Shake Hands & Newbie Help Trip Reports & Travel Dining & Planning Disney At Home Fun News & History
Disneyland / WDW Parks & Resorts: Concierge / Ft. Wilderness / Polynesian News & Business Animation & Live
Disney Echo feed Scroll Topic List Disney Echo TV Forum Search Button Travel Blog Mouseke-Calendar ModEARator Team Forum Help Button
Click to join DisneyEchoMouseNotes
Click to subscribe
to
Disney Echo MouseNotes!

Welcome to the Disney Echo!
It looks like you haven't registered for our forums -- or you aren't logged in yet. Did you know there are some forums and features here only for logged-in members can see? Yes, there are!
More important than that, you need to log in to comment in our many Disney discussions or send messages here. We're always eager to share tips and opinions on the Disney Echo with fellow Disney fans -- yours, too! So...
Don't just be our Guest... Register and join in the fun! Already an EchoEar? Click here for the log-in page!
To get the most out of your experience here on the Disney Echo, please register and log in. Registration is free. There are a lot of benefits to being a member and logging in. For one thing, this annoying text won't be at the top of every screen! There also will be unlimited access to you to read and participate in all of the Disney Echo forums. You can receive notifications regarding topics of interest. Send and receive private messages with other Disney EchoEars. So sign up and then log in today!
» Welcome, Guest
[ Log In ˚◦˚ Register It's free! Only takes 30 seconds! Log-in problems? Click here! ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll
Topic: Give Kids The World charity, Resort Works with "Make a Wish" Causes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Disney EchoEar Grand Mouseter

Group: Members
Posted: July 04, 2004, 8:54 am Quote

Give Kids The World. is a truly outstanding charity/Central Florida Resort for those with life-threatening illnesses and conditions -- and their families -- to stay at, have some fun, and go out from there to enjoy the Central Florida tourist attractions such as WDW, Sea World, Universal Studios, etc. and make some dreams and happiness and inner replenishment come true.  

If you want a day-brightener, just read through their site and their "News" section.

This is a very worthwhile charity to donate either money or real items to.

:pixiedust:  :hearts:

Give Kids the World was founded in 1986 and has added features through the years. It now has a Children's Village complete with ice cream "palace" and a train to ride. The organization helps these children and their families enjoy a Central Florida vacation that includes accomodations, attraction tickets and meals, at no cost to the families.

Proctor and Gamble is one of some corporations that assist with fund raising and promotion for Give Kids the World.  At least once a year you can find coupon inserts in your Sunday newspaper (it's in our paper the first Sunday of July, 2004) with special promotion incentives to use those coupons between two dates, and Proctor and Gamble will donate $0.10 for each coupon redeemed up to $500,000 to Give Kids the World.  Look in your local Sunday newspaper this time of year for that coupon insert if you'd like to help out.

If you are interested in Proctor and Gamble products:

The Proctor and Gamble Company
One Proctor and Gamble Plaza
Cincinnati OH   45202
513-983-1100
http://www.brandsaver.com

If you are interested in donating to Give Kids the World:

Give Kids the World
210 S. Bass Road
Kissimmee FL   34746
1-407-396-1114
http://www.gktw.org

I just clicked around on the site, and it's slick, easy to navigate, and it looks very fun and inspiring!  There is more than one way to donate to Give Kids the World.  You can also buy a paving brick or donate items the resort needs or themed merchandising.  Just click around on the site and you'll learn and see more about how to help Give Kids the World help children with life threatening illnesses enjoy a wonderful vacation.

If you have a child with a life threatening illness and want to inquire further about an Orlando vacation for that child or if you want to volunteer or find out more information about Give Kids the World:

1-800-995-KIDS (5437)
http://www.gktw.org

Click on "Hope" or "Wish Granting" for more information.  Also, if you go to the bottom of the "Wish Granting" page, you'll be referred to a database of wish granting organizations in all 50 states and in some international countries that work with Give Kids the World in making Central Florida vacation dreams come true.

Elsewhere you can see a list of the corporate and business sponsors of the resort, and WDW is right up there.

If anyone volunteers here or visits this resort, do please feel free to post what your experiences are under this thrad topic, in order to assist others in knowing what Give Kids the World is like.  Thanks.
Profile PM
Subscribe to the Disney Echo
ladymarganne Offline
Maggie

ModEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: July 04, 2004, 11:39 am Quote

Thank you sooooo much, Carol, for mentioning this truly wonderful place! Last year Clive and I visited the Village for the first time after sending in several donations. We purposely stayed away because I was selfish and didn't think I could take looking at those wonderful little faces, knowing what lie ahead. I was wrong! They taught me the lesson of a lifetime! It is absolutely not a sad place at all....it was one of the most uplifting experiences of my life! Everyone there has such a positive attitude and the staff as well as the children and their families give new meaning to the word *happy*. I have soooo many stories that I could tell and have no idea where to begin. The Village has their own special pool, miniature golf course, theater (which is wonderfully painted with murals), an ice cream shoppe and a special little *restaurant* where Clive and I were treated to dinner one night. And, all this is free to those who stay there. They have about 90 wonderful cottages for families to stay and it is also beautifully landscaped with it's own train system as well. Every Thursday night is *Christmas* complete with present and Santa. Unfortunately, this is because some of the children who go there may not see Christmas again. Some of the things they need are batteries, blank tapes, and Christmas wrapping paper. While there, each family who does not have a camcorder is allowed to borrow one from the Village so they can tape their experience and have something to remember their trip.
If you'd like to see some of the photos from our first trip...we try to visit whenever we go...you can click on the link here.
I hope some of you will take the time to visit, too. Oh! Another thing we do is collect all the soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc., that we get in the WDW resorts (as well as other hotels) and send these, too. They use them for the welcome bags. I collect anything that people want to donate and usually bring them with us when we go.
http://www.ladymarganne.com/kids_001.htm

--------------
Maggie / ladymarganne
modEARator emEARitus

http://www.ladymarganne.com/florida_001.htm
If you're looking to buy your dream home in Florida ... check it out! I've been a licensed real estate agent in Florida for over 25 years and love Orlando homes!
Profile PM WEB AOL YIM
ladymarganne Offline
Maggie

ModEARator emEARitus

Group: modEARator emEARitus
Posted: July 04, 2004, 11:48 am Quote

I'd like to add that it doesn't have to be a life-threatening illness as they do take kids with chronic illnesses like cebral palsy and spina bifida. They also have a special club for local kids who'd like to go for the day or the weekend. This is truly a wonderful cause.

--------------
Maggie / ladymarganne
modEARator emEARitus

http://www.ladymarganne.com/florida_001.htm
If you're looking to buy your dream home in Florida ... check it out! I've been a licensed real estate agent in Florida for over 25 years and love Orlando homes!
Profile PM WEB AOL YIM
dizneluver9 Offline
Kelly D./KDizne/Dizneluver/NDA#5 <>

Disney Quotes, Disney CDs & Music, and Disabilities/Special

Group: ModEARator
Posted: July 14, 2004, 12:22 pm Quote

I LOVE GIVE KIDS THE WORLD!!!

most of Make A Wish's children who wish for Disney trips stay in the village.  They also help us with Disney Cruise wishes...something which I am very grateful for since my first wish child just got her Disney cruise wish...she had a blast!  :bigsmile:

--------------
Formerly a DS CM, RD CM, Operation Participant CM with on property child care provider and with in roomchild care provider (KNO)

Fiancé to the wonderful Tait B

NDA #5 to CJD, EHD, DAD, RSH, MNH, CT, QT, BT and CBT

Ck out DIZNELUVER'S WORLD
All Things Disney From KD'S Persperspective!

www.dizneluversworld.com

PAST TRIPS

DL
April 1971, when I was 9 months old ...yes 9 months old! :D

WDW
Too many  to count and/or to mention all of them....:D

DCL
Wonder - October 2003
Dream - Feb/March 2011 aka WDW RADIO CRUISE 1.0

NEXT TRIP

Summer 2013
DCL Wonder to Alaska with my sweetie for my HONEYMOON!!!! :D
Profile PM WEB
sadizney Offline
Sandy

Posted: July 15, 2004, 10:33 pm Quote

I've seen "Give Kids the World" on TV. It looks incredible! kudos to the creator! I would love to visit to see the looks on the kids' faces! Kelly, I was telling my husband about how you greet kids from MAW at the airport. I can't even imagine how incredible it must make you feel to see the elated looks on these children's faces when they get there.

--------------
:waver:  :magic:
WDW trips: Apr.'74, 'Aug. 78, Aug. '80, Aug.'84, June '86, Oct. '86, March '87, Oct. '90,  June '92,  Aug. '92, Jan. '93, Aug. '93, Nov. '94, Aug.'95, Aug.'96, June '97, Aug.'98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July 2005, June/July 2006, Feb. '07, July '07, June '08, August '09 . November '09, August '10. July '11. June/July 2012, October 2012
DL trips: April '88, Oct. '91, June '95, Aug. '95
DCL trip: April '08
Five Parks, Four Worlds, One Dream, One Man :tinkflying:
VMK Name: Sanderella :ArielSparkle: Left to right: Barb, me and Bob

Here's wishing I was 1228.25 miles closer to "home."

"PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Profile PM
CarolKoster Offline
Carol Koster

Posted: July 16, 2004, 2:21 pm Quote

Ladymarganne mentioned the GKTW could use Christmas items.  There's also a "wish list" of many other items, too.  Note:  They want new or unused condition items.

http://www.gktw.org/docs/wishlist
Profile PM
aimsicle Offline
Amy Liggett

Disney EchoEar Mouseter

Posted: July 17, 2004, 12:46 am Quote

This is a cause near and dear to my heart.  I don't know if I have mentioned this, but my son Zachary had cystic fibrosis.  When he was first diagnosed at 3 months, they put him in the hospital to start his treatment regime.  I met several other children with cf, and one girl who had cf who was about to go to WDW as her wish from the Make a Wish Foundation.  I was so happy for her as I knew her family definitely could not have afforded it otherwise.  I wondering at the time that when Zachary's turn came up to make a wish, would he choose Disneyworld?  Maybe that is part of the reason I chose it for his birthday, too.

Any chronic illness takes a toll on the family's finances.  At one point we were paying 20% of a $1200 prescription monthly, and that was just one of the prescriptions.  I imagine that is part of the reason they have this for not-so-life threatening illnesses. (They have financial aid for some people, but for those of us on the cusp of qualifying, it can take a big chunk out of your finances).

Also, for children with chronic illnesses, even if they are not considered life-threatening, it can turn on a dime.  For instance, my son did not really die of cystic fibrosis (current life expectancy is mid-30s with a realistic hope of a cure soon).  He was refusing to eat so they gave him a g-button so we could force more calories.  We later found out that he was refusing to eat because he had thrush in his throat, and the g-button surgery forced the thrush into his bloodstream and gave him an infection that took his life 48 hours later.

A month later a 12 year old girl I had worked with who had cerebral palsy contracted a urinary tract infection.  I do not know the details, but within hours she had sepsis (like Zachary) and died.

I may see if I can visit the place on our trip (I didn't even know that was an option until now).  It truly sounds wonderful.  Children with these life-threatening illnesses have an inner strength that would put most of us adults to shame.  I am so glad that Disney has this for them!

Amy

--------------
Profile PM YIM
dizneluver9 Offline

Posted: July 19, 2004, 3:50 pm Quote

If anybody would like to go to GIVE KIDS THE WORLD (GKTW)while you are here and need a ride just give me a shout and I am there for ya!

The guy who founded GKTW has an amazing story.  He was a Holocaust Survivor who decided to settle down in Orlando to run hotels.  He met one child who was in town for "her wish" and he was profoundly touched by her expierience....(The GKTW website does this story much more justice) :) He asked other people who ran hotels in the area to donate money to make GKTW and the rest they say is history! :D

--------------
Formerly a DS CM, RD CM, Operation Participant CM with on property child care provider and with in roomchild care provider (KNO)

www.dizneluversworld.com

PAST TRIPS

DL

WDW

DCL
Wonder - October 2003

NEXT TRIP

Summer 2013
Profile PM WEB
rjmom Offline
Jodi

Newbie Disney EchoEar

Posted: July 23, 2004, 10:49 pm Quote

We arrive in Orlando next Friday for our stay at GKTW.  My kids are VERY excited!
Profile PM
dizneluver9 Offline

Posted: July 24, 2004, 10:12 pm Quote

RJ ...if you want my phone number just PM me and feel free to call me for ANYTHING while you are here! KD <>< :)

--------------

www.dizneluversworld.com

PAST TRIPS

DL

WDW

DCL
Wonder - October 2003

NEXT TRIP

Summer 2013
Profile PM WEB
15 replies since July 04, 2004, 8:54 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Mouseke-Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) Jump to first page No Pages [1] 2 Next Page Jump to last page
Reply to Topic New Topic New Poll

Quick Reply: Give Kids The World charity
Mouseke-Code Buttons
You are Posting as:
Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable MickEmoticons for this post?
Mouseke-Track this topic
View All MickEmoticons
View Mouseke-Code

Please Support Our Sponsors:
Disney Echo Amazon.com and Disney Echo Ink Shop
for Disney Echo Buttons!

Add your Disney picture to our EchoEars' Slideshow

Click here to get a Disney Echo Slideshow for your desktop!

The FANtasEARS Disney Fan Club and Disney Echo has been visited
times by Disney fans since June 18, 1998. We're glad you dropped by!

The Disney Echo is proud to be mentioned in PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, and The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

The Disney Echo is for like-minded individuals who gather here to discuss all aspects of The Walt Disney Company who have agreed to follow the Disney Echo Rules. All participants are welcome! We're not affiliated with nor endorsed by The Walt Disney Company, so you are free to share your opinions and join the fun Disney Spirit without having to toe the company line. Visit the official Disney web site by clicking here. The Disney Echo and FANtasEars Fan Club are not responsible for any damages that may be a result of the use of the information supplied on these pages. The viewer agrees to this by viewing the pages. Our Privacy Statement