We had a two-part trip planned.  First Ft. W., and then Port Orleans and ended up skipping the Ft. W part.  We are tent campers and there was no good tent camping to be had by the time Jeanne got there.   It was all underwater.   glub glub glub...

However, no threat of a hurricane recurrence is going to keep me at home now that I have been able to refresh my memory that Disney did not send all of the Ft. Wilderness evacuees packing into the lonely night.  Thanks!

May they all stay offshore this year... :hurricane:  (And far away from Rich and Carol! )

--------------

[countdown]December 6, 2006 6:00 a.m. EST;BLUE [countdown]

Off-Property  '92, '93, '05 (and '06 on the horizon)
Caribbean Beach '95, '01
Wilderness Lodge '03
Port Orleans '04
Coming soon:  Ft. Wilderness '06
Profile PM
brianm27 Offline
Brian M

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: June 10, 2005, 9:00 pm Quote

Friends staying last year during one of the hurricanes (in the cabins) were moved to Old Key West in a one bedroom suite.  The campers were being moved to the All Star resorts.  It is my understanding that the original rates paid at the campground were honored (at least for the cabin folks that were relocated to OKW).

--------------

All Star Sports/Music/Movies, Pop Century, Carribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter, Coronado Springs, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Beach Club, & Boardwalk Inn

Brian
Profile PM
RichKoster Offline
Rich Koster

ModEARator

Posted: June 10, 2005, 9:52 pm Quote

Quote (brianm27 @ June 10, 2005 20:00 am/pm)
Friends staying last year during one of the hurricanes (in the cabins) were moved to Old Key West in a one bedroom suite.  The campers were being moved to the All Star resorts.  It is my understanding that the original rates paid at the campground were honored (at least for the cabin folks that were relocated to OKW).

You're right, Brian, about Disney not charging any extra -- and thanks for the update about where those in FtW cabin were moved to. That makes sense, moving them to a DVC resort like OKW where they can still have a kitchen.

And I bet Disney CMs helped move all the foodstuffs from their cabin (including luggage), if help was needed, too!
:clapping:

--------------
RichKoster

Profile PM WEB MSN YIM
PeopleMover Offline
Erin

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: Aug. 28, 2005, 11:18 am Quote

What does FW do about the campers who have their dogs with them?  If they evacuate us to a hotel like POFQ?  Does anyone know?

This will be our first camping trip during hurricane season at FW, so we're concerned about all of us if a storm hits while we're there.  :o

Thanks!

--------------

Profile PM WEB
JacquiBee Offline
Jacqui

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Posted: Aug. 28, 2005, 12:17 pm Quote

If I had to guess (and it is just a guess)...I would think they would put the pets in the Kennels around the World...according to Allears, there are 4 kennels, one outside each of the Theme parks.  They accept dogs, cats, iguanas and non-venomous snakes (ummm... :help: ...I am scared to death of snakes, non-venomous or not... )

I'm sure someone else will come along with the correct response.

--------------
JacquiBee

Trips to WDW:
72, 83, 87, 88 All off Property
89 - Contemporary
90, 91, 94, 97, 99 - Fort Wilderness Campground
01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins 2600 Loop (We sold the Camper :()
04 - Fort Wilderness Campsite Site 1432
06 - POR Room 1854
Profile PM AOL MSN YIM
8 replies since June 10, 2005, 12:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Can Hurricane "What If" '04 happen again at FtW?
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement